I bought my wife a Jeepeta.

C

Chip00

4) Not everyone likes dominican yorks. Only the poor dominicans do. The rest know better and try not to associate with them in any form.
Wag

FYI - there is a difference between a Dominican York as you call it and someone who left here to go to NY. To a Dominican a "Dominican York" is a Dominican raised in the US. A Dominican rasied here that goes to the US is not the same. Depending on their character they are held in high esteem or envied at the very least by most of the poorer Dominicans here.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If someone in my neighborhood bought his wife a new blinged-out mega SUV, no one would bat an eye. But if that same guy lived in the ghetto/barrio across town and bought the same wife the same SUV, folks would also assume he's loaded with dough, and act in a similar manner as the OP described.

I don't necessarily think it's a reflection of Dominicans or their character. It could/would happen in the US or other places, too.

I find it interesting that for some reason folks who move to the DR generally associate with a lower socio/economic/educational group of people there (and maybe any country) than they would where they came from. That is a point AZB makes often.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
OK lemme set some stuff straight,

First of all its not a new Jeepeta.

Second, I criticize this country and its society because its the only one I live in and I disapprove of a great many things here, JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE WHO LIVES HERE.

If I lived in a different country I would criticize that one instead so you Dominicans can just consider yourselves lucky you get to benefit from my great wisdom. (for now)

Luz, if you want you can send me some of your money and I'll "help out" with that.

Zeus and Hidalgo, I know you are both just disappointed because you were planning on asking me for loans. (I hear Luz is in a helpy mood, hint, hint)

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
FYI - there is a difference between a Dominican York as you call it and someone who left here to go to NY. To a Dominican a "Dominican York" is a Dominican raised in the US. A Dominican rasied here that goes to the US is not the same. Depending on their character they are held in high esteem or envied at the very least by most of the poorer Dominicans here.

Granted... That is a true statement in theory.

But the way I see it the "Dom york" is more of an attitude. The dominican that comes here from NY (raised or not there) and spends his cash in whiskey, speaks mostly english to impress, dresses like a reaggeton music video and hangs around in places like Ambis (now closed) and carwashes is referred as a Dominican York.

I now that not all dominicans that come from NY or anywhere in the US for that matter are "dom yorks". But if you see anyone acting like I mentioned before it will be referred as a Dom york by other dominicans.

Sep 19, 2005
I guess to be politically correct we have to sprinkle a bunch of sugar coated threads here and there to as not look so negative ALL the time...like

hey i woke up in Moca today and it was just sooo nice. sunshine and 80 degrees, slight wind blowing my hair....er ..her hair......a b e a u t i f u l ...l o v e l y s p l e n d i d day in paradise.......I heard the bird singing...I love the birds singing here.... I love the smell of platano cooking in the morning, and fresh cafe......

get the point

i think it is OK to talk about a SPECIFIC subject that drives or triggers a thought process that may be different or unique....a topic!!

bob

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Granted... That is a true statement in theory.

But the way I see it the "Dom york" is more of an attitude. The dominican that comes here from NY (raised or not there) and spends his cash in whiskey, speaks mostly english to impress, dresses like a reaggeton music video and hangs around in places like Ambis (now closed) and carwashes is referred as a Dominican York.

I now that not all dominicans that come from NY or anywhere in the US for that matter are "dom yorks". But if you see anyone acting like I mentioned before it will be referred as a Dom york by other dominicans.

Funny. I am the opposite of what you describe here and I'm considered a Dominican York. I dress in nice pressed jeans, polo tees and a nice pair of shoes. I guess it's because of the tattoos:paranoid:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I can understand where MrMike is coming from COMPLETELY. But I can also understand where Zeus is coming from. That's why I try to be as "politicaly correct" as possible. We tend to generalize and I believe this is why Zeus took offense. If MrMike would have used "SOME/MOST Dominicans" rather than "Dominicans" in his post perhaps Zeus wouldn't have felt offended. Just like any other Dominican person reading the message might have.
Well, I certainly felt offended, but since I myself am hardly politically correct I "let it go".

The interesting thing here is that to "let it go", we have to act in a selfish way, because the only way an offense can be ignored is if we tell ourselves "well, he is not talking about me per se... so...".

And if we choose to not act selfishly, then we will respond like Zeus did!

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't and either way these foreigners think we're the ones with the problems! :ermm:

BTW, Zeus I have to say this, a yipeta is not a "rougher ride". Have you ever been behind the wheel of a Lexus GX? It's like an airplane on land, nothing rough at all! Drive it once and you will be addicted to it and nothing more, incredible piece of engineering.

Ok, I'm done!
:cheeky:
-NALs

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I guess to be politically correct we have to sprinkle a bunch of sugar coated threads here and there
Screw being politically correct.
It's gotten out of hand in America.
Here, we don't have to be.
You can call a fatso, "gordo", or a dark guy, "prieto", and nobody bats an eye lash.
I'm not so bloody anxious to see us catch up with North America and all it's uptight ways.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm also offended...how dare he??? Well not that much really...but certainly this "being shallow" thing is everywhere including both The DR and The US. For instance in California (land of the shallow) many people who don't make that much live in really crappy apartments so they can drive a nice expensive car. It's all about maintaining appearances.

The differences are in terms of perception and expectations. So while a Dominican may be impressed with a new Jeep Grand Cherokee the American won't be because that's a very common car here, but the American will be impressed by a new Bentley...thus it's all the same.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm also offended...how dare he??? Well not that much really...but certainly this "being shallow" thing is everywhere including both The DR and The US. For instance in California (land of the shallow) many people who don't make that much live in really crappy apartments so they can drive a nice expensive car. It's all about maintaining appearances.

The differences are in terms of perception and expectations. So while a Dominican may be impressed with a new Jeep Grand Cherokee the American won't be because that's a very common car here, but the American will be impressed by a new Bentley...thus it's all the same.
Well, a better example would probably be all those Americans, Canadians, and Europeans who are indebt up their eyeballs (in the US every 6 of 10 Americans are indebt), take a completely unaffordable holiday to the DR, and then feel "grateful" that they are not as poor as many Dominicans!

I'm still having a hard time understading how having a negative net worth is not considered poor by many of these foreigners!

Then again, most Westerners live for appearances only, so maybe that has something to do with that mentality as well.

But, that's not what offends around here. It's the notion that every single Dominican is included in the generalizations and that offends those who don't fit such mold being generalized!

Any foreigner who feels offended by what I stated, welcome to the club of being thrown into the sancocho of generalizations!

-NALs

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Screw being politically correct.
It's gotten out of hand in America.
Here, we don't have to be.
You can call a fatso, "gordo", or a dark guy, "prieto", and nobody bats an eye lash.
I'm not so bloody anxious to see us catch up with North America and all it's uptight ways.
Word
Word
Word

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Ok, so now we have all the Dominicans living abroad who are mad at a non-dominican living in RD just because the guy spoke his mind honestly...

What can I tell you, yes, down here, most folks are just fascinated but anything shiny... They are impressed by appearance and oblivious by the essence... They'll dress to kill with boots, long pants and sometimes long sleeves in a 32?C. weather... The jeepeta sindrome is so caracteristical as an example, I think Mike has a very valid point with his OP...

-So what ? It's just a fact...

Ok, all over the world we can find materialistic human beings, but we are here... And there's clearly a difference (in general...) between a westerner and a dominican when it comes to that...

But, hey... No offence, I am sure Mike is still very happy down here... I know I am !

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
OK guys, thanks but seriously no need to keep defending me.

I have some choice thoughts for people that go around getting "offended" at things all the time and try to get everyone everywhere to conform to their ever-narrowing idea of what's acceptable and would like the whole world to censor themselves so that they don't ever have to grow up.

Obviously indulging your own sensitivity is a mistake because a more realistic solution is to get thicker skin. What's easier, to teach the whole world what you and whatever group you get offended for are really like or to just stop caring what people think?

hint: the world is full of slow learners

Being in this country is a business decision for me and I do not think it is "The best place in the whole world" in fact I am looking forward to making my money and retiring somewhere else. Some days ANYWHERE else would be fine.

But overall I am a happy person, not because of where I am but because of who I am.

And I repeat, I criticize the DR because I am here. When I was in the US I criticized that, and when I move on to the next place I will undoubtedly spot numerous areas that need improvement.

I am an equal-opportunity criticizer.

So there I said my stuff, now get over it.

And no, you still can't have a loan.

Sep 19, 2005
so mike....give us a hint ....there has to be other attributes to a recently VERY VERY happy wife????:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

ok never mind.....

lubricate that grill up.....( with my typing I could have messed up the word Grill...bad.. ha ha ha)

now when she drives down into a cibao pothole, she can still see the other cars around her...

bob

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"De Chancleta A Yepeta"!

A Dominican woman would sell her body for a "Yepeta'!:cheeky:

Draw your own conclution!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
And I repeat, I criticize the DR because I am here. When I was in the US I criticized that, and when I move on to the next place I will undoubtedly spot numerous areas that need improvement.

I am an equal-opportunity criticizer.
I've said this a number of times too - though maybe not as eloquently - but some posters still don't get it.

How do they know that when we're not on DR1.com we're not busy sounding off about all the things that p!ss us off about our own countries on UK1.com, US1.com or whatever?:cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ella gusta la gasolina

hey, mrmike, you cracked me up with your thread!
i told my friends in poland we have bought a jeepata few months ago (no, not a new one either) and they all went "OOOOO!" even thou this car is simply a must on a roads one has to drive here. only my dad said: "a mistubishi? cheapskates!" :cheeky:
some people are not easily impressed...;)
this trend of getting a loan to buy a big shiny car, i am sorry, but i do not follow. one takes hundreds of thousadnds pesos of a loan to buy something worth half of the ammount in just few years time?
does not appeal to me.
ps minovio told me those nice cars have a dominican name here that means more or less "panty peeler"....:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Sep 19, 2005
I still get cracked up over the term Jeepeta....instead of actually saying what kind of car it is..

I guess its the same as an SUV.

But here your seldom hear.."I bought my wife an SUV"...because people would stare at you with that blank expression...waiting for the rest of the story....and.....well....what was it?

hey when i buy my gf her new BMW X5...no body better call it a freeeeking jeepeta!!!

call it a BMW X5!!!!!!

since I brought up the X5....and since mr Mike is saying that it is a big thing to get a jeepeta in the DR......I think I see more X5s in santiago per day than I probably do in the CT town i work in...fairfield county no less...

the rift between the haves and the have nots in santiago is huge

bob