Illegal to leave DR with pesos?

Ella

Jul 30, 2003
I was told by one of my friends in Europe that it is illegal to be in possession of Dominican Republic currency once you leave the country (DR). :surprised

This sounds absurd to me. I think it's a big crock...I travel to the DOminican Republic several times a year and I always end up having some DR currency with me when I come back to Toronto. It sounds silly to me but i'm just curious.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks!

Ella

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There might be a limit on the AMOUNT but I doubt that may people worry about it!!

HB

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have about 2000 pesos in my wallet here in JC.

its gotta be a total crock...you can order pesos here at a bank.

i think perhaps your friend might be thining of Cuba

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hey, it is illegal...!!!! :)

Why would you want Dominican pesos anywhere else but in DR?

Give it to some of the workers at the airport before you leave...I'm sure they'll appreciate your generosity...;)

MQ

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
VERY illegal

Just for your information--a number of years ago when the peso was 50:1 I brought a load of it home in order to renovate one of my apartments in NJ. Lo and behold one day a Dominican Housing inspector came to visit and when he saw that I had used the pesos for wallpaper he said "Hey dats illegal"
Wow--was I shocked! Now I never used them for wallpaper unless the peso is at least 40:1.

JOHN whoislaughingatthesillinessofFridayafternoons.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It is illegal...The law says you have to give those away to a money inspector before you leave the country. BTW I happen to be a money inspector...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Or

suarezn said:
It is illegal...The law says you have to give those away to a money inspector before you leave the country. BTW I happen to be a money inspector...

Italian Charities--which I am the head of in that area.

Ella

Jul 30, 2003
Musicqueen said:
Hey, it is illegal...!!!! :)

Why would you want Dominican pesos anywhere else but in DR?

Give it to some of the workers at the airport before you leave...I'm sure they'll appreciate your generosity...;)

MQ

No doubt...but even after all the tipping, I always come home with a couple 100 pesos. I tend to play on the safer side of things and try to have more available to me than I'm sure I need because "you never know".
I didn't think it was a big deal and I know that eventually I will use it when I return.

Who knew! One more excuse to use it all up or pass it along to those that need it more.

Jun 5, 2004
This makes no sense to me I believe that if someone wants to bring back some money from the DR they should have no problem. For security porpouses there should be a limit but nothing like what is being mentioned here. Give it to an inspector PLEASE!!! Inspector steal enough from people going to visit the DR if anything you should give the money to your loved ones or to who ever the hell you want the Dominican government should not be telling you what to do with your money.

(NOTE:Suarezn I am not in any way trying to offend you but it is the truth may not be in your case but many other inspectors do this)

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
if you cant have pesos outside the DR why do they let you buy them before you get to the DR in some airports? sounds like a scare tactic for some reason.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Ella said:
No doubt...but even after all the tipping, I always come home with a couple 100 pesos. I tend to play on the safer side of things and try to have more available to me than I'm sure I need because "you never know".
I didn't think it was a big deal and I know that eventually I will use it when I return.

Who knew! One more excuse to use it all up or pass it along to those that need it more.
Musicqueen was joking, there is no law (or al least any law that they bother to enforce) about taking small amounts of pesos out of the DR.

As a matter of fact, last time I left the DR, they asked me to empty my pockets and the saw I had plenty of pesos. They questioned how much I had (I'm not sure if they were asking about the pesos or dollars), I told them the amount and they didn't seem to care.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
apdomini100max said:
This makes no sense to me I believe that if someone wants to bring back some money from the DR they should have no problem. For security porpouses there should be a limit but nothing like what is being mentioned here. Give it to an inspector PLEASE!!! Inspector steal enough from people going to visit the DR if anything you should give the money to your loved ones or to who ever the hell you want the Dominican government should not be telling you what to do with your money.

(NOTE:Suarezn I am not in any way trying to offend you but it is the truth may not be in your case but many other inspectors do this)
Suarezn was joking!

Island777

Oct 9, 2005
Against Whose Law?

Are you saying that its against DR law to leave their jurisdiction with pesos? How can you criminalize possession of a legal tender? Or was it the pasting on the wall in another jurisdiction/country that was supposedly illegal? Desecrating the currency might be illegal in the DR, but do you suppose its against for example US law to use DR currency as wallpaper? Maybe it is. Seems unlikely to me. Any lawyers out there actually know?
-Island777

Ella said:
I was told by one of my friends in Europe that it is illegal to be in possession of Dominican Republic currency once you leave the country (DR). :surprised

This sounds absurd to me. I think it's a big crock...I travel to the DOminican Republic several times a year and I always end up having some DR currency with me when I come back to Toronto. It sounds silly to me but i'm just curious.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks!

Ella

Very true!!!! But dont worry i will leave you an account# to leave it in and I will take good care of your pesos

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
real big crcok...i do it all the time so i have money in hand for my return trips...hillbilly es correcto!