I'm bored in NC.

Lili88

Jul 1, 2009
Hola

So JJ what is your status now? are you still in NC, I'm about to move overthere from houston TX, because we have some families out there. we are so lonely here. I face the same problem you had in NC; is hard to start all over but sometimes you have to do it and make the best out of it. Hope all is well.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
So JJ what is your status now? are you still in NC, I'm about to move overthere from houston TX, because we have some families out there. we are so lonely here. I face the same problem you had in NC; is hard to start all over but sometimes you have to do it and make the best out of it. Hope all is well.

Yes I'm still here. Things are going much better now, working over a year for the same company, my English is better every day more, this is helping me a lot as I can understand people and they can understand me anywhere I go and the most important is that I know how to go?. I don?t need the map anymore!!!!!!.

HE, he

JJ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good for you JJ....good for you..

and thanks for helping so many people with their transportation issues over the past year...

HB

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Good for you JJ....good for you..

and thanks for helping so many people with their transportation issues over the past year...

HB

Thanks you and all the Dr1er for helping me with yours good advises and your friendship.

Regards

JJ

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
bachata,
just curious how you're adjusting to southern food... and if you have any favorites at this point?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
bachata,
just curious how you're adjusting to southern food... and if you have any favorites at this point?

I cook Dominican food almost every day at home after work I do cookout in the back yard too; the meat here is very good. I like to go out in the weekends ?Golden Corral? this is my favorite restaurant they serve American food.

JJ

web

Nov 5, 2005
JJ, have you tried the carolina barbeque on a bun with cole slaw and sweet bbq sauce and chased down by some carolina sweet tea? You try that and I'll have some chicharones para ti with batata on the side or yuca. They have excellent steaks there in Lowe's foods. I nice fat marbled ribeye would be good grilled to perfection with some corn on the cob and a baked potato.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
JJ, have you tried the carolina barbeque on a bun with cole slaw and sweet bbq sauce and chased down by some carolina sweet tea? You try that and I'll have some chicharones para ti with batata on the side or yuca. They have excellent steaks there in Lowe's foods. I nice fat marbled ribeye would be good grilled to perfection with some corn on the cob and a baked potato.

No yet, but maybe next time you come back to NC we can have a great time having a cookout in my back yard with some cold Presidente beers.

JJ

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
JJ, have you tried the carolina barbeque on a bun with cole slaw and sweet bbq sauce and chased down by some carolina sweet tea?

Now depending on where you are at that might be vineagar or catsup based. Both of which are mighty good. BTW, don't forget the hushpuppies, fried okra and pecan pie! Buen provecho bacahata!

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hi, JJ, I live in Mississippi and I am the only Dominicano anywhere near here. Plus there are a few mexicans but most people here don't even really understand what latino or dominicano means. it is really really sad here but I hope to move soon back to California. Just wanted to let you know I could relate to your story
Biggs

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
What he said.

Next monday I will be off for labor day, I think it is good time to visit NY to enjoy the chicharones and the Presidentes with my friend, but back to NC on Monday. I changed my mind about living in NY after I passed my firts winter here in the US. If I make a move will be to Florida.

JJ

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Next monday I will be off for labor day, I think it is good time to visit NY to enjoy the chicharones and the Presidentes with my friend, but back to NC on Monday. I changed my mind about living in NY after I passed my firts winter here in the US. If I make a move will be to Florida.

JJ

JJ enjoy your trip,,,,,,, why not go in January when it is really cold.

You and your family would like Florida, especially Miami.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
JJ enjoy your trip,,,,,,, why not go in January when it is really cold.

You and your family would like Florida, especially Miami.

Thanks Bigbird, but my trip to NY will have to wait to the end of this month, "La jefa" (Rocio) said this weekend the trafic will be bad.
Yes we had been twice in Miami this year and the place that we really like is West Palm Beach, we spent two days over there in my aunt's house.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
All my Dominicans friends will be laughing about me this weekend!!!!! Finally after a year and half I'm coming back to DR but I haven't been to NY yet.....I can't say nothing about the Empire state building, nothing about the Lincoln tunnel...... I will have to stay quited no one want to listen stories about other city than NEW YORK.
This is what Dominican people say Nueva York Es Nuva York lo demas es monte y culebras

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
All my Dominicans friends will be laughing about me this weekend!!!!! Finally after a year and half I'm coming back to DR but I haven't been to NY yet.....I can't say nothing about the Empire state building, nothing about the Lincoln tunnel...... I will have to stay quited no one want to listen stories about other city than NEW YORK.
This is what Dominican people say Nueva York Es Nuva York lo demas es monte y culebras

Mi hermano pero a usted lo tienen controlao y la parte, really for a Dominican to not set foot in NY after a year and a half is kinda awkward as other cities, while more affordable and quietest doesn't have the Dominican appeal that NY has. I have a sense that your wife doesn't want you to go to NY because as once you set foot there you'll want to move there.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Interesting , my wife has lived in Canada since 1999 and has no desire to go to NYC. She has a friend that just joined her husband there and she can't stand it. Personally I think you are better off in NC. I't should be interesting if you notice any change in the way you think of the DR after being back for a week or two after 18 months in a different culture.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Interesting , my wife has lived in Canada since 1999 and has no desire to go to NYC. She has a friend that just joined her husband there and she can't stand it. Personally I think you are better off in NC. I't should be interesting if you notice any change in the way you think of the DR after being back for a week or two after 18 months in a different culture.

One question, does your wife has several family and friends in NYC? For me that's the NYC appeal, it is not the buildings or the crazy traffic. Is the family and friends. If you compare NYC to the DR of course you will choose the DR, but if you are forced to live in the US be it for job obligations or opportunity, NYC is the obvious choice for a Dominican, unless you have a really good job offer in other town.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The reason for what I was thinking to move to NY is exactly what you say; Friends, I have hundreds all over the Gran Manzana but no one in my family lives in there.
I think Bob is right, I'm better here in NC. I can see that many people want to move from NY to NC, look 60 % of my coworkers are New yorkers in scape. some time when I say that I would like to live there they say that I'm crazy that we live like rich people here, big houses with land scape parking spots every way you go & that this place is clean and safe....
But any way I am willing to go there some time just for visit.

JJ

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........But any way I am willing to go there some time just for visit.

JJ

Hello JJ, a long time ago people used to say New York is a great place to "visit" but I wouldn't want to "live" there. That saying holds true today.