I'm Relocating to Santo Domingo -- advice appreciated!

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
Welcome Rachel!

As an American from California who moved here 4 years ago for the same reason...work. It's a nice change of pace.

A couple of things:
You can get your Hep A & B vaccinations there in SDQ. There is NO vaccination for Hep C...as of yet. It's better to do there that way you can keep track of the 2nd & 3rd rounds. Other than that, not much more you can get.

Until your system (body...stomach) is accustomed to eating the food...on the streets, don't. Although there are some excellent food vendors on the street, there doesn't seem to be food handling restrictions that are enforced or in place. Give yourself 6 months or so. If you order hamburgers, tacos etc...any fast food, have it minus lettuce, tomatoes etc. You can get salmonella & amebia easy! Trust me...have had amebia after Hurricane Georges and last year had Typhoid Fever. Last year is because I had a compromised immune system, Typhoid isn't the norm here, but as long as you're careful you'll be ok. Bottled water only as well.

As for an apartment, ask and make sure there is 24 hour electricity AND sufficient hot water, ie: a hot water heater. Seems that alot of apartments don't have plants and when the electricity goes off, you have none. Something we as American's have always had in the states...well I guess we all did.

Register w/ the American Consolulate. That way if you lose your passport etc., they can get you a new one ASAP.

Anyway, good luck. Get it in writing...a contract! BEFORE you come. If you need help there is an excellent law firm in that bldg. &/or I understand that the gentleman that hosts the legal section is also really good (don't know his specialty though).

It's getting ready to get hotter...so pack light and I agree, wait until you get here to check out the work clothes situation.

Lynn

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
As someone who contracts work all the time (I've worked in 15 different cities), I'll tell you that individual job contracts are worth the paper they are written on and serve as little more than written confirmation of a verbal agreement.

Unless someone is going to court over a matter, they are meaningless. The cost of a court case and chances of actual collection rarely make court a vialble option after breach of contract. The main reason you need to get it in writing is to be able to show people what they agreed on, should they "forget" later. A recording of the phone coversation is just as good.

Register with the consulate? I've seen that recommendation many times, but I've never done it myself, or known anybody that has. Please explain exactly the benefits of this? I thought this was only so that you can give them a date at which you will check back in, and if you don't, they'll notify somebody that you specified.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
about getting a job

If you have specific skills, you can a job here or there. The company probably found that local people of that caliber aren't available as executive secretaries, being they are in executive positions themselves. I'm sure you are pretty darn good at what you do to get decent money (US$3,000/month is what I needed to survive on, during Peace Corps I lived on less than $300/month). I find that I spend more in the DR to maintain a similiar standard of living I have in the US. You will also find you enjoy life a bit more in the DR. Speaking Spanish and having a little bit of money is the key. Assuming the biligual means English/Spanish, you will have a wonderful experience.

domgirl1

Apr 5, 2002
Re: Huh?

rrwells said:
Hi Jazzcom,
I'm just wondering why you're sceptical. I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to get screwed over -- but, they're spending about 2500 USD just to get me there and put me up for a week, so there's another side of me that thinks they're serious. Do you think they're quoting me one salary and are going to give me the slip when I get there?
I have to have something else to worry about..

Rachel

Hi Rachel. I just want to congratulate you for the job. It is fairly difficult to get a job like that from the states but I like alot of other people I would suggest that you get a contract before getting there. I currently work with someone that worked for Price in the Dominican Republic and he tells me some of the managers there are very hard to put up with.

I don't want to scare you but just giving some advice. I wish you the best of luck and enjoy DR. Update us on how your job is going. : )

domgirl1

Apr 5, 2002
Well for what he told me the partner in charge is a very difficult man. By how he explained it, he kind of wanted more of a girl to do absolutely everything for him.

He told me his niece went to interview for him and she got the job offer and everything but he mentioned to her that on top of her regular duties she would have to like put on his jacket and just stuff like that. I don't know if he was looking for more of a maid than an Ex. Asst. But anyhow, these are just things I have heard. I really hope that's not the way it is.

Best of luck to Rachel

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think after the Arthur Anderson debacle that folks at places like Price would be behaving themselves.

From that description of your friend's niece, the guy wanted a maid, too. That can come under the title of sexual harassment and could have serious consecuences for a U.S. Based company.

I would sue his ass off, in the States via a class action suit against Price...as the responsable party. All this must be documented of course, no he says-she says stuff...

Let's see what the young lady has to say when it is a done deal...

HB