I just got RD$10000 edenorte bill...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I don't think they just didn't check the meter and now at once they did because than your bill should have been a lot higher while it would invoice you for (current meter number) - (the meter number on your forelast bill). If this was going for 6 months than your real monthly bill would have been about 3,000 pesos per month which seems very low for running an a/c for 12 hours a day.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
really? THe 6.6 (or thereabouts) is only for first 200 units and then I think 7.9pesos, I dont have the exact figures here but I do know that it is nigh on impossible to have a smaller leccy bill whilst using a/c

We pay RD$ 13.56 per kWh; doesn't matter if you use 1kWh or 250 kWh.
They went down a little bit; it used to be RD$ 14.09 per kWh.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Remember that once you exceed 700kw the rate they charge you for EVERY KW from 1kw to what-ever is at the highest rate.

There is no graduated scale once you exceed 700kw in a month.

The amount owed on 701 kw is enormous compared to if you only used 700 kw.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I beg to differ with your situation

my advice is STFU :)
ladronorte does not go on looking at your meter all the time. as it has been said they what they normally do is consider the average use and send the bill for that. periodically, however, they do check meters and send the next bill according to the factual usage.

That is not true where I live. There has been one time in recent history, we are talking 9 years, where Edenorte did not read my meter. For that month they came up with a very large bill which I disputed at PROTECOM and I won. Edenorte reads my meter every month and I check that their readings are accurate by noting periodically what is on my meter.

I suspect that Koreano's boosted bill was because Eenorte did not correctly read his meter where he lives and he got one whopping bill which adds up to more than he should have paid if he was billed correctly all along.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I would think it would have been much more than that if this was the case. Remember he has been running a/c for 15 days solid in total per each month, that is a huge usage by anyone's standards, so if they were claiming back payment it would probably be more like 20,000 not 10,000. Can someone not work that out, or have they all ready and I missed it?
Im crap at this kind of thing but it sounds like it should be ridiculously high.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would think it would have been much more than that if this was the case. Remember he has been running a/c for 15 days solid in total per each month, that is a huge usage by anyone's standards, so if they were claiming back payment it would probably be more like 20,000 not 10,000. Can someone not work that out, or have they all ready and I missed it?
Im crap at this kind of thing but it sounds like it should be ridiculously high.

What I think some people are missing is that the meter continuously reads the power consumption. The meter does not forget to increment as power is used. However, If Edenorte fails to read the meter for several months and finally does read it, then everything over 700 KWH will be charged at the highest rate. If they read the meter every month, then the first 200 KWH of each month are charged at lower rates unless you happen to exceed 700 KWH in a given month and only then does each KWH get charged at the highest rate. That is why I suggested the large bill Koreano received was considerably higher than it should be in total for the months in question compared to what the total bills would have been if Edenorte read his meter at the correct time each month.

In other words, the same amount of total power was used over those months, but the amount charged would be much higher if it was all, or almost all, billed in one month.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
while it is true than in some areas ladronorte shows up every month to read how much they can steal this given month they do neglect other areas. i almost never see them where we live...
my feeling is that koreano will now keep on receiving new larger bill every month. and 10k pesos seems reasonable for all the A/C used. my in laws pay 16-20k pesos a month. A/C runs in both occupied bedrooms all night every night.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
while it is true than in some areas ladronorte shows up every month to read how much they can steal this given month they do neglect other areas. i almost never see them where we live...
my feeling is that koreano will now keep on receiving new larger bill every month. and 10k pesos seems reasonable for all the A/C used. my in laws pay 16-20k pesos a month. A/C runs in both occupied bedrooms all night every night.

If they do not show up where you live every month, then you as well are almost certainly being ripped off even if they just use their best guess average power consumption. If they installed "smart meters" in your area, they don't have to show up since they are read remotely, but I doubt you have one yet.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you use A/C for 12 hours a day then I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is your bill. Going off other hard users of electricity and their bills ( I believe CC used enough power to light a small village also) it isn't a surprising number.
I use a 7000btu a/c 8 hours a day, and my bill averages just shy of 700kwh, below RD$5000.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
If they do not show up where you live every month, then you as well are almost certainly being ripped off even if they just use their best guess average power consumption. If they installed "smart meters" in your area, they don't have to show up since they are read remotely, but I doubt you have one yet.

this is why i call them ladronorte :)
there is no rhyme or reason to our bill. every month it arrives at more or less the same amount. but some winter months i know we must be using more power: every washing is dried in a dryer. granted, it works with gas but uses some power too. does not seem to affect the bill.
on the other hand for the month we were away and we had a friend come in every day to spend the night the bill was a higher than average. i can't believe one person staying in for a couple of hours a day could hike up the bill over two people using power all the time... :( and we have no A/C he could play with.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Quick question, when you moved in was the meter already installed or have they installed a new one since youve been living there? If that meter was there since before you moved in, make it "dissappear" before Edes switches it out and realize its not on the up and up. If you use A/C for more than a few hours a day and your bill is that low then your meter has been tampered with. They like to give multas for that B.S...

About 5 yrs ago I moved into a house, already had a meter and with around 12 hrs a day of A/C usage (2 A\Cs mind you) my bill would would max out at around 3500RD. This went on for a few years until Edes decided to switch the meter and found that the meter had been rigged to read slow. Hit me with a 36000 "multa"and although I never touched the meter, had to pay every cent of the multa (even after going to Protecom ie..waste of time). Not a problem since im sure I consumed much more than that in the few years the meter and I were together.

New meter with half the A/C usage as before has always been around 10000RD... this past couple months the bills have come in a little more cause of the damn summer heat.

In my honest opinion disputing something with the Edes is a huge waste of time and money. In the end, you will pay or get cut off....

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
A friend of mine who lives over in SD Este just told me the story of how she and her mom had been contesting their high electric bill for four months. Finally got the company to come to the house.. and they arrived WITH the police! The electric guys went up to the roof and came down and said..

Dona, the entire neighborhood behind you is hooked into your electricity!

they cut all the extra lines, and arrested three of the perps in their homes.

Ah, well, it was only two women who could not climb to the roof.. and the daughter is a gringa..

yeah... a gringa who gradutated from nYU

but you should check those lines.

I had these wierd lines, like telephone lines, running through my two bedrooms and just cut them one day with rubber handled clippers.. Explosion! turned out that the owner of MY apartment had been stealing electricity from my upstairs neighbors through this one little wire. None of the sockets on the floor .. including one of the ac units.. had EVER been hooked up to MY meter. So I am paying more now. But feeling better about it

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hello everyone. I just got a bill asking me to pay $10000 Pasos. If you have read my previously post, I only paid like 1600-1700 paso for about six months. I had been preparing extra funds because friend here(thanks chip) had been warning me about lack charges on my electricity bills. The thing is I was expecting to pay previously owed amounted calculated amount of least twice or four times since we used A/C about 12 hours a day and have used a lot of electricity stuff in house since we moved here.

Now that I got this bill... Do I put a dispute and go through agony of going to edenorte multiple times and have them come and calculate things again or just forget it and pay it off.

I think you should complain! My aunt and other people I know have had their bill cut in half after complaining. They paid their bills in question so they didn't get anything back from that, but it's the upcoming bills they've seen down.

One thing is, the first complaint you make, you'll get the guys that will come to your house to do a check up but they'll usually say that everything's fine and that the high bill is right.

So you usually have to come back and talk to the person in charge. Some people go to Proconsumidor too but even if you have to go a couple of times, I think it's worth it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In my honest opinion disputing something with the Edes is a huge waste of time and money. In the end, you will pay or get cut off....

I disagree if you take the correct approach and protest through the proper channels. Annoying and frustrating as it may be, I will do it every time I see incorrect charges.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I guess my "overcharges" have just been me freaking out over the actual amount they are charging and not actual overcharges. Or I just dont have enough patience to see the whole thing through. My KWh consumed on facturas has always matched up with the meter readings but I just cant believe those readings are accurate. Edes have never figured out anything for me but everyones problems are different.