IKEA prices

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
i have two sofas, a sofa bed, a set of armchairs and a coffee table from ikea. all was relatively cheap, modern and has lasted few years now with zero issues.

We have a few items from Ikea, including a bestabur desk, some end tables, a few lamps.. All are over 3 1/2 years old no issues at all, and we live at the beach.. We have a full bedroom set from Ilumel now that makes IKEA look reasonable in price..
But I agree everything here sold in the name brand retailers is 30 percent more.. But whats EVEN MORE ANNOYING is the crap they sell in places like Plaza lama, poor quality crap, and at ridiculous prices.. The kind of garbage I wouldn't even look at back home, but here is standard..

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
When we bought our IKEA stuff in SD in 2013, I compared the prices to Sweden (where we are from and where we are now) and it was all cheaper. Not by much, but still. We chose to have it delivered and the things for the kitchen assembled by them and they even assembled some of our stuff for free. Would not have happened in Sweden, it would've cost us a lot more. Here we always do it ourselves. And yes, IKEA is the cheaper option partly because you have to put the **** together :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
IKEA landed in D.R. at the exact same time my condo was completed. The designer bought a bunch of stuff there... as it was New and Exciting.. and I'm certain she thought she was doing something special for us. Having long experience with IKEA stuff in U.S.A., it was old hat for me, but I appreciated her efforts. I also added a few items along the way. A few years later, haven't had any problems so far near the beach in Punta Cana... but we'll see. DID see a little bit of swelling initially on some particle board shelving units... but it hasn't gotten any worse... Back then did a pretty comprehensive price comparison... and it was 50 - 80 % more in D.R... BEFORE itbis.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
My condo in Sosua became empty after over a year of being rented as an office. I tried to get on the st dom site to order some furniture before I came down a couple of weeks ago. I am glad that the site was so difficult to order furniture from that I went to local stores on the north coast. We spent more than I had budgeted for but now have solid wood and nice furniture for renters to stay in. I tried to tell mi esposa that she would not be sleeping there but I was out voted by her and the our helper. In the end I like our place and even though I will not be able to stay here as it is rented or 4 months I am glad that the Ikea site was so difficult to navigate from Canada. I am happy with our well made furniture and the price we paid in PP.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
And their excuse would be that import duties are high, and that they have to pay ITBIS, etc. Like if they didn't have to pay VAT and import taxes in other countries...

IKEA does not pay import duty, that was the deal they made with the government, and we pay the vat so the only conclusion is that they are ripping us off big time...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I can't believe IKEA is still in business here!!!
I go past their store a lot, at all times of the day.
Their parking lots, both outdoor, and indoor, are ALWAYS "MT"!!!
I can't believe they sell that much on line FOR DELIVERY ?????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

PICHARDO assured us that Dominicans were gullible enough to buy their crap at inflated prices forever. Even Robert tended to share this opinion.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I've been in there when it's been empty but the last two times I was there it was super full of people and they were buy a lot of stuff as well. We buy lots of office stuff, and storage container there.