I hate novelas!

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Still I wonder what makes it so easy to tell it's a novela when I'm zapping through the channels.
No matter what language it's in, just looking at it for one second is usually enough to tell it's a novela. But I don't know why.
Is it the picture resolution, or the light they use, that is different from movies or other TV series? No idea. Can anyone solve this mistery for me?

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Me too!! I hate them, but so many family members and friends back in DR LOVE them so much. I don't know why I have so much hate:confused:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I recommend them for people who want to practice or improve their Spanish. Listening skills and vocabulary top the list.
mk

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Without Novelas

You'd not have Noelia, Thalia, Paulina Rubio and hosts of other Latina Pop Stars. There seems to be a progression between being discovered and being a pop star.

Also vs. US soap operas the babe factor in novelas is about 1000% higher.

And just like soaps for non-English speakers learning English they have such simple plot lines and dialogue they are a good way to train the ear when learning Spanish.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Your all right. But what is it after all, that makes me recognize at once, that it's a novela. I'm not talking about the local novelas only....no matter where they're from, they look different somehow, but what is it?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Shakira

You can add Shakira to your list of latin pop stars with soap opera skeletons in their closets. She was a hot property on Colombian daytime television in her younger years.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
A few comments:

Which came first, the novela or the low life, mean spirited attitudes that they teach? Are Dominicanas better because of watching them?

Under the best of circumstances, it's debatable whether tv has enough entertainment (concerts, sporting events, whatever), documentaries, new clips, etc. to outweigh the negatives. In the DR, one has to wonder why have a tv at all.

In a hotel with a girl, especially, one should make sure that the room doesn't have a tv. You certainly don't want her to sit there watching tv all night, and getting into a vengeful mood as well. It's a nobrainer.

As far as the babe factor, why not turn off the sound and simply watch them? BTW, are any of those babes Dominicanas?

Last edited:

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Novelas are a real killer for your lovelife
Normally when my girlfriend is coming i try to sabotage the tv, else your whole evening/night is destroyed. For many dominican woman the novela is more important than .... (just fill in whatever you want)

AvK

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Right On!

From my experience my Dominicana watches the Mexican novels. When I come home the novela is more important.

Do not get a tv so that she can watch this crap.

"Its a hard life for stupid people."

Fred

Aug 14, 2003
novelas suck...

Novelas are great if you want to waste your time... really stupid... most latinas like them, don't know why...

Kisses..

DJ

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think they serve a purpose of entertainment. Like any other tv show. Some people read. Some people play sports. Telenovelas can be a great way to forget the day's troubles. I think Spanish telenovelas are great. They end.
mk

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
those noticeable differences

Hey Gerd,

I would have responded sooner, but the meaning of 'novela' here is unknown to me. For film/TV work, a novella (ie. dramatic work of fiction 30,000 words or less) is sometimes the original format from which a screenplay is written for high budget films.

I have done some film/TV work, and there are several elements making the difference, a couple of which are sensed by the viewer more than they are consciously perceived.

I think the biggest subconscious nuance is sound quality. If you listen carefully, you'll notice the 'hollow' sound of cheaper productions. Sound is one of the most expensive elements of high budget work, but its end effect is meant to be invisible, so it's not something we think about when watching a big screen release, or a better quality made-for-tv.

Other factors are camera movement and use of camera angles-- if you pay attention you'll find that in lower budget productions, particularly soap operas, the camera is pretty static, with the actors moving into place for the camera -- ie. coming and going from a static camera placed in a key position, rather than using multiple angles and takes that are later cut together to achieve the best effect. This saves a great deal of money and time, because every new angle requires a new setup for lighting, etc.

Of course, as others have said, video is used in low budget TV productions because it is much, much cheaper than film. It doesn't have the depth of field, so images are flatter and actually 'too sharp'. As well, lighting is not used for lovely dramatic effect--it takes longer to set up. Good lighting helps to produce the depth one sees in film.

I haven't been living and breathing film for a couple of years now, and am having trouble remembering the technical terms. Yikes. :)

D

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Thanks for this great explanation.
There really is some "sharpness" that is unreal, and the sound is different as well, you are right.
I can tell they are watching their novelas in the next room just by hearing the noise.
Makes me sick.
Thanks to the earthquake the TV dropped down and I will not hurry to have it repaired.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
THE MYSTERY HAS BEEN SOLVED!

gerd said:
...Is it the picture resolution, or the light they use, that is different from movies or other TV series? No idea. Can anyone solve this mistery for me?
It's the bad acting! And the fact that they're shot on video! And the stupid plots! And the bad writing! Need I go on?

I HATE HATE HATE NOVELAS! They do nothing but encourage and perpetuate the stupid, outdated, submissive 'damsel-in-distress', Cinderella-complex roles and mindsets that many Latinas find "normal' - - where they lose themselves in exchange for the true, complete and adoring love of the GAL?N. Gah.

-Indie

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
The thing that makes them immediately recognizable to me is the format. They all follow a simple story line fraught with anticlimax every 3-5 minutes. Can't help but see the simplistic acting out of the characters. A real good way to go to sleep, I've found.
As to a simple way to learn Spanish linguistic characteristics, I have to agree. The characters repeat themselves over and over in dialogue. Not word for word but emotion upon emotion.

Texas Bill