How to use Wi-Fi at home via Smartphone without being charged?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Connecting a WiFi-capable phone to a wireless router should be a slam dunk.

Just turn on the phone's WiFi. If the router is on, it should find it. Then type in the WEP password.

There should be no "searching for IP..."

It sounds like the OP is truing to access the WiFi through the data connection, not the WiFi.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
So, like I suspected. It was the router. When changing security setting from "wep" to "open" it connects right away. But thats not what I want. I want it to connect to my network, when the network has a security mode enabled... Don't want that anybody can get access...

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
The "Obtaining IP address......" issue is a known Android problem. Google "Obtaining IP Address" and read the hits on the Android forum.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from miesposo:
to check OS: settings, about phone, firmware version

re-set your router at home to see if it helps you connect.
check compatibility of router and the phone (check specs).

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
hmmmm...... Smartphone huh?...... don't sound too smart to me......lol

sorry I had to

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Reminds me of that Geico commercial..."When people do dumb things with smart phones..." lol

Back to your issue....if you absolutely, positively can't get the security to work, you do have another option (besides getting another router)

Go into your router, and change the SSID to be non broadcasting. Then you can change the security setting to off (yikes!). To connect to a non broadcasting wifi, you have to correctly enter the name, so at least you have some type of deterrent against neighbors mooching your bandwidth.

Before you go this route, just be on the safe side and change the password (to something easy) and try it again. I have had Android phones since T-mobile first carried the G1...and the only time I have run into that is a mismatch of security settings and/or password. In this scenario I would not rule out a bum router.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Almost forgot...

I have a great tip for the members here regarding routers. You can turn your cheepie $60 router into an enterprise class $600 router using a simple firmware update. The project is called DD-WRT and what they do is replace the often buggy factory software (firmware) with one that is much more stable and has a staggering amount of options.

I have actually grabbed left for dead routers and brought them back to life with this updated firmware...breathing new life into these devices and continued duty.

Pro's: It is more stable than factory software, gives added functionality, and the best part...its free!

Gotcha's: If you mess up the process, you could render your router useless. Reading and following the instructions makes this almost foolproof. Also it probably voids any warranty.

Normal

Oct 16, 2011
caribmike,

Are you sure you are using WEP? If so, you may want to see if you can configure your router to use WPA2. WEP is over 10 years old and not very secure at all. It may solve your issue as well as provide you a much more secure wireless network.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes it was on WEP, and there is an issue between Galaxy Ace and WEP. Switching security off, it connects right away. Changing security into WPA2 it connects right away after entering PW.

Solved, thanks all.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Good luck. Hope it works when you try connect to a router that's not yours and you can't change the security settings.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
As a total luddite with a "dumb" phone and this $200 netbook...I am in complete awe of you SMART people who helped solve the OP's problem-- WTG!!:speechles