Import a Container after Approved Residencia

Getbock

Oct 22, 2018
Hi.

Where can I get information about importing a container with my personal belongings after I get my permanent residence permit? I need to know the cost and what I am allowed to bring into the country.
I am a citizen from Europe.
I married a Dominican girl and my residence permit is approved now, I just need to go to Sweden for the stamp.
I have asked my lawyer but he did not know where I can get the information. That's why I'm asking this forum.
I hope someone here can tell me where I get the info.

JFK

Nov 27, 2003
Sorry the following link is in Spanish but google can help you translate it if needed: https://morillosurielabogados.com/e...-mobiliario-personal-en-republica-dominicana/

My own recommendation for electric devices because of the frequency difference between Europe and DR 50/60hz, you could face issues with some devices, the "safe" ones are the ones that use an external transformer/power supply but you may need a converter to convert 110V AC to 220V AC if 110V is not supported by the power supply.

Getbock

Oct 22, 2018
Sorry the following link is in Spanish but google can help you translate it if needed: https://morillosurielabogados.com/e...-mobiliario-personal-en-republica-dominicana/

My own recommendation for electric devices because of the frequency difference between Europe and DR 50/60hz, you could face issues with some devices, the "safe" ones are the ones that use an external transformer/power supply but you may need a converter to convert 110V AC to 220V AC if 110V is not supported by the power supply.
Thanks.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
You should look for a company in your own country because they will have to pick up your boxes. If you only have about 5 or 6 large packing boxes I would go for the air transportation and not by sea. I recommend DHL .They have much experience dealing with the customs here , they are multi lingual and they will deliver to your home in the DR. No matter what you may read on the government websites , the Dominican Customs will try to get some duties out of you. You will have declare the value of each carton or maybe in total but customs may ignore all that and go by weight. If your personal belongings are clothes, paintings, photos and sporting goods ,you can bring in basically everything. It simply is not worthwhile bringing furniture here. It is worth more euros to have an international firm do everything just to have your belongings arrive safely

Getbock

Oct 22, 2018
You should look for a company in your own country because they will have to pick up your boxes. If you only have about 5 or 6 large packing boxes I would go for the air transportation and not by sea. I recommend DHL .They have much experience dealing with the customs here , they are multi lingual and they will deliver to your home in the DR. No matter what you may read on the government websites , the Dominican Customs will try to get some duties out of you. You will have declare the value of each carton or maybe in total but customs may ignore all that and go by weight. If your personal belongings are clothes, paintings, photos and sporting goods ,you can bring in basically everything. It simply is not worthwhile bringing furniture here. It is worth more euros to have an international firm do everything just to have your belongings arrive safely
Thanks but I need information about what I can put in a container and about what the fees are.
I still have a company in Sweden with really good overseas transport connections, but I don't know what fees and tariffs tha customs take in DR.
I also need a good contact for a good Dominican agent for helping me with the document and transport in the DR.
I going to bring a full 40 feet container. I going to bring a wehicle inside too.
So, if there someone in this forum who can recomend a good forwarding agent that not take overprice from 'gringos'.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks but I need information about what I can put in a container and about what the fees are.
I still have a company in Sweden with really good overseas transport connections, but I don't know what fees and tariffs tha customs take in DR.
I also need a good contact for a good Dominican agent for helping me with the document and transport in the DR.
I going to bring a full 40 feet container. I going to bring a wehicle inside too.
So, if there someone in this forum who can recomend a good forwarding agent that not take overprice from 'gringos'.

Excellent Dominican agent who we used: (Spanish only)

467843A3-F26F-4D6F-B6A1-3B4700643F99.jpeg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hispaniola Freight is a Dominican freight company in Sto Domingo

I used them for my i\shipment several years ago... they spoke English

Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I would like to hear a few of the horror or success stories of those who shipped a car here ?
The only reason to ship one is if you know its history and reliability and it is tough enough to take the potholes here.
I had an 2001 Isuzu Trooper that would have been the ideal vehicle but it was too old to import in 2016. That car could take a pounding

Reactions: JD Jones

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I would like to hear a few of the horror or success stories of those who shipped a car here ?
The only reason to ship one is if you know its history and reliability and it is tough enough to take the potholes here.
I had an 2001 Isuzu Trooper that would have been the ideal vehicle but it was too old to import in 2016. That car could take a pounding
We shipped our car here. We bought it new, drove it 2-3 years then shipped it. Easy peasy, used returning Dominican discount. I think it cost us just over $4000 with everything (shipping, taxes, first plates).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Me too... brought a car here in Jan 2009....still going strong !!

2005 Wrangler Unlimited (1ft longer) w/ 77,000 miles....perfect !!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I've given up on finding one.

I saw an ad on marketplace for a 93' the same day it was posted, and when I called the guy he said he had just sold it.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Only 2005 has the extra length.....

look behind the driver's door - not my car....

View attachment 6733

I know them well, but 2005 is not the only year for them. It is a unlimited LJ and they were made from 1997 to 2006.

At one time there were 3 of them on Marketplace, but I haven't seen one since.

But in my case, I was looking for a regular Wrangler. This one looked pretty nice:

1670868564508.png

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
You're right! The round headlight TJ's were from 97 to 2006, but the LJ was only the last 3 years of TJ model years.

Last edited:

Getbock

Oct 22, 2018
Please read and reply only what I ask for.
If the answers and replies spread in all directions, I and others who may be interested in the question never get an answer to it.

Getbock

Oct 22, 2018

Please read and reply only what I ask for.

If the answers and replies spread in all directions, I and others who may be interested in the question never get an answer to it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, if you think about .... I imported my car in a 40ft container.
How else would it here...container or RoRo.....only way

My shipment was Jan 2009...... cost not much help to you
Hispaniola Freight helped me on this end

Good luck.... I hope your mood improves

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Getbock I really do not think that you are likely to obtain the answers to your questions on this particular site . Alta Ego has given you one name of an agent and if you Google Moving to the Dominican Republic you will see that the Government permits you to bring Duty Free all your personal items including a car. The problem is that the Customs Office may have a different view than you have as to what is personal but under the law all personal items can come in duty free when you are a resident and are moving here to live.