Im Moving! Need some info guys.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The cost of living in Santiago is probably less than half of that of SD comparing Dominican middle to upper middle class living standards.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I,mistakenly,bought a house in DS 15 years ago_Only because I worked here for 10 years. (Should have rented)
I have four kids,and would rather have raised them in a "Gated Community",near/on the beach.
If price is not a huge concern,I would choose "Casa de Campo", or almost anyplace to the east,like Cap Cana.
You MUST rent before you buy!
Finding an honest,hard working person to work for you, in ANY position, is a tough task here.
Most "Thefts" are the result of "insiders" setting you up.
Best bet is to use DR1 as a resource for references for anyone you might hire.
Santiago is a little cheaper than SD,but not much.
Santiago,like SD is experiencing a big increase in crime,mostly due to increased drug usage,and subsequent turf wars.
You must,"Watch Your Back"at all times,especially after dark.
I have lived here for 17 years,and visited for 9 years before that.I don't plan to move anytime soon.
Just be aware that the DR is NOT Turks & Cacos,however I speli it!
To those who will now tell you how safe secure,and wonderfull living in the DR is,I disagree with the first two,and agree with the "Wonderful"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
I came here considering the DR for a two to three years period, but now, I'm having second thoughts..Oh man, how can you people be there under such circumstances, are you kidding or what I read is true?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is true that most people choosing to live in the DR right now are already living in the country ( or well seasoned in DR) many without another option, some just stubborn wouldn't move for wild horses, many living in a bubble, and a couple just like the lottery of life, and some been around so long they are part of the furniture. I'm not seeing people breaking down the doors right now to get in, it isn't perfect timing to experience how wonderful the place used to be, and can be, that is for sure.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I came here considering the DR for a two to three years period, but now, I'm having second thoughts..Oh man, how can you people be there under such circumstances, are you kidding or what I read is true?

My opinon is don't base your decision on anything CC or Donp says.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
I will say come to Juan Dolio because you can find nice houses that allows you to have your dogs and they have bilingual international school and most of all the airport is just 25 minutes away and santo domingo only 45 minutes. Juan Dolio is very nice because you are on a beach golf community that is very safe and tranquilo and also has plenty of nice Italian restaurant. If your Finacee wants to flight to Canada she can do it from La Romana International airport which is just 1 hour away with the direct flights to some cities in canada. Please PM me if needs more information about this area

siegs

May 9, 2006

Reality can have a sting to it Chip. People making a major move in life need to hear realistic opinions no matter how negative or harsh. You would be well suited to keep your feelings about others on this board set to the side and share something useful this family could use in their move to the DR.
Glad you're back from vaca...
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssss SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSieg

Last edited:

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
I think if the house is isolated a security guard is a more appropriate term. If you need someone 24/7 it will cost. Maybe could look for a house in a gated guarded area then it is only areliable taxi driver or driver you need, on call, known to you with references. Taking children to school, picking up shopping etc. Also live in maid.

yapask1

donP

Dec 14, 2008
50 : 8

Them of all people who have almost 50 years of DR life between them.... :classic:

But true, one can listen to RE agents, lawyers, and little contractors to get the feel of the land... :cheeky:

donP

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Them of all people who have almost 50 years of DR life between them.... :classic:

But true, one can listen to RE agents, lawyers, and little contractors to get the feel of the land... :cheeky:

donP

Funny how HB has almost as many years as both of you do and yet he isn't preaching the doom and gloom you guys do at every turn.

I realize the DR has it's issues but it's not so bad comparitavely speaking to other places I have lived. If it was I wouldn't be here.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Doom and Gloom

Funny how HB has almost as many years as both of you do and yet he isn't preaching the doom and gloom you guys do at every turn.

We do not preach, nor does Hillbilly (exept his 10 'commandments' on sankies :bunny: ).
We simply tell it how it is.
Usually I give a link, so a reader can make up her/his own opinion on the matter.

Doom and gloom?
Sounds a bit religious to me... :cheeky:

donP

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We do not preach, nor does Hillbilly (exept his 10 'commandments' on sankies :bunny: ).
We simply tell it how it is.
Usually I give a link, so a reader can make up her/his own opinion on the matter.

Doom and gloom?
Sounds a bit religious to me... :cheeky:

donP

There are different kinds of religion, perhaps you are the high priest of Doom and gloom. When one only posts negative posts, it shouldn't be suprising if at least one or two people find it doom and gloom.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
P + 3

There are different kinds of religion, perhaps you are the high priest of Doom and gloom.

I have been named 'the undertaker' and now 'high priest'. :bunny:
Some kind of (heavenly) promotion, I presume.

When one only posts negative posts, it shouldn't be suprising if at least one or two people find it doom and gloom.

One or two is allright. :classic: :classic:
Sorry, boom and glamour posts are already done by Pichy and his three diciples. ;)

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
will you please cut it? jeez!

getting a good lawyer is a must. they will help you with the paperwork and may be able to recommend service people. you can do a search or just ask, many dr1ers have used decent and honest lawyers they are happy with.

i can sort of see that money is not much of an issue to you so expect to match what dominican middle class spends a month. for two adults and 3 kids living a nice life you would probably stay at 100k pesos a month - about 2.500 dollars. many will say it's too much but some would go even higher. my friends in santiago have a 3 year old kid and his "school" is 8.000 pesos a month. not even the best/most expensive in town. what do you teach a 3 year old that is worth 200 bucks a month? boggles my brain.

and i see why do people have an issue with guarda espaldas? my in law has a driver/bodyguard. only he is not allowed to drive because he kept crashing cars and my suegro got pi**ed off :) but it is somewhat good to have an armed military hang around...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Reality can have a sting to it Chip. People making a major move in life need to hear realistic opinions no matter how negative or harsh. You would be well suited to keep your feelings about others on this board set to the side and share something useful this family could use in their move to the DR.
Glad you're back from vaca...
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssss SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSieg

I have plenty of posts regarding the good and bad in the DR. Violence has become a concern for all of us here.

This topic is of course a topic of discussion in my group of acquaintances/friends/families that I work and am around on a daily basis however it hasn't gotten to the point that people are not going out after dark, only staying on the well traveled roads if they are out late say after 11. Still my brother in law comes back fairly frequently from Salcedo to Santiago after midnight and has been for the last 15 years and never had one incident. Also, too the streets here in Santiago are full of high school and college students from 10pm to 10:30pm every night of the week. Furthermore, there are many carro publicos and guaguas running around town and between town until almost 12 pm - everyday.

To continue, this group of people I am referring too covers the whole gamut of Dominicans, from laborers, truck drivers to engineers and business owners and numbers around 40 people on the low side and I would say I chat with these people on a weekly basis. Therefore, I think my opinion for how things are here in Santiago are valid.

So SSSSeigheil why don't you give us a background of your experience here in the DR and leave it up to people here to decide who they should be listening too instead of speaking for them?

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
..In santiago you are very far from the beach..the nightlife is smaller too. In santiago they got no big malls and what they got is very limited.

I know some people who live in Santo Domingo Norte, take longer to get to Boca Chica, than I take to get to Sosua. No big Malls? Colinas Mall is the second biggest Mall in DR with 70,000 m2 of retail space, only surpass by MegaCentro. I doubt the OP is interested in night life, but you're right Santiago does have a smaller night life, although in my opinion the quality of girls in Santiago over Santo Domingo compensates for that. It sometimes amazes me the ignorance of capitalenos towards Santiago, and how sarcastically surprised they get when they find out that Santiagueros enjoy almost all the commodities they enjoy in Santo Domingo. All that said, that wasn't directed at you, just throwing it out there.

Anyways, I would personally choose Santiago over Santo Domingo any day, but hey that's just me, como dice el dicho "para los gustos se hicieron los colores".

Last edited:

Zulu

May 27, 2012
I say try both places before you decide spend a weekend in either cities look for International schools that would suit your preference get a map look at the distance between your daughters schools and where you live this will help you in commuting to and from transportation seems to be a hassle if you do no have your own ride, basically figure out which city is cost effective, as well as safe before you can call it home. Since you may have a lot of free time i noticed in the Dominican Republic it can get boring if you are simply following a routine especially for an energetic person such as myself the beach, malls, nightlife can get tiresome. Find something to keep you occupied from time to time then you will appreciate the small things in life

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I just bet,that "HB" can post all by himself.
No need to hide behind his "Apron Strings" every time you have nothing of your own to add to the thread.
People with no original thoughts,ALWAYS have to make the thread about themselves.
Transparent,boring,dull,uninteresting,and they soon become a "One Trick Pony".
Take a few month off of DR1,read a book,get a job,and see if you can find ANYTHING positive to add to a thread????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC