I switched to an apple/Mac computer and could use some 1 on 1 help around POP

Mark Lloyd

Sep 3, 2010
JD, just replied re Thursday. As to above, quicker to show you than explain, as to removing applications, highlight and move to trash or better still have a program like clean my mac running and it will intercept application deletion and ensure all the little bits are removed as well as the main app. as to apps appearing in your application pane I assume you told your mac where to put them in the first place as not all application dmgs will automatically file in the application folder. Firefox, not a great fan love safari, but we can discuss on Thursday, time machine is a back up system that apple uses to backup your mac and allows you to restore to a previous time / date, this is not like the disaster or a restore offered by windows, but is a genuinely good backup method, allowing you to restore individual files etc. You need a blank USB portable storage device to back up to if your MacBook Air is the 128gb solid state drive then a drive of say 150gb or more would be ok, if your solid state drive is higher than 128 then a portable drive appropriate to size.

All wil become much clearer on Thursday as far easier to show than tell! See you then.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Time Machine is by far the best back up system I have ever used, it has saved me many times.
Actually, we have never lost a file at DR1 for over 3 years whilst using Time Machine.

In creates rapid incremental backups every few mins that will back up everything for months if you have enough external harddisk space. Restoring the files is stupid simple and actually fun to do.

Good video showing how it works.

YouTube - ‪Time Machine - Mac OS X Leopard‬‏

In the new upcoming of version of OSX (Lion), Apple have removed the "Save" function completely for many applications.
Everything you do is automatically saved and you have access to multiple versions, it's very cool!!

Apple - Auto Save and Versions - Every edit, every rewrite. Saved.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Mac Meetup in Cabarete soon! :) I have a Mac since last year, and I, too, will never go back! Enjoy it...and maybe we'll all meet up in Cabarete one day soon, Macbooks in hand :)

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
if only i had bought mac stock when it was $15-16 a share in the 90's - I've been using a mac since the mid 80's and have never regretted. Occasionally i'll run into a situation where a program I need only operates on windows, but solved that problem by installing Parallels desktop and windows XP. Runs just fine and didn't have to start fresh like bootcamp program requires.
Luv my macbook pro

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Mac Meetup in Cabarete soon! :) I have a Mac since last year, and I, too, will never go back! Enjoy it...and maybe we'll all meet up in Cabarete one day soon, Macbooks in hand :)

I would certainly join... IF it happens!

if only i had bought mac stock when it was $15-16 a share in the 90's - I've been using a mac since the mid 80's and have never regretted. Occasionally i'll run into a situation where a program I need only operates on windows, but solved that problem by installing Parallels desktop and windows XP. Runs just fine and didn't have to start fresh like bootcamp program requires.
Luv my macbook pro

It's been several months now with my MacBookAir. I've had some initial help from a fellow Forumite at the beginning who also supplied me with some programs I really needed.
I think, I handle it pretty well by now. I have scrapped ALL my MSFT (Windows) stuff. Even got an iPad now. I could not go back. I DO miss some programs I had on windows but I still resist the idea of adding a Windows OS to my computer.
My MacBook has a 254Gb Solid State H"D". It's blazing fast but I hope they will soon come out with a 512Gb version on the MB AIR...
One of the coolest thing is, that as promised, the computer does not "age". It runs exactly as it did the first day. It's stable and as fast as the first day. No slowing down, no pop ups with stupid failure messages you additionally have to click "OK" on (like it was so "OK" to fail... it's an insult!).
It's probably a little simplified, but not stripped of anything essential.
Some things are just "different" and not always necessarily better because of that, but in general, it's a winning deal and I am sold on it.

Next machine is an iMac... the large one but only with SSHD's, THAT's another thing I refuse to go back to... them dreaded HD's... spindles in a computer! How 1900's'ish! :X

Thanks to the input, help and heads up!

... J-D.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
the only problem with those new solid state drives is they tend to fail quite a bit more frequently than regular HDs (at least for now), so make sure to back up your important stuff. I lost 2 SSDs in the last year alone.