Huge concert in Santo Domingo

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Originally Posted by El Uruguayo
And usually people who are "better" than others don't go around piping all over the place "I'm better than you", they know it, and don't need to say it. Being vocal about it shows some sort of insecurity.

When people don't get the point, they overly simplify it. I am not saying I am better then him or her. I am simply saying be yourself. If you don't socialize with barrio / project folks in USA, then why do the same here? If you don't like to date your plumber in NY or go bar hopping with your car mechanic when why do the same here? If you wouldn't marry a mexican dishwasher who works in waffle house in alabama then why would you fall head over heels over a guy who is a motoconcho in montellano?
You see what I am trying to say to you?
I live and socialize with folks, exactly like I did in USA. I am not acting like some big don in some barrio with green dollars in my pocket. I am not acting like some big fish in a small pond. I live in areas where I am equal to my neighbors or a bit worse off then they are. I actually look up to many around me.
On the contrary, many of you visiting foreigners just mingle with the social class that you wouldn't dare be seen with in your own home country. You spend time with folks in DR, who happen to worship you, this way you feel like the big don, for once in your life.
So please don't point the finger at me. I am not the one who is pretending to love the poor and the desperate.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Agreed...it is known as an "inferiority complex"...so if this refers to you and you dont "get it", use a dictionary if you have the ability!;)

DRloca, do you know what kind of girl we call loca here in DR?
When a girl says "yo no soy loca como ella...."
Do you know what she is implying?
So I see you chose that name, maybe it suits you well.
AZB

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Originally Posted by El Uruguayo
And usually people who are "better" than others don't go around piping all over the place "I'm better than you", they know it, and don't need to say it. Being vocal about it shows some sort of insecurity.

When people don't get the point, they overly simplify it. I am not saying I am better then him or her. I am simply saying be yourself. If you don't socialize with barrio / project folks in USA, then why do the same here? If you don't like to date your plumber in NY or go bar hopping with your car mechanic when why do the same here? If you wouldn't marry a mexican dishwasher who works in waffle house in alabama then why would you fall head over heels over a guy who is a motoconcho in montellano?
You see what I am trying to say to you?
I live and socialize with folks, exactly like I did in USA. I am not acting like some big don in some barrio with green dollars in my pocket. I am not acting like some big fish in a small pond. I live in areas where I am equal to my neighbors or a bit worse off then they are. I actually look up to many around me.
On the contrary, many of you visiting foreigners just mingle with the social class that you wouldn't dare be seen with in your own home country. You spend time with folks in DR, who happen to worship you, this way you feel like the big don, for once in your life.
So please don't point the finger at me. I am not the one who is pretending to love the poor and the desperate.
AZB

A person's job, formal education, or income aren't what consititutes of class. Would I socialize with plumbers or mechanics in Canada? That really depends on their personality, if they are decent folk, and fun to hang out with, why not? You know a good plumber can make $100 an hour, same goes for a good mechanic. But as I said money isn't the issue in determing wether or not somebody is worth my time. Would a hang out with a mexican dishwasher? Maybe, I in fact washed dishes too at one point, you know, it's called a job, it's not what defines a person - and I don't see what your point is in say "mexican" dishwasher" - like if they were of another nationality, would it be different?. You know a lot of people who come to Canada or the US from other countries, like India or Pakistan, they have degrees Nuclear Physics, or MDs, but they end up driving cabs, or working at convenience stores - I guess if they do those jobs, I should consider them below me too, right?

As for hanging out in Barrios, well I can't say I've ever done that. I've worked in Barrios, and there are a lot of good people in Barrios. You know people who are eager to learn, and improve their lives, and that of their families. Would I hang out with them? Well, no - not because they are from a barrio, but I worked with kids, so that wouldn't really work. My friends, most go to University, do they hang out with me because of all my money? No - in fact many have more than I do. I don't need to anything different than I do in Canada or Uruguay to make friends, people like to hang out with me because I am smart person, fun, easy to get along with, and down to earth - plus we enjoy some of the same music like W y Y. Do I hang out with them because they have cars or money? no, I'm sure a couple of them don't live fancy neighbourhoods, I'm not sure if they would constitute of the DR definition of "barrio", but they certainly aren't wealthy - but again, I get back to my point, they are good people, and that is my deciding factor when I choose who I want to hang out with.

As for loving the poor and desperate, I can't say I do, I can't say I don't, but I certainly don't loathe them. It's really quite the contradiction when you say things like "I love how I can fix my car for 10% of what it would cost me in the states" and then go on to say "would you hang out with a mechanic?" It seems that a lot of the things that you love about the DR are directly related to the things you hate. You love cheap labour, but hate undereducated people. What gives? I have a mental image of you going to supermarkets, gas stations, pretty much everywhere, saying to yourself "when is this chopo going to finish? why doesn't this chopa get it? why is this chopo cop pulling me over? ect ect ect" and your conversations with your friends consisting of "that's so chopo, he's a chopo, she's a chopo, that place is chopo, that shirt is chopo, we're so great, they're so chopo". Chopo Chopo chopo.

Really, I suggest a perspective adjustment on people in general. If you pretty much loathe the general population, you aren't go to be a very happy person, and you'll probably get an ulcer or something. A couple more things - don't make so many assumptions about people, and try to lay off on the discriminatory remarks against I dunno, mexicans, women, Ugly Black Hos - I don't think you would like it much of people were talking about Ugly Brown Hos.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You make it sound so Politically correct and makes some of the newbies want to believe your words. this is the problem in USA, everyone is so politically correct yet their actions speak a different language.
Examples:
I have lived in USA all my life, from NYC to LA to atlanta etc. I have yet to see many of you folks who defend the poor and labor class folks in DR or USA to actually know someone of the same level on personal basis. I have never seen a educated woman who works on wall street who makes a good income going out with a car mechanic, let alone a mexican dishwasher. The same people who defend the blacks and ethnic folks on the message board don't socialize with a single black person in USA. I have never seen a educated business man, lawyer from USA go bar hopping with his taxi driver. Give me a break man, I am not from katmandu. You do things in DR that you would never do in USA.
Now I never said I hate poor and the desperate. On the contrary, I help them when I can. I am just saying, I didn't socialize with them in USA so I don't have much in common with them here. What is there to understand? I do have poor friends and I know many poor good folks but I didn't come here only to socialize with them like most of you folks do. Why can't you live the way you lived in your own home country? What is wrong with living in good residential areas and having decent well-to-do folks as your neighbors? why does it have to be a barrio chick as my wife or my girlfriend? why is it that a shoe shine boy has to be my little friend in santiago? why is it that I must only meet and make friends with the folks in barrios? tell me why should I only do that and not the other way around?

Let me tell you what sort of a man is a mechianic and a plumber in USA. He is certainly not a MIT graduate. We all know what types of men we are talking about so leave this 100 dollars / hour issue aside. lets not play with words. can you leave this Politically BS aside and try to understand the issues?

you told me, you went to francifol cafe, gold's gym and you promised to never return to these come-mierdas. now tell me please, what have these folks done to you to deserve this attitude from you? What made you reach this conclusion that they are come-mierdas? Is it ok to demonize and dehumanize the dominicans who have earned their money and live well and not ok to think the same for the poor tigres from barrios? Yo see, you are the same, you put down the hard working domincians who have made a better living for themselves and now enjoying the fruits of their labor and yet you admire the poor who have earned exactly what they have worked for. So what was it that made you feel they were all ****, the rich? because they didn't notice you? They were not impressed with your shorts and Hawaiian shirt? they didn't blink when they heard you speak english out loud? How sad.

Anyway, try to be yourself, people will respect you more. We are not buying your politically correct BS here.
AZB

P.S. once you have lived here for a few years, then and only then you will understand what I am talking about. You american standards don't apply here.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
You make many assumptions and don't seem to fully digest what I've posted. To clear things up, I've never been to Gold's Gym, I don't know what francifol cafe is or is like, and I don't wear shorts, or hawaiian shirts (not now anyways, when I did that I was ahead of the trend :p). I also hardly spoke a word of english while in Santo Domingo, my friends are all Dominican.

As for judging people based on money, I don't do that, wether rich or poor. Neither will I judge somebody because of what they were born into, I won't think of somebody lower than me because they were born into a poor familly, nor will I assume that they are great because they were born into a rich family - all they did was be born, there is not merit on either side. If I see someobody from a lower economic bracket trying to make something of themselves, I give credit where credit is due. If I see somebody that is rich that is trying to be independant, or working hard at something I will also give them credit. It's people that are rich, who have a car, travel, and have a make-work job - all given by daddy who consider themselves "superior", that I consider "come-mierdas." Now I'm a lot younger than you, so maybe things are different, but the younger crowd of the upper crust is much like this, they have a free ride, drink champagne, wear ugly expensive cloths, and point their noses up at other people, they feel entitled to everything, above everyone, and have done nothing to do deserve it - they were born, that's it, that's all, and they are no better than your average chopo. I give respect and credit where it's due - it has nothing to do with financial status.

Now maybe somebody might be able to help me find a place where I can go on a weekend afternoon free of chopos, to enjoy some tea, scrumpets and classical music.

Last edited:

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Definately! I'm really bummed I'm going to miss this one, Wisin y Yandel sold out before I could get tickets to the show at Altos de Chavon. How much are Genarl Admission tix anyways?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
pariguayo ooppps I mean Uruguayo you just don't seem to get it do you?
You will never fit in here with this mentality of yours.
have a nice vacation in DR.
AZB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Marc Anthony and Aronja are a different (older) demographic who want a calm, quiet, sit-down type concert.

Calm, quiet, sit-down type concert??? Then Marc has changed alot in 9 years. I attended his concert in Ozama Fort in SD in 1998, and it was rocking and high energy. Full, and most of the Dominicans were on their feet, dancing or singing along. The only time everyone sat down was when Olga Ta?on did her Milly-wannabe act.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Calm, quiet, sit-down type concert??? Then Marc has changed alot in 9 years. I attended his concert in Ozama Fort in SD in 1998, and it was rocking and high energy. Full, and most of the Dominicans were on their feet, dancing or singing along. The only time everyone sat down was when Olga Ta?on did her Milly-wannabe act.

You could be right, I guess I'm thinking of the only Marc Anthony fan that I know around here, My 50 something y/o aunt. hehe. You never know with Dominicans, they can take average everyday boring things and make them lively and interesting - like traffic for instance! But I imagine the aronja/anthony fans will be quite tame compared to the rowdy younger fans of Wisin y Yandel. They(aronja-anthony) probably be more like the fans that went to Ricky Martin - I'm kinda kicking myself for missing that one, not because I like him, but there was a stadium full of women - With my light skin and straight hair, I had a plan to say he was my cousin, haha. oh well.

And AZB, can you please stop? you're hurting my feelings, ok?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, it could be the change in his music. In 1998 he was at the top of his form, singing great salsa with a lot of heart and energy, only in Spanish. Frankly, I have not bought his English albums since the first one, which I only tried because of how much I loved "Todo a su tiempo" and "Contra la Corriente."

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Marc anthony is high energy salsa singer. I have his DVD,believe me, he drives his fans crazy. His latest singles are a bit more tame but that doesn't mean he will not play his older music.
The people who can afford to see wisin and yendal are also great fans of arjona and anthony. The majority of people are going to see marc anthony and arjona, the reggaeton artists are just a plus. The word around town is "concierto de Marc anthony y arjona", not a single mention of reggaeton artists.
AZB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
What I remember about the Fort Ozama concert is that Marc poured everything into every song, and by the time he left the stage, seemed to have nothing left to give. He had that audience's (primarily Dominican) full attention. Probably one of the best live salsa performances I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few.

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
Well, speaking as a "young person" (college age), I can assure you that Marc Anthony is not just for the old folks ;) I basically memorized his CD since it was played non-stop in el Centro de Estudiantes at PUCMM and everyone else seemed to love it. However, I guess I'm a bit of a chopa, since I do love Wisin y Yandel. Marc and W&Y would be a great concert for me, wish I could make it...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Marc anthony is famous among all age groups, even arjona has huge followers in santiago and capital and other town. The young girls love arjona music.
So when i heard pariguayo saying its for older crowd, I laughed. I knew he doesn't live here.
This concert is marc anthony and arjona. they are the main headliners, W&Y are only side kicks. majority of people are not going to see them only but almost all like them too. They will surely heat up the show but in the end, marc anthony and ricardo arjona will give everyone their money's worth.
AZB

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Ok, let me rephrase that. Mark Anthony and Ricardo Aronja reach a much older demographic than Wisin y Yandel. That does not mean that there are no younger fans (mainly women).

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
Glad to see we can all agree :)

Has anyone actually stated they're going to the concert? I would love to hear a review after the fact.