How to survive economical crisis?:

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
Poor little AZB.

Wow AZB, thanks for those funny posts! Anyone who has been reading you posts lately can attest to you constant complaining about how bad your business is, how you can't afford this or that, etc. etc. It is always be clear, however, that you are the proverbial "rich-boy" who likes to act like he works for a living. It seems that you, like many gringos, think that foreigners only are involved in bars, restuarants, etc. as businesses. This is a clear reflection on your lack of knowledge of the country that you live in. I am very sorry that you lost money on your business with gringos, but that is more a statement about your type of business than about your clients. There are quite a few people making quite a bit of money in this economy now, but this is obviously not in your small world.I hate to bust your elitist bubble, but the foreigners that make money here, serious money, do not hang out with your circle of people who own run bars and hot dog stands, nor do they hang out with your PPH chopo friends like you are so enamored with. So go ahead, strut out of your rented apartment, climb in your ancient toyota, and show all your chopo friends what a success you are. And by the way, when they are laughing, keep telling yourself that they are laughing with you, not at you. AZB, the consumate gringo...............

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Kiteman,

Thanks for saving me the trouble of having to reply to AZB's thread. You hit the nail right on the head.
Next time I am in the DR the Drinks at the CCSD are on me!

Tony C.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Thats it!!!!!!!!

The Band-Wagon, stops here.

If this thread, does not turn around, starting with the next post...

IT'S LOCKED. :bandit:

Thanks
Tim H.:cool:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Kiteman, since you are encircled by the rich upper class society people in this country, why not let us hear some insights into the culture we all don't seem to have a grip upon? I don't remember a single productive post by you, either entertaining or not. You seem to just sit under your rock and wait to stick out your tongue to catch a fly. I have seen many bullshit artist like you who are full of hot air. There are people who are making money but they certainly don't talk like you. I never said I am rich but I also never mention that I eat bananas to stay alive either. You seem to deviate from one extreme to another.
I think the real problem is that you are one of those old unhappy gringos who act like big guys to their employees and then crumble to their fat old wrinkled wives. All chicken shit inside yet big talk on the outside.
I enjoy total freedom and get what you only dream about in your fantasy.
Now tonyC, you know what I think of you. Only you have to look at yourself in the mirror and your honeymoon goes to toilet bowl. I feel sorry for you too, such an intelligent man yet in such a horrible body.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
My name is Robert, I've been off the ?economic crisis? for almost 1yr now...

Like in any crisis, some win, some loose.

Any company that can survive the next 12 months will be much stronger when they come out of the other side.

Rightly or wrongly, those companies that deal in dollars are doing ok and growing stronger.

At DR1 we deal in dollars and we have seen a massive amount of growth this year.
Not so much in the number of people, but the volume of work and turnover.

This country still has a huge amount of opportunities, especially in the tourism sector.
You just need the people and connections to execute these projects.
The money is often the easy part of the equation.

Kiteman ? You have a way with words, then again, so does AZB.

Can we have a liitle less of the "handbags" and try and stick to constructive and informative posts.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok Kiteman, we both had our says so now lets get back to topic.
Right now all the people who make money in dollars are cheering but I must warn you that your honeymoon can be over soon if the current economical situation is not resolved soon. The vast majority of dominicans don't make money like you folks do so there can be a very huge polical/social unrest in this country if the lives continue to become difficult and the quality of living continue to free-fall.
There would be massive riots on the streets and the country could come to a stand still. The zona franca employees will not work for wadges that can't pay for food, thus, you rich dollars flashing gringos can find yourselves trapped in a corner.
We must get serious about this mess rather than saying "oh, I am not affected as I work with tourist, zona franca etc and make money in dollars". This all can change over night. People are fed up with this current government and won't wait long before they strike back.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB?

I agree with you? Social unrest on a massive scale will cause problems for everyone, regardless of your place on the food chain.

The thing is, I just can?t see a massive backlash happening.
Yes, we have seen sporadic social unrest, but nothing on the
scale of countries like Venezuela.

May 6 2004 is just around the corner, and I feel people will take this opportunity to voice their dislike of the current situation and government.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
AZB, I agree with you on this. Anyone gloating over how far the peso has fallen and how much money they are making in dollars simply doesn't appreciate what a dangerous situation the country is in. I hope that a cork can be kept in the bottle until May 6.

Last edited:

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
AZB,

I always felt that I was "on topic". My initial point was simply that a person like yourself could conceivably expand or move your business to another geographic/economic area in order to prosper in this time of economic uncertainty. In fact, being a gringo "english-speaker" you could possibly do very well. This, I believe, addresses the topic "How to survive in economical (sic) crisis?". On a personal note, I tire of your constant inflammatory posts about the state of affairs in Santiago and the DR in general as they are too general and paint an unfair picture of the true state of business in the this country. I have interests in two companies in Santiago and they are both doing very well, could be better, but very well. I think that your information reflects your world but you imply that it is all-incompassing and therefore does a disservice to those who are reading these posts and are left with an unfair picture of the true state of affairs that exist here. I know almost nothing about your " rich upper class society people" so I cannot enlighten you about their lives or their impact on the culture. I do, however, know quite a few business people here, both foreign and domestic, who have thriving businesses. Of course they suffering with the current economic problems, but this is the nature of business. Economies tend to be cyclical in nature. It may shock you to know, but most people who are successful in business are usually always successful in business, in good times and bad, as they have learned to adapt and survive. Gloating Ken? To say that some businesses are thriving even with the economic problems is hardly gloating, simply a fact. Most business people (myself included) are keenly aware of the economic situation, far more than a simple observer. As far your "dollar flashing gringos" and "oh I am not affected because I because I earn in dollars" statement is further evidence that we live in the same country but in different worlds. I'm sure this type of bragging is prevalent in the low-class chopo social circles but I am thankfully rarely exposed to this behavior. Most people have learned over the years that the guys who brag about money and girls usually have little of one and none of the other. And as far as your personal jabs, sorry, I just refuse to respond. If it helps you to know, I am thirty-seven years old, surf almost every day, economically self-sufficient, married with three children, and feel blessed with the life I have here in Cabarete.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Kiteman, all the power to you, I wish i had your life style. Not everyone is born as fortunate as you so enjoy it while you can.
However, I must stress my point: I kid you not when I mention of the current hardship dominicans are felling at the moment. When I used to live in the north coast, I too saw this country with rosy glasses but now that I live among dominicans, its all too different. Just because a few companies are making money that doesn't mean anything. The vast majority of companies are suffering in DR and many are on the verge of financial bankruptcy. I know your business is thriving and you are racking in dollars but please don't think everyone is as fortunate as yourself.
DR always had its share of problems but no one has seen this country in such a condition as this. The situation is very difficult for the majority and even the rich are feeling the pain. Please note my words, if the situation becomes any worse, get ready to see venezuela part II perform here. It will become ugly. Just note my words and wait. Thats all I have to say at the moment. Of course I don't want to see any social unrest but I have a bad feeling on this one.

P.S. I never said I am rich so what is the issue here? About the girl business, I can prove that anyday. Not really a big deal at all.

Kiteman, if you really think I am exaggerating my outlook on santiago from my own little world? Ask people who actually live here ex: DMS, hillbilly and others who actually live in santiago and know real average dominicans. If you still don't believe me, then come to santiago and let me show you with your own eyes. Let me take you to a few business and let you talk to a few people. If you l;ike to stay the night, let me take you near where they burn the tires and fire guns. But we must go in your car because I am not interested in damaging my vehicle (I am not as rich as you). If you still have your doubts then let me take you to licey and let you see it all for yourself. Ask the zona franca owners about the riots on licey santiago road. No, I am still full of shit. let me take you to some business of some rich dominicans and let you talk to them as well.
You see, cabarete is not DR. its a surf city, a dead city indeed. I am surprised you called santiago a depressed city when you live in cabarete yourself. I thought you lived in santo dominigo. Please don't even compare cabarete to santiago.
I am even surprised to see that you consider cabarete a prosperous city. That only shows to tell what type of a world you live in. I will be in cabarete this weekend, maybe if you have time, you can show me a few people are are racking in big bucks?
Kiteman, I mean no disrespect, but do you even speak spanish?

Last edited:

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
AZB,

I have lived in this country for a little over 13 years now, first in the Capital, then on the North Coast when I started a family. I am very aware of areas such as Licey as one of my first large investments was there and of which I still own a majority share. I visit Licey about once every two weeks, usually while returning from Santiago. Licey, for your information, has always been a hot-spot for strikes. Yes we can both agree that the country is suffering economically and those businesses that for whatever reason cannot adapt are going under. I myself have put on the back burner a large project in the Capital that I have spent two years in organizing the permissions and money for as it depends soley upon the local economy. And until the economy stabilizes, I will not proceed with it and simply concentrate on the dollar-based opportunities. If you are seeking a stable, reliable economy that has moderate cycles, you are in the wrong place. Having said that, you may want to talk to some real-estate people while you are in Cabarete this weekend. You will find that the real estate market in the Cabarete area is booming and some of those in the real estate and associated industries are making some serious money (which is in stark contrast to the real estate market in Santiago for example, now a true buyers market). Once again, AZB, you assume that every gringo other than yourself is some type of bumbling idiot who spends their days in a drunken haze chasing hookers. You seem to be trapped into the gringo/touristy world of 10 am beers, hard luck stories and explaining to new arrivals "how it really is". Your perceptions of life here are just that, yours, based upon your experiences here which seem to reflect the stereotypical ex-pat lifestyles that one finds in the tourist enclaves scattered around the island. And to answer your question, yes, I am fluent in Spanish having spent several years of my childhood in Madrid with my mothers family. My wife is spanish, speaks little english, my kids speak both english and spanish equally well, but our home is almost 100% spanish (magazines, movies, newspapers, etc.). Almost every foreigner in my circle of friends and associates speak spanish, and I find it odd when I encounter a gringo who does not, but once again, that's the difference between my world and yours.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, so you have a point. I will take you more seriously as you don't fit the typical gringo / tourist mold from my little world. I will be in your part of town this weekend and will check around to see what I can do to make some changes to better adapt to new changes. Lets see if I can work there a couple of days out of the week. I do have alot of patients coming from the north coast. I have always heard nothing but sobbing stories from ex pats who own businesses in the north coast area. I never see any movements in bars or restaurants in the area. Many of my dominican friends and even foreign friends who were in tourism business have either relocated to other areas ex: punta cana, la romana or went belly up. I had totally the opposite vision of cabarete and sosua. Maybe things might have changed for better. Good to hear that and I hope to see it with my own eyes this weekend.

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
AZB,

I think that could possibly work out very well for you. For example, the massage therapist my wife uses occasionally now maintains a waiting list of around 8 days, while a year ago, she was in dire straits, working as a waitress with almost no clients for her massage business. This last year has seen many Americans & Canadians moving here that are used to more luxuries (for lack of a better word) and are willing to pay for it. You might want to stop by and talk to the folks at Servi-Med in the middle of Cabarete, maybe you guys could work out some sort of arrangement whereas you could test the market using their offices or something of that nature. Anyway, I wish you the best and I hope you have a nice weekend.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I still "LOVE YOU" AZB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I know the difference between your "Hyperbole",and reality,even if others don't!
I could say the same things! Like for example;"I had "Pan con Chocolate" for breakfast because I can't afford to eat eggs any more!"
Not true,but I am trying to make a point about the sorry state of our economy!

Just the other day I posted that you should only sleep with 2 girls at a time,not 4,because you have to "Tighten Your Belt!"

I recommend that you end your sessions with a little "Sexual Satisfaction" for your patients!!!That will increase your traffic!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC