Idiot Driver (photo)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Aslo, I don't know if the Domin. drivers are any stupider than anyone else, heck back in Orlando I've seen some pretty stupid stuff, and we had fatal accidents almost every other day during the day. Here that is still uncommon to see during the day.

Chip and Musiqueen - I totally agree with you two on the South Florida driving. I got hit trying to merge onto a highway way too many times. I couldnt get over the fact that a place with SOOOO much traffic does not understand the concept that others have to get on the road they THINK they own!!

I have been driving in DR since I was about 15 and thank God I have been ok. But then again I do avoid the streets where the public transportation frequents (and rush hour of course) - as much as possible...

Talk about OFFENSIVE driving to the upmost fullest.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Great photo!
I was talking to a Dominican lady last night. She goes to Spain often. She said she is afraid to drive there because she is a Dominican Driver and she is afraid she doesn't know all the correct rules of the road to drive outside of DR. So when she goes to Spain she has someone else drive her car for her.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
my buddy is dominican and he always drives when ever I go places with him.. this is a very common sight with him....right up till the last second!!!!
7wz6bnp.jpg

6sv3vo0.jpg

bob

I liked the other pics more;):bunny:

May 12, 2005
Just learn to expect the unexpected and everything will be fine. If you think someone can't possibly do something, plan that they will actually do that something with their car.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I actually prefer driving in the DR to the States. For one, things are a lot closer by. Two, I know how Domincans drive - the rules of the road, so it doesn't seem chaotic in the least bit to me. In the States one is forever trying to beat the lights in order not to have to wait 5 min. to cross the intersection. Here in the DR, if there isn't a whole lot of traffic I'll just let everyone know I'll be a little "late" with a little tap on the horn - don't worry, the Dominicans will be looking for you to do it too - they are 100 times more defensive than Americans.

Also, one of the best things is having a motorcycle here. I don't know what "traffic" means. I go right between the cars to the front of the line and a lot of times right through the intersection when it is red. Running around in Santiago is a charm for me. What typically takes 40 min. in the yipeta takes 10, maybe - really. My stress level since moving down here has gone to negative 5. Also, you can't beat being able to have a cold one or two without worrying that you will be throwing your live away. A tip of RD200 can fix that jiffy quick, haha.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A question for the people posting here: Did any of you actually read post #19 by Tonywillies???

Robert, those photos are so cool! (laura(Grammy winner)pasinifan)....

HB

Sep 19, 2005
Luis...if you look at the first picture i posted closely...you can see that the line of traffic we are in goes for dozens and dozens of cars basically bumber to bumber almost. So as soon as we barely survive one head on pass after another...we only get 100 feet further after 30 minutes of those antics.

I am all for being brave if there is light at the end of the tunnel..

as for post # 19...

I saw that movie several times while in the DR!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha

bob

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Driving

:ermm:
I actually prefer driving in the DR to the States. For one, things are a lot closer by. Two, I know how Domincans drive - the rules of the road, so it doesn't seem chaotic in the least bit to me. In the States one is forever trying to beat the lights in order not to have to wait 5 min. to cross the intersection. Here in the DR, if there isn't a whole lot of traffic I'll just let everyone know I'll be a little "late" with a little tap on the horn - don't worry, the Dominicans will be looking for you to do it too - they are 100 times more defensive than Americans.

Also, one of the best things is having a motorcycle here. I don't know what "traffic" means. I go right between the cars to the front of the line and a lot of times right through the intersection when it is red. Running around in Santiago is a charm for me. What typically takes 40 min. in the yipeta takes 10, maybe - really. My stress level since moving down here has gone to negative 5. Also, you can't beat being able to have a cold one or two without worrying that you will be throwing your live away. A tip of RD200 can fix that jiffy quick, haha.

Hmmm, be careful Chip. I've already seen the likes of you spattered all over the road more than once in under a year. Both were fatal accidents (to the motorcycle driver who went through the red light).

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Safe Driving

Just FYI, the safest and most courteous drivers I've ever seen are on the island of St. Kitts. My family lives there so I go there frequently (they drive on the left with steering on the right). Never had a problem at all. The people there know that the pedestrian really DOES have the right of way. They slow down at intersections as there are no traffic lights. If they see someone who even looks like they are going to step into the street, they stop or at least slow down with caution. They only drive fast on the open road and even dogs have the right of way there. If you need to merge into the flow of traffic or simply need to make a turn while coming from the other direction, they stop and either let you in front of them or let you complete your turn before they proceed. There are very few accidents there and not much need to worry about tickets or fines. Amazing the difference in the two islands as far as driving goes. I love driving there.:bunny:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006

wow Chip you really turned into a true Dominican, disregard for authority, drinks while driving, and bribes the cops.
please be careful.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
wow Chip you really turned into a true Dominican, disregard for authority, drinks while driving, and bribes the cops.
please be careful.

Hey I'm a lightweight drinker and hardly ever get drunk! I just drink everyday but a small amount as is recommended by doctors.

Also, I don't usually run red lights downton Santiago, but the country side of town in Gurabo. Heck, many times if you are the first car at a red light and there is no traffic, more than likely the cars behind you will toot their horn or pass you if you don't go throught it.

As far as bribing, well, when in Rome do as the Romans, haha.

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
From my point of view I think the problem starts right where the law starts. Everytime I go to the DR; I get a person to drive me around becuase I don't trust the drivers but neither the traffic signals. If you guys look at the picture you will notice that there isn't any lines dividing the streets. It's only one road to come and go and no yellow lines. I don't know what I will do if I was ever forced to drive there. Here in LA traffic law is followed by most people as there is cops everywhere; but also because the traffic signals are noticeable from afar. The authorities there should start doing something about the yellow lines and maybe this type of incidents will be more under control.

Just a thought!

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
You all are beginning to scare me! lol We are renting a car when we arrive next Friday, but I'm making my best friend do the driving! She is from Aruba and is used to crazy island driving. jajajajaja ;)