I guess it's progress....but

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Apart from the poster, it's more or less the same. This was the one mentioned earlier that was never finished because of some major structural defect. The authorities have not been willing or able to get the builder to demolish it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Apart from the poster, it's more or less the same. This was the one mentioned earlier that was never finished because of some major structural defect. The authorities have not been willing or able to get the builder to demolish it.
The owner has been trying to sell the unfinished project for years. I think the asking price is US$20 million or around there.

Currently its much cheaper to buy other properties along the Malec?n, even the lots with buildings that due to their small scale don't have the excessive added cost of having a monstrosity demolished for redevelopment.

Maybe the Veiramar towers builders will buy it once they are done filling the Malec?n with their minimalist towers. Until then, the blight might continue.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
that dinosaur shell on the malecon wouldn't be empty if it had to pay property tax, same goes for those other half empty torres. the founding fathers of the US didn't leave europe because they wanted freedom, they came because all the land in europe was already taken by familes that had owned it for centuries and it was not for sale, no inheritance tax. they made tons of money just leasing the land to peasants. the rich stayed rich. ex-president bush scared tons of old people by calling it the death tax. he purposely didn't mention that the first 10 million of an estate is exempt. he wanted to eliminate this tax, keepin the rich even richer. taxes force parts of an estate, and an estate might be 2 millions share of stock in coca cola or GE, to be sold off in order to pay taxes, thereby giving others a chance at ownership. i say tax these monsters instead of beach access fees, ITBUS, gas, beer etc. this will surely put the brakes on construction and force empty apts. to be rented at prices that reflect local income and derelict buildings be put to use. but, unfortuneatly, any extra money collected by government/polticians will be used to buy jeepetas.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
miami is the capital of latin america, it's where all and any rich latinos go to put their money in dollars, the banks are loaded. my dominican friends that have money take their families to go shopping in miami. miami airport cargo section is the busiest in the US. loads of latin music stars have homes in miami. miami would still be huge without the need for dope money.
i am pleased to see that randy from des moines at least had a really good time with his stolen money. go randy! that just goes to show that someone who had access to free money chose to spend it here in the DR. he could have gone anywhere in the world but chose to keep coming back here. way to go DR! who cares about the poor realtor that lost a deal? my heart goes out to poor yasmin, the girlfriend, and her family they lost the golden goose. i hate thieves of any kind and personally wouldn't take a stick of gum without asking, i just hate it when somebody steals a million bucks and they find him in a cheap hotel in pennsylvania.