I am looking for someone interested in DR history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Interesting images PICHARDO. Where are they from? Now I'm more interested in the history of the DR. Thanks! I saw one of them on a Dominican blog. The man with clenched fists and the marine.

These pics are from the 1965 civil war of the DR, one that was cut short by the US intervention...

Also some 3 pictures are from the 1916's intervention of the US armed forces in the DR.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
A short and simplified history. The Americans backed Trujillo until about the late 1950's. After her was implicated in a bombing attempt on the life of President Betancourt of Venezuela and with the disappearance (kidnapping) of writer, diplomat, professor Jesus de Galindez his luck started to run out.

In 1962 Juan Bosch had won the presidency in sweeping fashion. His administration was one of a progressive nature which some categorize as leftist. Not me. A coup removed Juan Bosch after only 7 months in power by conservative forces.

Fast forward to 1965 were a group of leaders headed by Colonel Francisco Caama?o tried to bring back President Juan Bosch. They were known as the Constitutionalist, as they believed and rightly so, that he was elected democratically.

What spoked :paranoid:the Americans into invading in 1965 had nothing to do with support for Trujillo, but had everything to do with what they perceived as leftist programs by President Bosch. Keep in mind that these events were taking place in the background of the triumphant march of Castro to Havana some years before. It was a time when anything that smelled leftist by Washington was considered Communist.

Hope this helps.....and I see we are way off topic.

The US never stopped supporting the Trujillo regimen in the DR, they just didn't offer support in public as it would have meant that they back it!

During the Trujillo Era, the Dominican armed forces enjoyed the latest in military equipment, as Trujillo wanted to be a force to be reckoned with in the Caribbean. The US administration aided Trujillo, with the assistance of the CIA to build a comparable, later even bigger, intelligence agency.

As Trujillo became more aware that intelligence offered the upper hand against enemies as well as friends, he made the agency a force to be unequaled in LA and comparable to that of the one it was cloned from.

The Galindez kidnapping and later assassination was carried out under the noses of the CIA. So were many other plots carried out in US soil, where the exile knew to keep a very low and silent profile against Trujillo or else...

Trujillo was the only full partner of the US in the Caribbean, with full abilities to carry out CIA joint plots for US operatives. A little known fact is that all intelligence gathered from LA by the CIA was headquartered in the DR at the time... The US embassy in Santo Domingo was used as a staging area for overseas operations on a monthly basis, all with Trujillo's extensive network worldwide.

Trujillo kept "open" spies as decoys to other countries, to have them drop their guard thinking that Dominican operatives were clumsy and wannabes. Big mistake on their parts...

The only thing that did Trujillo in was his over-confidence on his control of the Dominican fear towards his regime and person. His use of unguarded cars and unmarked vehicles in roads of the DR were the only chance that anybody got to see EL JEFE close enough to see...

The US had many operatives in the DR who as soon as they arrived in the DR, were under surveillance by the SIM and any contact with Dominicans explored to the last iota...

This was a man that believed so much on his power, that he ended believing people actually loved him... His undoing...

Any participation of the CIA is nothing more than myth and the still going protection of elements that aided to the hit on his life from being exposed to the general public.

For those of you who still don't get it, the Trujillista machinery "IS" still very much alive and active in the DR since 1961...

The national police was made for controlling and use to his regime against the people, not to serve the citizens as any police force is organized for...

The intelligence organs in all branches of the military were made to operate independently, keeping tabs and spying on each other; this way the regime had guaranteed that nobody could use his organs against him...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
PICHARDO: This guy is talking about the 1916 invasion....Wilson's attempt to "teach these people" ....

HB

May 5, 2007
Good X Files episode

The history behind that emotionally charged picture as witnessed by the photographer at the time is as follows:

An US soldier was rounding up civilians that were standing by the sidewalks as they watched the jeep convoy come to a halt, because Dominicans were using large debris to block the streets so they could have ample time to withdraw from the immediate area to avoid contact (engagement) with the US troops.

As the US soldier directed the bystander civilian to clear the street of debris, he refused and made it clear that "no foreigner would give order to him on his soil", the US soldier made the motion of using his rifle to hit him if he didn't comply as ordered, he clenched his fists and soon picked two stones from the gutter and warned the soldier that "should he charge him", he would hit him with them even if it meant that he got shot while at it...

The US soldier backed down after he saw the man's determination and instead cleared to road from debris himself...

Dominican constitucionalistas, often used those same tactics to buy time should a search patrol of US soldiers come close to their area of operations.
The US used to beef up patrols later with the addition of a tank, since patrols came under sniper fire with many casualties to follow.

Many US deaths were not reported, but the bodies were packed into body bags filled with ice and shipped to join casualties from Vietnam. As the US was under heavy pressure to pull out from Vietnam, another body count was the last thing it needs to report to the American people.

Most US newspapers and population was against the Dominican intervention at the time...

So the US Soldier let the entire "Command" presence they had established collapse due to one man with a rock in his hand? Could you provide a verifiable source for your info beside "My Grandfather was there?"

Lets see: The US Mortuary command was ordered to report deaths by bullets other than AK 47's?

Logistics Command "lost" the records of the flights from DR to Vietnam?

All orders were "expunged" and changed from showing a soldier going to the DR and listing Vietnam instead?

All letters from Soldiers/sailors home from DR were confiscated and disappeared?

Did the US use Black Helicopters or White planes to bring those iced bodies to Vietnam?

You tell a good story, a fiction writer would be a better position for you than factual reporting in this instance

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
So the US Soldier let the entire "Command" presence they had established collapse due to one man with a rock in his hand? Could you provide a verifiable source for your info beside "My Grandfather was there?"

Lets see: The US Mortuary command was ordered to report deaths by bullets other than AK 47's?

Logistics Command "lost" the records of the flights from DR to Vietnam?

All orders were "expunged" and changed from showing a soldier going to the DR and listing Vietnam instead?

All letters from Soldiers/sailors home from DR were confiscated and disappeared?

Did the US use Black Helicopters or White planes to bring those iced bodies to Vietnam?

You tell a good story, a fiction writer would be a better position for you than factual reporting in this instance

Just check your data on the actual casualty report of the forces in 1965 and compared to actual data of the Hospitals that were used as staging areas for the same troops in the DR...

The actual events were documented by several witnesses after the man was also grabbed and put under arrest by the secondary support force to the leading jeep on the convoy.

US soldiers were killed by bullets from different calibers in Vietnam, including the same caliber used by the Dominican troops that revolted and joined the constitucionalistas. The first US death was documented and photographed as it happened by reporters, which later after that incident were barred from riding with the US troops (the press was international).

The bodies where flown via helicopters from Las Calderas and San Isidro to awaiting ships off shore, there they linked with Vietnam's returning vessels that actually carried the bulk of deaths from the war there. Something that's done in many occasions with covert operations.

US soldiers didn't get mail in the DR until after the situation was totally under control (no fighting) as such any soldier that landed and got shot before that could as well be reported fallen in any part of the world for that matter...
Notice that the US used Army, Navy and Marines to land in the DR...

What you don't know about the things your USA did in the world without the regular citizen knowledge would fill many stadiums over and over again...

The US troops were hit hard by snipers when they arrived here in the DR, they had to resort to blast tank shells and bazookas to root the snipers out and stop more casualties. The guys doing the shooting where kin to the Navy Seals, very effective in guerrilla warfare and marksmanship was top in class...

You're the one who doesn't know much about that time and events, we do...

Some "reports" by your own military:

Company I, operating on the left flank, was not so fortunate. As it passed near the U.S. Embassy, newsmen and photographers who climbed aboard the vehicles wondered why the marines were being so cautious.19 The answer came minutes later as the company approached its objective, Point C at the intersection of Avenida Francis and Calle Leopoldo Navarro, about a block and one-half north of the Embassy. Small-arms fire suddenly erupted from housing near the old Santo Domingo airport and from buildings along Avenida San Martin n and Avenida Presidente R?os, the latter an approach to the company's ultimate objective, Point D. The company commander, restricted to the use of small arms, sent a request up the chain of command to Masteraon to use heavier caliber weapons to dislodge the snipers. While awaiting a response, the company commander proceeded to Point C, where he ordered his three platoons to silence the rebels through a series of squad- and fire-team rushes. The results were mixed, with the 1st and 3d Platoons taking casualties of one killed and eight wounded. That afternoon, the company received authorization to use 3.5-mm rockets to reduce the buildings housing the snipers. Although the rockets proved highly effective, a checkpoint established at Point D could not be held. In view of this, Colonel Daughtry ordered the company to consolidate its position at Point C.

Now, think for a minute how much do they really tell you always? Think how even deaths in Iraq are phased out in days and sometimes brain dead bodies are brought to the US to be labeled as post injury deaths...

Are you that naive???

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
BTW: I think that the intervention was a needed evil to still enjoy a democratic nation as we do today in the DR, thanks to all those US soldiers who gave their lives at the service of their country, no questions asked...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Had to add this part too! Sorry Hidalgo and Hillbilly!!!

From your military:

About the time Martin was meeting with Caamano on the cease-fire, the reconnaissance in force was getting under way as the marines and 82d sought to make contact near the ISZ (see map 7). Company I of the 3l6 BLT moved northeast without resistance from their position at Point C to the proposed linkup point on Avenida San Martin. At 1025, a reconnaissance platoon and the 1st Platoon, Company C, 1st Battalion, 508th Infantry, set out from the west bank of the Ozama along a route that would take it due west and then southeast to the rendezvous. Unlike the marines, the paratroopers ran into resistance at two points on their march and suffered their first fatality (another man would later die of his wounds).

Also landing at the airfield that morning was the lead element of the 15th Field Hospital, a unit the JCS had inserted into the airlift upon receiving Embassy reports of massive casualties in Santo Domingo. York and Palmer were furious. The 82d and the marines already had adequate medical support. From the perspective of the two generals, the purpose of the airlift, once the initial assault farces had landed, was to provide the ground commanders with what they needed, when they needed it. And what they needed Saturday were more combat troops. "A force commander committed to an objective area must be able to request units whose capabilities augment those which are already committed," Palmer later reported, "and he needs to know what sort of units are alerted or en route to join his force." (Palmer was operating under the dubious assumption that higher headquarters had some clue as to the alert or deployment status of the units in question.)34

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
PICHARDO, you're going to be deleted. First reason is you're still talking about the US. Second reason is, you're off topic. Third reason is, the boss told you to stay on topic and you did not.

So, you're gonna be deleted and most probably, you've just caused a good thread to be closed. Fourth reason is, people tell you this gently and you don't listen.

May 5, 2007
The War according to Garp, er Pichardo

The actual events were documented by several witnesses after the man was also grabbed and put under arrest by the secondary support force to the leading jeep on the convoy.

>>>Who were the witnesses, who interviewed them..How did you get this information?<<<<

US soldiers were killed by bullets from different calibers in Vietnam, including the same caliber used by the Dominican troops that revolted and joined the constitucionalistas.

>>>I assume you have googled and discovered what calibers were used by whom by this time? you will find you were incorrect as the VC used 160 grain vs. the smaller 120 gr SC C Round and 7mm <<<<

The first US death was documented and photographed as it happened by reporters, which later after that incident were barred from riding with the US troops (the press was international).

>>>So what of the other world press?<<<<

The bodies where flown via helicopters from Las Calderas and San Isidro to awaiting ships off shore, there they linked with Vietnam's returning vessels that actually carried the bulk of deaths from the war there. Something that's done in many occasions with covert operations.

>>>You were on one of those flights, correct?<<<<<

US soldiers didn't get mail in the DR until after the situation was totally under control (no fighting) as such any soldier that landed and got shot before that could as well be reported fallen in any part of the world for that matter...

>>>I guess all their original orders ha been confiscated, no copies etc<<<<

Notice that the US used Army, Navy and Marines to land in the DR...

>>And this means?<<<<<<

What you don't know about the things your USA did in the world without the regular citizen knowledge would fill many stadiums over and over again...

>>>No argument there, some day I will be as susceptible as you to anecdotal stories<<<<<

The US troops were hit hard by snipers when they arrived here in the DR, they had to resort to blast tank shells and bazookas to root the snipers out and stop more casualties.

>>>Very curious, the US Never landed ANY tanks in the DR, only tanks in the country were some old Swedish stuff the DR had at the training center at San Ysidro. I think the DR had some French AMX tanks as well<<<<<<

The guys doing the shooting where kin to the Navy Seals, very effective in guerrilla warfare and marksmanship was top in class...

>>NO idea what you mean, US landed no special forces and if you are trying to say the Rebels or Loyalist were SPECFOR qualified. well what can I expect<<<<<

You're the one who doesn't know much about that time and events, we do...

My Uncle served with 3 rd Battalion 6 MEU (Major), he is in his 70's but of full mind

Some "reports" by your own military:

Company I, operating on the left flank, was not so fortunate. As it passed near the U.S. Embassy, newsmen and photographers who climbed aboard the vehicles wondered why the marines were being so cautious.19 The answer came minutes later as the company approached its objective, Point C at the intersection of Avenida Francis and Calle Leopoldo Navarro, about a block and one-half north of the Embassy. Small-arms fire suddenly erupted from housing near the old Santo Domingo airport and from buildings along Avenida San Martin n and Avenida Presidente R?os, the latter an approach to the company's ultimate objective, Point D. The company commander, restricted to the use of small arms, sent a request up the chain of command to Masteraon to use heavier caliber weapons to dislodge the snipers. While awaiting a response, the company commander proceeded to Point C, where he ordered his three platoons to silence the rebels through a series of squad- and fire-team rushes. The results were mixed, with the 1st and 3d Platoons taking casualties of one killed and eight wounded. That afternoon, the company received authorization to use 3.5-mm rockets to reduce the buildings housing the snipers. Although the rockets proved highly effective, a checkpoint established at Point D could not be held. In view of this, Colonel Daughtry ordered the company to consolidate its position at Point C.

>>>And this came from what official document?<<<<<<

Now, think for a minute how much do they really tell you always? Think how even deaths in Iraq are phased out in days and sometimes brain dead bodies are brought to the US to be labeled as post injury deaths...

>>>You know this how?<<<<<<<

My information come directly from a son assigned to MADGIL nothing classified but superbly accurate

>>>>>>>>Please list some of your sources, they are usually about 75% inaccurate, but entertaining to say the least<<<<<<<<<

Are you that naive???

Am I that naive? Not so much as to believe anything coming from the world according to Garp, err Pichardo

No more from me, I anticipate a 2.3467 page reply about how you know everything from Micro Economics, to Jet fuel, to the kind of underwear pope Benedict wears

Your post are enjoyable, too bad I feel the need to independently verify almost everything do to your habit of trying to convince people your conclusions are fact

Keep it up though, good fiction!can be swayed and the path you take them on

May 5, 2007
I goofed

in my last post I stated that the US Never landed any tanks in thw DR, I stand corrected

While researching the Light Swedish Tank employed by DR Army I came across the note of the only "Tank on tank" encounter in the 1965 occupation when a DR Army Swedish L60 took on an American M 48 Patton and didn't do very well

The Marines also landed several M 50 "Ontos" which is not a tank but a gun platform

Just wanted to acknowledge my mistake before Pichardo notices it and has an orgasm posting 236 replies of how wrong I was an how awful the US Is.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Blew me right out of the water!!! You win!!!!! Pass Go and collect $200 from Bank...

Incidentally, our information is worth peanuts to you, but I assure you, it's the only one that matters on national history...

Maybe in the USA, history is taught from foreign books and news...???

My family also participated in the political/military and social life of the DR, I guess mine is of none issue on this matter as well...

I guess you needed an M1A1 Abrams to unload in the beaches of SD to be fit for a tank in 1965...

Back in 1965, bodies didn't get a ballistic report on the lead pulled from still breathing people... They just got worked on to save lives...

The only distinction that the Armed forces makes on caliber of weapons used to kill a soldier was small arms/large caliber and assortment of mortars, artillery, etc...

Since US soldiers didn't speak Dominican Spanish, they didn't have the benefit of documenting what was "talked" but what was the "action" taken...

Somehow you feel a Dominican is fit to hold knowledge on Bachata and being a chopo only... I can tell you have yet to meet an educated Dominican that would be willing to hold a meaningful conversation with you; given that you need to belittle when you can't debate anything that errs out of your POV or field of knowledge...

If you really want to hold a debate on your POV on any of the issues hereto posted, be my guest. If you can only muster uncalled names and undeserved dishing out on the other person's knowledge, then for all it's worth: Yes! Better not continue...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
PICHARDO, you're going to be deleted. First reason is you're still talking about the US. Second reason is, you're off topic. Third reason is, the boss told you to stay on topic and you did not.

So, you're gonna be deleted and most probably, you've just caused a good thread to be closed. Fourth reason is, people tell you this gently and you don't listen.

Delete it! As you see fit!

Status
Not open for further replies.