I want to bring in 2 Tvs less than $200

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the box can be 62 inch in total = Height + width + length = 62 inches total.
I have already seen that a 40 inch tv Box would be slightly bigger than that when you add up all the 3 dimensions. you may get away with it or you may get one strict employee who will take out the measuring tape. delta is known to become strict on occasions. once a fight broke out between employees when a delta employee was standing at the boarding door of the plane and started to weigh the carry on bags. if more than 45 lbs he was making them pay. soon flight attendant realized this was causing a jam and asked the employee to stop and go away. there was a verbal dispute between the 2 employees but thanks god the employee #1 backed off and left the jetway.
AZB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
but my thread was not about sneaking in a TV in a suitcase. I was referring to bringing in a TV legally with a receipt............
AZB

Oh AZB, i posted i have brought in TVs in original shipping carton, I mentioned the numerous times i have seen TVs arrive at SDQ in the original carton. Every TV in original carton arriving at SDQ just breezed right on by customs. Sure i didn't stand there and watch every single person to see if they produced a receipt but the ones I did see sure didn't.

You won't be breaking no new ground bringing in a TV in the original shipping carton. I think it was four years ago when i did mine and i certainly wasn't the first.

You are just complicating a simple procedure.

Jan 9, 2004
AZB:

From Aduana yesterday;

With the current collapse of TV prices and some 32" TV's now selling for under $200.00 and the government still allowing a $200 exemption with proper documentation, they will be allowed in duty/tax free.

However, they are again looking to close the $200 loophole presently in force and are considering (again) to drop it completely or lower it to $100. The IMF has already told the government they need to raise taxes in order to cover current economic spending.

Further, that current $200 exemption is CIF.....meaning that the total price including any sales taxes must be under $200.

Finally, when asked about a 40" TV he indicated they have no documentation to support that one can actually be purchased new for under $200 CIF and any attempt to bring it in would be met with scrutiny as well as the "book" they currently use to assess value and duty/tax.

So it appears you are safe for now on the 32"....take advantage of that opportunity before they close the window.

Those of us who wanted and have shipped larger TV's have paid their taxes.....but there is a work around that requires a little planning.....but bringing in a TV greater than 40" legally without duty is possible....as relayed to me by my contact in Aduana.....it just requires more time and energy.

I still think you are better off bringing it in your suitcase on one of your monthly trips....but know that, for now, your 32" should enter duty free with just the cost of the per pound shipping.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB:

From Aduana yesterday;

With the current collapse of TV prices and some 32" TV's now selling for under $200.00 and the government still allowing a $200 exemption with proper documentation, they will be allowed in duty/tax free.

However, they are again looking to close the $200 loophole presently in force and are considering (again) to drop it completely or lower it to $100. The IMF has already told the government they need to raise taxes in order to cover current economic spending.

Further, that current $200 exemption is CIF.....meaning that the total price including any sales taxes must be under $200.

Finally, when asked about a 40" TV he indicated they have no documentation to support that one can actually be purchased new for under $200 CIF and any attempt to bring it in would be met with scrutiny as well as the "book" they currently use to assess value and duty/tax.

So it appears you are safe for now on the 32"....take advantage of that opportunity before they close the window.

Those of us who wanted and have shipped larger TV's have paid their taxes.....but there is a work around that requires a little planning.....but bringing in a TV greater than 40" legally without duty is possible....as relayed to me by my contact in Aduana.....it just requires more time and energy.

I still think you are better off bringing it in your suitcase on one of your monthly trips....but know that, for now, your 32" should enter duty free with just the cost of the per pound shipping.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

thanks, very good info. I think I will order my other Tv now before it's too late.
I am still confused as to why a 40 inch Tv would be considered more expensive when in reality it's being advertised all over walmart website for less than 200 dollars (including tax)? what if I prove to them the TV is refurbished?
In any case, your info is gold. thanks again.
AZB