How will kids that are 6 or 7 years old learn to read and write? Add 2 +2 ?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
For the past 6 months I have become active in Lil League baseball in a very small village outside of JD. If that poverty and need wasn't enough to shake me up, I now am trying to respond to some adults in the village as to how their kids are going to learn on tablets, tv and radios. Their houses are nothing more than stacks with tin roofs and the poverty level is right down there at the bottom.
I would welcome any advise, suggestions, tips, as to how they can be home schooled until Covid passes. ANY ideas are worth throwing out there.Many of the adults have had very little schooling themselves. Most are not working. It's pitiful to see the life of a 6 year old going down the drain before he even has a chance.

I asked one single mom, that goes to work 6 days week what she was going to do with her 6 year old. "Well, there is a 10 y.o. that lives across the street that loves to study and read. . .she is trying to help him." That's the best that they have going for them right now.
Any suggestions?

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
For the past 6 months I have become active in Lil League baseball in a very small village outside of JD. If that poverty and need wasn't enough to shake me up, I now am trying to respond to some adults in the village as to how their kids are going to learn on tablets, tv and radios. Their houses are nothing more than stacks with tin roofs and the poverty level is right down there at the bottom.
I would welcome any advise, suggestions, tips, as to how they can be home schooled until Covid passes. ANY ideas are worth throwing out there.Many of the adults have had very little schooling themselves. Most are not working. It's pitiful to see the life of a 6 year old going down the drain before he even has a chance.

I asked one single mom, that goes to work 6 days week what she was going to do with her 6 year old. "Well, there is a 10 y.o. that lives across the street that loves to study and read. . .she is trying to help him." That's the best that they have going for them right now.
Any suggestions?

There are many resources available for homeschooling.
The problem would be accessing the materials and for the little ones, they need a teacher.
It depends how involved you want to get. You could purchase, download and print the materials - you could probably also find free resources online.
You could teach a group (maybe outside, with masks, sitting far away from one another) or find someone who could do that.
That's all I got - I'm a teacher.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The problem would be accessing the materials and for the little ones, they need a teacher.
It depends how involved you want to get. You could purchase, download and print the materials - you could probably also find free resources online.
You could teach a group (maybe outside, with masks, sitting far away from one another) or find someone who could do that.
So far I have asked one person to teach.She is a university grad that was a "teacher's assistant" pre Covid. She turned me down. I'll work on her a bit more. One of the 6 year old kids is her nephew.
That's all I have so far until I arrive back in the DR next week. Slim pickings.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I envy you. I could never be a teacher. Every teacher I've met has had something special about them that really impressed me. Definitely a gift.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
So far I have asked one person to teach.She is a university grad that was a "teacher's assistant" pre Covid. She turned me down. I'll work on her a bit more. One of the 6 year old kids is her nephew.
That's all I have so far until I arrive back in the DR next week. Slim pickings.

Good for you! It would be super helpful to find some resources to work with - you need a framework and structure. K-12 in the DR is not my area but maybe some others could provide you with some useful links?

Reactions: johne

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thank you! I love teaching but it's not for everyone. May we all find our niche!
It is amazing the amount of teachers children we get in our school that have,been taught nothing by the parent that is a teacher. Good teachers are to be valued and appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: MikeFisher

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Johne, I just got back to Boca Chica myself today. This coming Sunday when I go back to church, I will ask what they think is needed the most. Anything I get I will share.

Reactions: johne

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Johne, I just got back to Boca Chica myself today. This coming Sunday when I go back to church, I will ask what they think is needed the most. Anything I get I will share.
Great. I will be there Monday for 3 1/2 weeks. Anything will help.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Realistically, 6-7 year olds shouldn’t be expected to do too much sit down, pencil to paper based work. They need to learn from a variety of ways, the best of which (for any age level) is hands on.
Reading to them is paramount. I can email you PDFs of a variety of lower level books in Spanish or English if you are able to print them? Apparently there are books stores close to Parque Enriquillo in SD that carry children’s books in Spanish for reasonable prices, but I haven’t personally checked. New books can cost a fortune.
La Sirena, maaaaaybe Iberia, or Jumbo might have gradelevelled workbook type materials that you could photocopy, but that age shouldn’t really do much of that for more than an hour per day. I could also send some links on Amazon.
As far as Math goes, lots of counting and sorting is where to start. Colored buttons, blocks, or even stones could be an idea. I have some English plans/resources that you could translate or possibly use somehow.
I would be willing to email you further ideas/resources if you are interested in any of that.
My specialty is high school Lit and Humanities, but I have been doing some elementary for about 5 years now and have accumulated quite bit that I could share.