I would not make 2 days on Survivor!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha ha ha :) i enjoyed thinking you may be doing it in real life too, that would be so super cool!

Sep 4, 2012
running AC on the inversor will not only kill your batteries but also an inversor. and that's not a cheap affair to replace...

personally i do not understand the air con needs, i hate it with a vengeance and it really bothers me. i hate using air con and i have been refusing to have it installed in our bedroom. i even hate fans. the heat bothers me a lot less than noise and the air blowing from the fan...

in any case, if you insists on air con at all times i suggest investing in a generator and running your AC unit from that. ot, even better, invest in solar power altogether. the supply is not likely to get better, in fact many areas with previously 24/7 power now suffer blackouts. solar power system will cost a lot of money but will give you total independence from electricity suppliers. add well to that and you will be self-sufficient it terms of water as well.

another think for you to remember for now is taht you have to plan your day better. never ever use washing machine with inversor. do the laundry when you have power. since you and wife do not work you have more time and can adjust to the power supply schedule for now. do not use hairdryers with inversor either, it is better to venture to the salon, let the sun dry your hair or wash/dry hair when street power is on.

PJT is right: those who arrive here think they cannot do without this or that. you can and you will, like just now, when you had a complete power failure. you will learn how to manage. for instance i love washing in hot water. so when there is no power (and water heater is off) i simply boil a big pot of water and wash using bucket and a small jug. in hot water, but sans shower comforts.

btw, i would love to hear PJT talk about himself in third person :)

Someomeone has been officially "Aplatanada." LOL

In all seriousness, that is the proactive way to approach life; not only in the DR but anywhere. Adapt and overcome!

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
This is similar to a car with broken A/C

PJT had mulled the A/C matter with his Dominican born wife among many other matters prior to making the transition to the DR. We followed her advice and the home was designed to have glass shutter windows,Dominican style, with screening to allow maximum amount of natural air circulation throughout the home less the mosquitos. All rooms have ceiling fans and there are few table fans available to allow isolated comfort zones. There is one small A/C unit in the living room that is used once or twice a year when there is no breeze and the heat is really unbearable. PJT does have a generator to serve as backup during a power outage. Because he is not dependant on A/C the generator is able to provide service to the whole house to include all the fans running without problem, should it be needed. His electric energy bill is about half of those neighbors who use A/C. He has learned to sleep without A/C, using fan comfort only when needed and the open windows are a great assist.

It has been PJT's observation some homes and apartments settled by the A/C lovers lack the openness of his. It is especially noticible they have the sliding windows that limit free air entry and exit to less than half the window frame. It is a good design to maintain the A/C cool within the home, but hell during blackouts. Once the heat enters it is hard to get out.

PJT's suggestion is to find ways to open up the apartment / home to allow more air circulation, invest in ceiling fans to assist comfort and have less impact and stress upon inverters and generators. This investment will pay for itself in the long run by lowering energy costs and dependency on A/C.

Regards,

PJT[/QUOTE]

Cars designed with A/C lack the vents/ventilation that ones without A/C have. I drove a taxi for 20 years here in Canada (rented from the company) and believe me, a car with broken A/C is WAY worse that one that never had it in the first place.
ggparts

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Lower the windows ?

Cars designed with A/C lack the vents/ventilation that ones without A/C have. I drove a taxi for 20 years here in Canada (rented from the company) and believe me, a car with broken A/C is WAY worse that one that never had it in the first place. ggparts

Huh ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The Canadian taxis do not have the capacity to lower the windows ? :p LOL

............ at least in the DR they can open the windows in the cars and homes.

Regards,

PJT

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
I said "Cars designed with A/C lack the vents/ventilation that ones without A/C have."
Yes of course the windows open, but the lack of floor and dash vents significantly reduce the air flow similar to your description of construction techniques that "allow maximum amount of natural air circulation" that's all

ggparts

Feb 7, 2007
What about the split a/c that say they are for inverters? They intrigue me - could one of those run on an inverter?

Inverter AC does not mean that it is made to be used with inverter. The "inverter" portion of the designation means that it reduces energy by doing some inverting of compressor speed. I don't really understand the stuff. But you can study here
Air conditioner inverter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
In all seriousness, that is the proactive way to approach life; not only in the DR but anywhere. Adapt and overcome!

yes, adapt and overcome. all while maintaining integrity. as i mentioned, i like my showers hot. i adapted to the patched use of a water heater but i did not give up hot water as such :)
so i am not saying harley should give up his dream of AC all night. but he needs to plan and organize it better. overcome part is more important than adapt, i guess. if you cannot find solution to your daily issues they will eat you up alive.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
ANYTHING can run off an inverter.
But depends on the size of the inverter.
Length of time depends on the # of batteries.
I know of a couple of "Ricos" who run "AIR" off an inverter.
"Koreano", please don't tell me you have an electric oven/stove????????????????????????????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I live with a bunch of Dominicans that never had indoor plumbing,hot water, or air conditioning,
Now, they can't LIVE without all three.
"How Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the farm, after they've seen "Santo Domingo", "Gringo Style"????????

A/c costs us nothing....you don't want to know what we pay for electricity!
I'm not going to have it on 24/7 or all night but from about 10pm-3am, i love it.
Why should I give that up or my tv's, computers, etc.
We have about 10-14 hours of actual street power a day and i knew this coming in. I'm sure most people who live near the beach with open windows that open FULLY and good ceiling fans wouldn't need A/C in my house, but I sweat like crazy at night. Could be a med side effect?!
I know the power will go out, obviously! We have not had any problems with our power for the first 5 months, not once did our power go out because we have good inverters and batteries.
We got the problem fixed and now i know not to have everything on forever. I was pushing things and wife said the "I told you so " thing :) I like to push things!

Some things I am willing to give up, like nice car, my kind of motorcycle, cell phone, i was addicted to my iphone and didn't even want to get a cell here. Can give up expensive clothes and jewelry, being able to go out a lot at night, and being not in a city, not having my fav restaurants or stores nearby. Sense of security I have even given up and I am a paranoid person. (I do feel safe in my home now, but always careful) but i will never give up internet or satellite.
Never have had A/C before b/c I'm from Van but even in dec when it snowed the 1 or 2 days it did i wore shorts, I'm WARM blooded!!
I don't live in a gated community but we get great wifi, satellite and so far power. I was surprised it took so long for the power outage! I can also keep the pool pump on non stop with the street power well for 10-14 hours a day, depends....

So I think people have different things they are willing to give up to live here.

in any case, if you insists on air con at all times i suggest investing in a generator and running your AC unit from that. ot, even better, invest in solar power altogether. the supply is not likely to get better, in fact many areas with previously 24/7 power now suffer blackouts. solar power system will cost a lot of money but will give you total independence from electricity suppliers. add well to that and you will be self-sufficient it terms of water as well.

[/QUOTE]

We will be getting Solar panels in the future, we have already talked to our inverter guy about it. Not for a while though!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
We will be getting Solar panels in the future, we have already talked to our inverter guy about it. Not for a while though!

Wanna know a neat trick? If you don't remove the quote bracket, we will know who you are quoting, just hit reply with quote, and post below, works every time.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

We're selling a brand new solar panel setup for two inverters that we shipped down and decided not to install, in case you're interested. They're in the DR1 Classifieds. [reasonable offers welcome]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
harley, note we are not criticizing you but only giving suggestion. another thing that we are opinionated bunch ;)

going solar costs lots of money, your house is large, you have a pool and probably lots of stuff consuming electricity. i would expect a quote of no less that a million pesos (about 25k dollars). but do not despair, i talked to a friend who has made some new contacts with people entering solar power marker and their prices are lower (it has something to do with subsidized equipment i don't know the details). something tells me this market will become more competitive...

yes, everyone has different stuff they give up or stick to no matter what. but i am also sure your priorities will also shift as you live here longer and adapt/adjust to the environment. i think that being hot is a part of all this, somewhat. i suffered more from heat in my first year, now i wear jeans in the winter, long sleeves and i feel cold. in your case meds may be showing some side effects too.

at the end of the day you are the one who knows best what is good for you and what is durable. be yourself :) DR can easily make one loose their mind :) you gotta keep cool. in all meanings of that word ;)

I knew the heat would be a problem for me, yet that is the exact reason we moved here, to help my Wife's Chronic pain.

She loves the heat and gets cold here, lol. She actual admitted to me the other day that she kinda liked the A/C at night and she hates A/C!

AE I wish we could afford to buy yours now but we have done way to much remodeling etc...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The price of solar panels, charge controllers, etc (like most items here) is still exorbitant compared to the prices in the US. Much cheaper to import them yourself when you decide to go that way.