I havent been on this site in a while, but I moved here and now Im starting a business. I would like your opinions before I open up.

Jan 9, 2004
I did all my corporation / RNC number stuff over a year ago. I have had 2 different big Ice Cream distributors/companies try to buy my business already. I have been researching for over 2 years. A side hustle that has the potential to make $5000 a month. Not being funny but that a business in the DR. And being that the overhead is so low, its a very scaleable business in a short amount of time. 60 sales a day X 30 day = 1800 sales x average sale $2.5 =$4500. I would be returning my money in 90 days. Not to mention as soon as a bank sees that Im making real money from this they are going to throw money at me. 2 different banks already told me this. La Nacional and Banca Reserva. The machines are hooked up to wifi and have a control module similar to a car OBD2. It gives notification of warning signs when ever it senses its a problem at hand. I havent gotten the sanitary license yet because I was told that it would be easier to get it once its installed in a perminate location, couldnt get it for sitting in my home. I have some engeneers here that will do any needed servicing as well as a staff member that will go to the location daily to check the inventory.
If two big ice cream distributors want to buy your business......and you do not sell it....................you will need a strong well connected local partner..............or they will figuratively crush you like a bug........

And along that line of thought, you may want to franchise if possible. That would allow you to scale the business at a faster rate............because size matters when competing against the local competition you surely will have.

Again......good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Big

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Looks like a cool machine but I think 270 pesos is way too high for the average Dominican. Super Pola in Sosua had a small store selling soft ice cream like that for half that price.

Reactions: PCMike and Manuel01

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Nice!! I agree with playa. I would sell the business, especially if you can make some decent coin.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Nice!! I agree with playa. I would sell the business, especially if you can make some decent coin.
Depends. As I asked in my post, is the technology proprietary? If so, is there such a thing as a patent in D.R.? If not, what's to keep the big box stores from knocking it off for less money? If so, get one before you shop it around.
Bigger picture, if the tech is patentable, why not get one in Europe or the U.S. where the real money would be?
I'm not a big ice cream eater, but I love the machine and would definitely be a customer. I hope OP will keep us posted on his success.

Reactions: Manuel01

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I think if you can get in Caribe Tours and Metro bus stations would be great locations. They have electricity 24/7. security, cleaning, and a lot of people with kids sitting around waiting. The people would buy ice cream for their kids just to keep them quiet and sitting down.
Perhaps they'd be willing to negotiate a fair price to allow him to set up shop. Lots of politics, monopolies, bribes and under handed spiteful things (x10) when it comes to doing business down here... it's a package deal.

One thing is for sure, if the OP is able to carve out a niche and has moderate sucess there will be hundreds of these machines everywhere within the first 6 months imported by the Chinese.

Cool video.
I like the idea and I hope it works out for ya.
Good luck.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Looks like a cool machine but I think 270 pesos is way too high for the average Dominican. Super Pola in Sosua had a small store selling soft ice cream like that for half that price.
I believe he said the price was $2.50 which is about 140 pesos, according to my mathematics. I would round the price up to 150.

Jan 9, 2004
Perhaps they'd be willing to negotiate a fair price to allow him to set up shop. Lots of politics, monopolies, bribes and under handed spiteful things (x10) when it comes to doing business down here... it's a package deal.
And you had best be prepared to play hardball.....Dominican style.
One thing is for sure, if the OP is able to carve out a niche and has moderate sucess there will be hundreds of these machines everywhere within the first 6 months imported by the Chinese.

These machines are likely Made in China............lots of vending machine manufacturers there.

One of the first things taught at B school is barriers to entry. In this case, there are none for any competition that night wish to challenge. As they say, successful businesses tend to have a wide moat..........or high barriers to entry. There are none that I see here. The only advantage this business might have is if it can scale fast and get "first mover advantage."

Absent that, I think it is more of a hobby/side hustle than a potential burgeoning business............particularly in that Dominicans are not innovators.....but rather are excellent at copycat.
Cool video.
I like the idea and I hope it works out for ya.
Good luck.

I do too, but it will require much more work, connections, contracts than the OP has outlined above..............but it could provide a modest hobby/side hustle income.......

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: CristoRey and Big

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I'll try it if I see it around. Every time I want soft ice cream, the machine is usually broken. I think the power surges have something to do with it and the repair man being too slow to get to it.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I believe he said the price was $2.50 which is about 140 pesos, according to my mathematics. I would round the price up to 150.
At 00:37 in the video, with toppings the machine shows 270 pesos. I bought a plain cone at that store inside Super Pola(I think it's now closed) and paid less than 100(I'm thinking around 75).

All the supermarkets and even some farmacias have ice cream bars and sandwiches for anywhere from 50 pesos to 125 pesos.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In my career in business I have come across a good deal of people that had the next "big idea". Invariably, they all become so passionate about their idea or scheme that they are able to counter quickly ideas, suggestions and critical critique made by others. That's understandable. Look, it's your baby. You have nurtured this baby from day one. You have brought it to the public and think you have worked outALL the basic problems.

What can go wrong? Well, in the very short time this has been in a public forum, in the country you want to sell in . . . posters have written a dozen pitfalls. I have no problem believing each and everyone of the comments could be a deal buster unless you can, with 100% security, remove for the "negative list". I would say IMO unless that happens this would be a no go.

IMO, since you asked, the potential does not equate to the risks. Hate to say it but your asked. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU IN WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE TO DO.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I did all my corporation / RNC number stuff over a year ago. I have had 2 different big Ice Cream distributors/companies try to buy my business already. I have been researching for over 2 years. A side hustle that has the potential to make $5000 a month. Not being funny but that a business in the DR. And being that the overhead is so low, its a very scaleable business in a short amount of time. 60 sales a day X 30 day = 1800 sales x average sale $2.5 =$4500. I would be returning my money in 90 days. Not to mention as soon as a bank sees that Im making real money from this they are going to throw money at me. 2 different banks already told me this. La Nacional and Banca Reserva. The machines are hooked up to wifi and have a control module similar to a car OBD2. It gives notification of warning signs when ever it senses its a problem at hand. I havent gotten the sanitary license yet because I was told that it would be easier to get it once its installed in a perminate location, couldnt get it for sitting in my home. I have some engeneers here that will do any needed servicing as well as a staff member that will go to the location daily to check the inventory.

Your buisness is not selling ice cream, your buisness is securing locations for vending machines.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My only observation is that McDonalds and Burger King (among others) have soft serve ice cream, and Mc Donald's especially seems like their machine is always out of service.
IIRC, they have to be cleaned every shift as well.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
My only observation is that McDonalds and Burger King (among others) have soft serve ice cream, and Mc Donald's especially seems like their machine is always out of service.
IIRC, they have to be cleaned every shift as well.
Yes, there have been many complaints for a long time about their machines never working, apparently because they have to be cleaned every day:

Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
What can go wrong? Well, in the very short time this has been in a public forum, in the country you want to sell in . . . posters have written a dozen pitfalls. I have no problem believing each and everyone of the comments could be a deal buster unless you can, with 100% security, remove for the "negative list". I would say IMO unless that happens this would be a no go.
I think it's good he's asked for some feedback as this may help him be better prepared to deal with/ navigate thru the potential land mines going forward.

Reactions: drstock and johne

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
No not really. I have been coming to this country for the last 7 years and the power grids here have improved by leaps and bounds. Its no longer 2017/2018 when the power went out every day at like 11:15am. Things have gotten much better.
Depends where you live and set up shop ..power last yr was worst I’ve seen in longtime..