How to pay for Gringo Medical Care in DR?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
The pedestrian goes to hospital, and hopes the driver pays before the pedestrian's family kill the driver.

Sorry to sound flippant but that is the way it is.

Matilda

I was actually thinking if the pedestrian was the extranjero being hit by an uninsured Dominican driver.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You sound very patriotic.

I'm not patriotic to this country.

I came here because of my need to retire in a tropical Island, and at the time the D-R was the easiest residency to get (at the time).
Unfortunately when God was handing out countries to the nations he gave good climate and nice landscapes and beutiful beaches to the wrong people.

I use the D-R forum to get information from people who are well informed of how to make the best of a possible bad situation, if you don't like it don't EVER read my posts or answer them.

Good-Bye to you.

I'm not being patriotic. I'm not even dominican. I just think that if I were you, and being that this country was the most willing (as you put it) to take me in when I needed to retire, I would try to be a little more constructive. If you read this whole thread, you'll see I provided you with a lot of info and tried to answer your every question, precisely because having lived here for 12 years I think I can share my experience with those who might find it helpful. I just thought you are not being very assertive lately.
I won't stop reading you, if you don't mind that is, because I think everybody has good things to contribute to this forum, even those who think a foreign country owes him/her something. I did not mean to upset you, and I'm sorry if I did in anyway.
The bad thing about pessimism is that it is contagious...

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I'm not being patriotic. I'm not even dominican. I just think that if I were you, and being that this country was the most willing (as you put it) to take me in when I needed to retire, I would try to be a little more constructive. If you read this whole thread, you'll see I provided you with a lot of info and tried to answer your every question, precisely because having lived here for 12 years I think I can share my experience with those who might find it helpful. I just thought you are not being very assertive lately.
I won't stop reading you, if you don't mind that is, because I think everybody has good things to contribute to this forum, even those who think a foreign country owes him/her something. I did not mean to upset you, and I'm sorry if I did in anyway.
The bad thing about pessimism is that it is contagious...

O-K,
Let by-gones be by-gones.. as they say.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I was treated twice in DR medically. First time when I got bit by a cat who wouldnt leave our truck engine, so I forced the issue. I went to a Hospiten they are private hospitals I believe French. I was in Santo Domingo. I had the wound cleaned a shot of GamaGobulin (However you spell it) and the first of a series of DR Rabies shots. The hospital was clean I was treated promptly and I paid ER fee and treatment by CC. I think it came to 210US. Not bad I thought. Overall I was very pleased. Then I jumped in a hole (Long Story) and cracked my head open in Juan Dolio. I went to the clinic the next day because I needed stitches. There I was treated well wound was cleaned throughly all the antibiotics administered. And I took my stitches with my head resting on the doctors ample breasts. That eased the pain better than the medication. First time I actually enjoyed a hospital visit. The wound healed well as if stitched by a seamstress. No infections or other issues. I also remember a complete motor skills test I believe to be sure no concussion. I paid about 185US by CC. I had 7US refunded my my US insurance.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I was actually thinking if the pedestrian was the extranjero being hit by an uninsured Dominican driver.

Uninsured Dominican driver drives off. Local Dominicans pick up injured extranjero pedestrian and take him to local hospital or clinic where extranjero has to foot bill.

Matilda

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I paid about $2000 US by CC when my wife had a cold turn into pneumonia and had to be in Union Medica in Santiago for 4 days.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
See my post above. I WAS a pedestrian (and I am an extranjera) hit by a Dominican taxi driver who refused to provide insurance information!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
(...) I jumped in a hole (Long Story) and cracked my head open (...)

i think i want to hear the story. it sounds like something that could happen to me. the only person in the world who split open a head after walking into three storey building.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
The stories I read here are scary. What do woman do if they have a miscarriage? Let fetus pass on its own, or surgery d & c, or the pill that provokes it out?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miscarriage is largely involuntarily, it just happens. a woman will be checked to see if all is fine and "cleaned" inside, if needed. if the pregnancy is further along and the foetus is dead she may receive some misoprostol to encourage abortion.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no problem, i have friends who had miscarried. they were both well taken care of and no damage done. so much that one has been a mother twice already and another one is just about to pop :)
DR is antiabortion but there is no saving dead baby. doctors know that.

i do not know about those things being covered with insurance. even i am not that rude to ask.