Hughsnet and other Satellite Internet providers

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I asked the tech once, would it not be in the interest of Claro to work on the lines and charge us more rather than do nothing and charge less. He had no answer to that...

That's like asking an ant if it would be better if they moved their hill to an area with fewer houses around so nobody puts pesticide on it..

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
That's like asking an ant if it would be better if they moved their hill to an area with fewer houses around so nobody puts pesticide on it..

Yes, I agree - that was more of making just small talk than a serious question :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Lots of threads from the past here in the forums; most are older.

Can I get some input from other folks who are using internet connections?

At the moment I have really crappy service from Claro (1-3) but supposedly Fiber Optic is on the Horizon.

I'm looking for is a reliable internet connection around 10 mbps until Claro finally comes through.

I don't need TV, movie packages or telephone.

Anyone care to comment?
How about getting a fast (non 3G) mega GB cell phone contract and use it as a tether?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I feel your pain.

Claro finally admitted they have problems in a section of cable coming in our direction that reduces the # of connections and often slows the bandwidth from 8mbs to 2mbs, so we don't have a stable connection.

Their solution? Change our contract from 8mbs to 2 mbs, and we will have a stable connection. Hilarious.

They keep promising "fiber is on its way" so they don't fix the bad stretch of cable, but the holdup is the mayor's office. We've heard two different stories:

1. The mayor is charging an exorbitant fee for the franchise, and Claro refuses to agree.
  2. The local cable outlet is playing shenanigans with the mayor to block Claro's fiber because Claro brings their streaming service with it, and the cable company does not want competition.
Soooo...we continue to complain when the bandwidth drops to unusable levels and force Claro to send out techs, etc., hoping they tire of constant complaints.

Dealing with such a simple innerweb issue is a "Life in the DR" episodes which is maddening.

Exactly what happened to me years ago now. I had 5 mbps for years from CLARO and then was getting around 2 mbps. I called them and they told me I was too far from the Central Station. Neither I nor the Central Station had moved since before the time that I had 5 mbps working with them. They did not seem to understand that the distance never changed yet the speed did and simply repeated I was too far from the central station to get 5 mbps. You can't fix stupid.

That is when I switched to a cable modem and more recently fiber from the cable company. It's not cheap, but it works.

I asked CLARO when they were going to put fiber in our area (it is available close to us) , which would be much faster and cheaper than the fiber from the cable TV company, and they said " We don't know".

That is what it is here.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They tell me the same. Sold me 10 mbps, now they want to drop it to 2 mbps.

I've been with Claro most of my adult life here, but I put a call in to Altice today. All I want is 5-10 Mbps down and I'll be a happy camper.

I contacted Altice on their website, and I'm still waiting for the call.... *sigh*

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
How about getting a fast (non 3G) mega GB cell phone contract and use it as a tether?

I get good speed from Claro on my Cel phone, but trying to do anything with it has not been productive. If only it was so simple.

On Claro's Website, it says Fiber Optic installations are in "Phase II" in my area. Hopefully..............

What is aggravating is there's a fiber Optic box on the post in front of my residence.

Feb 7, 2007
On Claro's Website, it says Fiber Optic installations are in "Phase II" in my area. Hopefully..............
What is aggravating is there's a fiber Optic box on the post in front of my residence.

So there IS fiber in your area.you just need to write done the terminal number and go to the office. They can find out the exact location for that terminal as it stands in their system, and then they can do an order for you using that address.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
So there IS fiber in your area.you just need to write done the terminal number and go to the office. They can find out the exact location for that terminal as it stands in their system, and then they can do an order for you using that address.

Way ahead of you. Been there, done that. All I get from them is "we'll let you know when it's available in your area"

Feb 7, 2007
Way ahead of you. Been there, done that. All I get from them is "we'll let you know when it's available in your area"

OK another approach... Do you know anyone living on the same street who has fiber ? E.g. within a 2 block radius? Get their phone number that's associated with fiber optic line and request a migration, using that as an address reference. I know it works because I have done it this way. Even if they are connected from another terminal, it does not matter, because 8 terminals are connected from the same port. And even other terminals besides the 8 would work as a rreference, as they are connected from same fiber optic OLT (though different ports, each port is 8 terminals, 64 clients).

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
OK another approach... Do you know anyone living on the same street who has fiber ? E.g. within a 2 block radius? Get their phone number that's associated with fiber optic line and request a migration, using that as an address reference. I know it works because I have done it this way. Even if they are connected from another terminal, it does not matter, because 8 terminals are connected from the same port. And even other terminals besides the 8 would work as a rreference, as they are connected from same fiber optic OLT (though different ports, each port is 8 terminals, 64 clients).

Nope. To be honest, I'm not sure anyone has fiber optic in San Cristobal yet. According to the Claro website they're working on it - but it hasn't changed in 8 months