I Need Some Good Ice Cream Recipes

May 29, 2006
It can get complicated with the chemistry. I read a recipe a while back on making invert sugar, but haven't had the chance to try it yet. It's used in ice cream sometimes.

Invert sugar recipe | By Pastry Chef – Author Eddy Van Damme

What's happening is you're breaking the Glucose/fructose bonds which makes more smaller sugar molecules for the water to interact with and block larger crystals from forming. It will also make the same weight of sugar taste sweeter.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I've put regular sugar through a coffee grinder when I didn't have any fruit powdered sugar, but that was when mixing cocktails. I thought the powdered sugar was needed because it dissolved faster so figured the coffee grinder would help.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I just finished putting together a test solution, and it's in the fridge cooling down:

• 1l whipping /heavy cream (1 box)
  • 400cc non-sweetened condensed milk (1 lg. can)
  • 200cc sweetened condensed milk (1 sm. can)
  • 1.5 tbs vanilla extract
  • 1 vanilla bean innards, split open & scraped

The solution is spoon mixed, making sure the vanilla bean globs are dispersed until little brown flecks are all over.

This evening, I'll whip the mixture with a hand mixer until it has a thicker, aerated texture closer to whipped cream but not quite, then I'll put into the ice cream maker.

Fingers crossed.

Will report back.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
CB, what is non-sweetened condensed milk? I've never heard if it. Do you mean evaporated milk?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB, what is non-sweetened condensed milk? I've never heard if it. Do you mean evaporated milk?
Yes. Sorry.

BTW, the texture is MUCH creamier & thicker than I've made before, and the fat is not separating. I have great expectations.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
We used to do this camping - my mom was a girl scout leader so she always knows lots of fun kid friendly activities.

Ingredients:
•1 1-pound coffee can with lid
•1 3-pound coffee can with lid
•1 pint of half and half (milk can be used instead)
•1 egg, beaten (optional)
•1/2 cup sugar
•1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup, or 1/4 cup of strawberries

Preparation:

Add all of the above ingredients to the 1 pound coffee can; mix well. Put the lid on the coffee can and secure with duct tape. Place the 1 pound coffee can into the 3 pound coffee can. Surround with crushed ice and rock salt and place the lid onto the 3 pound coffee can.
Have your kids sit on the ground and roll back and forth 3 to 4 feet apart. Roll for 8 to 10 minutes. (The kids can kick the can back and forth as well.)

Check to see if the ice cream is hard; if it isn't, replace the lid, add more ice and rock salt. Roll for another 8 mins.

Remove the lid to the 1 pound can and serve in bowls.
Serves 4-6 people.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Ice cream is nothing more then frozen custard, when I made ice cream I brought the custsrd almost to a boil and then let it cool before putting it in the churner , never had a problem .

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am very pleased to report the ice cream we made last night far exceeded my expectations.

It was like eating Edy's French Vanilla from the states, almost with a gelato-like consistency. Thick, smooth and creamy, just like you'd expect high-end ice cream to be.

It was even better becoming fully frozen overnight.

I have officially found my go-to recipe. And without the vanilla beans and half the vanilla extract could easily be a base for any kind of ice cream one would want.

I do think the beating with a mixer until aerated is key: makes the frozen mixture less dense and better consistency. Next time I will cool the freezer drum maybe 5 degrees cooler, to 0?F. It was at 5?F this time. Makes around 1.5qts.

It's just awesome! :happy-happy-joy-joy-dance:

The pictures do not do it justice.

In the tub after an hour in the freezer post ice cream maker. Disclaimer: I had about half a cup of liquid left over that didn't make it into the freezer, so I just poured it on top of the fluffy mixture in the tub before the tub went back in the freezer. The actual frozen mixture from the maker was very fluffy, not semi-flat like here. In the future I'll just freeze the excess in it's own container:
IC1_zpsd000423c.jpg

Alida taking the first scoop:
IC2_zpsb6af6881.jpg

Ready to eat, mmmm mmmm mmm:
IC3_zps54ed329a.jpg

EXCELLENT & easy recipe, far above and beyond beyond any ice cream I've had here, even Bon & Splash (haven't tried the expensive stuff, Haagen Das, etc...but this is a fraction of the cost...)

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I had about half a cup of liquid left over that didn't make it into the freezer,

Throw it in a blender, add some fruit, a splash of rum and a bit of lime juice and you have a daiquiri to celebrate your success.

:classic:

May 29, 2006
We used to do this camping - my mom was a girl scout leader so she always knows lots of fun kid friendly activities.

Ingredients:
?1 1-pound coffee can with lid
?1 3-pound coffee can with lid
?1 pint of half and half (milk can be used instead)
?1 egg, beaten (optional)
?1/2 cup sugar
?1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup, or 1/4 cup of strawberries

Preparation:

Add all of the above ingredients to the 1 pound coffee can; mix well. Put the lid on the coffee can and secure with duct tape. Place the 1 pound coffee can into the 3 pound coffee can. Surround with crushed ice and rock salt and place the lid onto the 3 pound coffee can.
Have your kids sit on the ground and roll back and forth 3 to 4 feet apart. Roll for 8 to 10 minutes. (The kids can kick the can back and forth as well.)

Check to see if the ice cream is hard; if it isn't, replace the lid, add more ice and rock salt. Roll for another 8 mins.

Remove the lid to the 1 pound can and serve in bowls.
Serves 4-6 people.

I think that would also work using a portable drill and a (new)paint mixer attachment.. Hmm...

0000000014553.jpg

At one place I worked, we used a paint mixer and a drill motor for making salad dressing 5 gallons at a time. Before that, we used a whisk~ ugh.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
CB, like you said that's a good base for other flavors! Try adding fresh diced tropical fruits; mango, papaya, guava. or pureed.

By the way, the ice cream looks smooth and creamy.:) You did a good job.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB, like you said that's a good base for other flavors! Try adding fresh diced tropical fruits; mango, papaya, guava. or pureed.

By the way, the ice cream looks smooth and creamy.:) You did a good job.
Next batch: fresa with chocolate chips...:D

May 29, 2006
I might just make some up myself. I'm thinking frozen Blueberry/Raspberry with some cream cheese added in for tartness. Kind of like a cheesecake.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Here's one that I was gonna try ... but I haven't made it yet. (Not sure how it would be made in the machine though, since I don't have one.)

[video=youtube;AMMECm7Huhk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMMECm7Huhk[/video]
Once again, I want to thank Major448 for posting this...

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Thanks for doing the home work it looks fantastic and a staple resapy for all home sick on a budgit gringos.
Good job .

May 29, 2006
OK, I dug out the ice cream maker and I've got this in the freezer churning:

Blackberry Cheesecake Ice Cream:

1 can Condensed milk
8oz Cream Cheese
1 can sweetened Condensed Milk
1 bag Frozen Blackberries(16oz)

Heat Condensed Milk for 90 secs in microwave. Put into blender and buzz with the Cream Cheese.
Add in Sweetened Condensed Milk and Blackberries~ 48oz mix.

I think it may be too sweet but we'll see. Thought about leaving the blackberries whole or some of them but they are just too chunky.

My ice cream maker works right in the freezer with a long extension cord.