I want to work there for 6 months!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Well there you go then... it sounds like you are willing to take your time and learn all you need to know before venturing into this move. Good for you.

It sounds like you have a little life experience behind you - very impressive at the age of 22!

Two concerns - why would you try to get a job in a resort instead of in your field, or is it just because you plan only on being in the DR for 6 months. To me, this sounds like more of a extended working vacation than a long-term goal, right? Lambada posted a link for a very good position, in your field. Is it because it is in Santo Domingo and not the north coast, where your friend is. This leads me to the second concern:

And in answer to your question yes I did meet a Dominican guy who is very nice but I would NEVER move to a country for a man.

Just to be cautious, please do go to the Men are from Mars... and Sankie forum. Read through the threads there, just so you can familiarize yourself on how some of these guys work. I am not saying this is your case, but sometimes the idea of having someone there makes the decision a little easier, and sometimes this is not a good thing.

Good luck to you, and happy reading!

Marlie

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
......... to admit defeat and go home to my parents or to make the most of what i have and go without the things i was used to so that i could do so.

Keep that feisty, independent, self sufficient streak. It will stand you in very good stead as an expat. It might play havoc with your love life also :cheeky: but you've plenty of time for finding an adult man who can cope with an independent woman.

I will probaly have enough money to live for 6 months in fairly good accomodation and enough for other stuff but I would need to find some kind of job, there is no way I could not work for 6 months. i get fed up not working for a week.

As you'll have enough money to live from AND Spanish (how refreshing) why not think about voluntary work? If you're going to be in Puerto Plata Integracion Juvenil are always on the look out for teachers who can offer several months committment (working with children who have been abused/neglected &/or in the half-way home they're setting up for offenders).
Integraci?n Juvenil
If you're in Sosua/Cabarete contact Dr. Bob of Crossroads Project
About Us
If in Cabarete, the Dream Project - lots of references on this board.

Working with any of these will certainly broaden your horizons, help you meet yet more people and who knows a paid job might result through one of the contacts.

The only other advice I can offer is to double check everything you are told out here, by foreigners & Dominicans alike. You can start by checking out what I'm telling you :) . On a message board it's relatively easy - if someone posts BS someone else will come on & challenge it. But in real life in the laid back DR you can meet the most plausible folks (the Brits. on the north coast included) & until you've sussed what the agenda is, be charmingly cautious. Plausibility goes with tourist towns - once you're in the campo it is far less of a problem.

Wish you well, Kirsty. It'll probably be the sort of experience you'll never regret, maybe even life-altering.

J

John Evans

can anyone tell me ? everyone says you need to come here for six months before you decide to move ......but... all these people came on a whim and stayed where is the logic

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
pretty simple, JE. it's called experience.

they came on a whim, stayed, and thrived while overcoming a lot of hurdles. not everyone can do that.

but they've witnessed over the years many who came on a whim, and left disenchanted. they've seen people give up successful careers at home, buy into a bad business idea here, and go broke quickly. they've seen people buy overpriced or untitled property. they've seen people get involved with the wrong crowd and end up in jail. they've seen people who think they're on a 365 day a year drunk happy-fest and lose limbs or lives in accidents. they've seen the false romances and hopes. the list goes on....

they're doing their best, at no cost, to try to guide people.
and, with time, you can begin to predict the future based on people's attitudes and comments.

try the search function. maybe you can find the logic for yourself... or not.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
can anyone tell me ? everyone says you need to come here for six months before you decide to move ......but... all these people came on a whim and stayed where is the logic

How is that relevant to a young woman who has already stated she wants to come here for 6 months?

There are some people who can go anywhere 'on a whim' and survive. It takes a certain personality type - those idiosyncratic souls who moved here 30 or 40 years ago before the DR was on the map tended to have it (either that or they were crims on the run :ermm:). The 'paddle their own canoe' types. But that doesn't apply to the bulk of what we've seen come in here over the last 5/6 years - by & large those that did good prep. stayed those that didn't left. If you've only been here a year John Evans you have probably not come across the many who left, some for non-foreseeable events but many because they had an unrealistic image of the DR to start with.

J

John Evans

they all seem to have a superior attitude but say you must be humble ..i dont understand that

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Bingo CFA123. Not only do you have the same thoughts as BushBaby but now Lambada as well..............be extremely afraid...........:laugh:

You can debate with JE if you're of a mind to; I'm somewhat busy right now. :)

J

John Evans

its relevant ...that you did it ...so why put people off trying it

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Your post is sage advice Marlie. Maybe what the grain of salt post meant is that if Kirsty can save enough not to need a job here, then there are those who will survive wherever they go & maybe she is one of them? Look at the expat sages thread, how many of us did all that much planning?
http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/70875-question-expat-sages-dr1.html

In my days of being 22 it was the done thing if you were a well educated Brit. to grab a rucksack & head off for India & Afghanistan. I guess these days you'd probably give Afghanistan a pass :cheeky: but there are youngsters heading out into the great unknown all the time as part of a growing up experience. However, if Kirsty thinks it is a 'massive decision' then maybe she isn't one of the adventurers, so Kirsty, read Marlie's post. And come back to us because otherwise people give attention to something else & you could miss out.

This is exactly what I meant, we have no idea what kind of person Kirsty is or what her expectations are. It's common to pack up for 6 months and visit the world...Without planning it for 2 years. The DR is higher on the the list of "safe places" to do that in. Compared to most of the places young people are choosing to go to in Asia and in Africa...In all honesty the DR is a piece of cake compared to so many places. (That doesn't mean she should ignore the good advice given)

Perhaps I'm a little more adventurous than some, who knows. ;)

Kirsty_Coco_Loco

Feb 1, 2008
As you'll have enough money to live from AND Spanish (how refreshing) why not think about voluntary work? If you're going to be in Puerto Plata Integracion Juvenil are always on the look out for teachers who can offer several months committment (working with children who have been abused/neglected &/or in the half-way home they're setting up for offenders).
Integraci?n Juvenil
If you're in Sosua/Cabarete contact Dr. Bob of Crossroads Project
About Us
If in Cabarete, the Dream Project - lots of references on this board.

see to do something like that would be amazing. would defo be a life changing experience. you'd certainly appreciate the finer things in life.

thanks for all your advise, its been very helpful. its defo something i want to do once ive got enough money :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
see to do something like that would be amazing. would defo be a life changing experience. you'd certainly appreciate the finer things in life.

thanks for all your advise, its been very helpful. its defo something i want to do once ive got enough money :)

If you ever want a personal introduction to Integracion Juvenil let us know. My other half is on the committee & we've known the people there for years. And if you decide to come here (we live in Puerto Plata) to work as a volunteer for the good of Dominican children you can count on us to be available for advice should you need it. Good luck with the saving up.

Kirsty_Coco_Loco

Feb 1, 2008
Thanks! Oh and I forgot to answer someones question about why don't I get a job in accounts.... My answer is, I just don't know if its me. Don't get me wrong but I love my job, I'd just rather be out there... rather than stuck in an office dealing with other peoples money. Its not very meaningful...