How/why do you live in DR?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Reply to Forbeca:

Forbeca, dont take this the wrong way and Im not trying to be a smart ass here, but isnt that the point of a message board? to post questions and concerns to be able to hear other people's opinions? Im not asking any personal questions, I just want some input from people who have lived both worlds...

My mother is the only one who lives in DR permanently, the rest of my family is still traveling back and forth. Im the only professional in my family and unfortunately the friends that I have there cant really help with the type of work I would be looking for.

It seems so out there for me to move b/c its scary thought to move out of a country like the US, the land mostly known for its opportunity. I have been here most of my life and I have a very good job, nice benefits and doing well. so to leave all that behind right now can be a dounting thought.

I have read some of the other threads and I see a lot of posts have many negative things to say about the USA, I have my gripes, but its still a very big part of me.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Talldrink said:
Forbeca, dont take this the wrong way and Im not trying to be a smart ass here, but isnt that the point of a message board? to post questions and concerns to be able to hear other people's opinions? Im not asking any personal questions, I just want some input from people who have lived both worlds...

Point taken. If you're mom is not a business person and your friends are not in the same line of work as you, you don't really have a solid understanding of how the DR works.

I suggest you make important contacts during those visits to the DR, keep reading dr1 and gather as much info as you can. The answer will come to you. Just don't be in a rush. These things take time.

Regards,

Rebecca

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Just as an observer, here's a semi-scoop on DR1ers and their professions.

Retirees
Hospitality (bar, restaurant, hotel)
Professors
ESL teachers
Farm owners
Bath product distributors
Real estate
Computer industry
Mining industry
Chiropractor
Import/Export Customs
Website owners
Photographers
Consulting

I don't live in the DR. I volunteer there, though. Good luck.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jobs that pay in Green Backs

Now is the start of the Dominican High Tourist Season, If you have any expertise in Sales.....Real-Estate co. or Timeshare/Vacation Clubs are paying in US $$$$ ...

Gringo

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Thanks!

Thank you everyone. Rebeca, it does make sense to get to know different people out there. I want to go during Semana Santa, maybe I can meet some of you folks :eek:)

When I have gone there in the past I'm usually so tired of the business world I feel like taking a break and I do what the typical Dominicans do over there. I drink Presidentes all day long, go to the beach and go dancing every night. Next time I go I will make it a point to the to know the 'other' world in DR.

This is the first site that I have seen that actually has educated people posting about DR. Im very impressed with all that I have read so far. You guys make me want to live there!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Semana Santa!

Talldrink said:
I want to go during Semana Santa, maybe I can meet some of you folks

:confused:

That's one week you will not meet me and Alba unless you trudge up here to Xanadu. Most ex-pats who live here long enough learn to buy enough food and liquor to last four to five days, and stay home and batten down the hatches that week. Just too crazy and dangerous out there. Other good times to become a homebody in the DR are New Year's, Christmas, Huelga Day, Election month, and any evening on which the Aguilla's post a victory.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Re: Semana Santa!

XanaduRanch said:
:confused:

That's one week you will not meet me and Alba unless you trudge up here to Xanadu. Most ex-pats who live here long enough learn to buy enough food and liquor to last four to five days, and stay home and batten down the hatches that week. Just too crazy and dangerous out there. Other good times to become a homebody in the DR are New Year's, Christmas, Huelga Day, Election month, and any evening on which the Aguilla's post a victory.

Tom (aka XR)

where in the hell is Xanadu?? never heard of it!

oh, I told you when i'm there im the typical dominican chick, i love it around those times. I was just there this past december...