I narrowed down my search to buy to three areas.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Now, now. Pappy is in the house...not to play rough...

I do not and did not take offense at his comments. They were probably right...However, I don't think I was referring to him, the OP, but rather more of a general observation...yeah, so maybe he wants to get a lot of info over the internet...

Probably what drove me to make that comment in the first place was that this is such a surreal place that a lot of the stuff we "know" about, is just so unreal to those that have not lived here for a while...and we are really at a loss on how to transmit our perceived reality to people that have been here for a short time or on vacations...and then want to commit to a life here. Does that make sense???

Blessings...(and its 48 and counting fyi)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
WOW

guess we had better start calling you Don Hillbilly,ok?

I understand what you are saying.

Despite all my what may be percieved as cautious advice, I relocated here without ever having ONCE visited the place.. which is certainly against any sage advice.

But it was the last place on my list. And it had been a long list.

And I knew that I was destined for expatriatism and had been searching a long time.

I came here, to DR1.com. for a year and scoured and inhaled. Then gracias a Dios, someone here hooked me up with an American living in LT and we corresponded for 6 months and became friends so I had an easy sort of entry because of this board.

Not that is has been easy. Far from it.

But it was the best move of my life.

I guess I more cautious about people's money.. that this can be risky place to invest and it may not be for everyone.

I have had lots of ex pats that I thought would be life friends .. leave..

now I joke that I will not make friends with anyone who has a visa.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
OK, now that the love fest is over it still is not a good idea to entertain the notion of buying a land deal if you cannot understand the premise of the presentation.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I knew this thread could turn into something nice. Think about it, I just did, there is no other Website like this regarding the DR, where else can you can pick up so much 'free advice' and 'knowledge' and 'feedback' from those that 'went before me'...
I found my DR Lawyer from DR1, I found my DR Vacation from DR1, and I found myself when I finally decided to move and rent...

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
MountainAnnie, you wrote "I came to the DR and scoured and inhaled".

Hopefully you dont have 'deviated septum' from all that partying.. ;-0