In need of car repair in Sosua.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Just moved to Sosua from Pop after 15 years. AC died this morning, also power steering leak issue and oil change is coming up soon. Can you recommend a place in Sosua? Thanks Phil

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You want it done right or Dominican style ?
I can tell you of a German Mechanic who can do it right but you must make an appointment and he does not speak English (Spanish and German) and he is not as cheap as Loty.
Sometimes the things you mention Power Steering and AC can be expensive, if they need new pump or compressor. If it is a PS hose those can be fabricated in Puerto Plata.
If you have an American vehicle you can order those pumps off eBay and get better quality than the Chinese knockoffs sold here. You can get original manufacture parts here but they are super high.
I got one remanufactured AC compressor here and it blew the relief seal on freon install - it was junk. Couldn't get a refund. Ordered a new one off ebay - works great and much quieter than the old one.
And I am not talking about the guy near the car wash..............that's a no go

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Konstatine,across from Sosua Ocean Village entrance,fair,honest and quick and speaks english.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Greg's garage:

Address: Calle 4, Los Castillos , Sosua 57000, Dominican Republic

Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 5PM

Phone: +1 809-571-1998
I have talked to Greg - But I was concerned because, although Greg overseas the work, he uses Dominicans to do the labor and that scares me unless they have received some real training and are closely monitored.
I would be curious what work people who have used Greg have had done and how were the results ? Please report

There is also a Russian ( a one man show) up past Hispanola and I went to talk to him. Many people speak highly of him but when I went to speak with him early one morning he seemed extremely hung over and smelled of alcohol and that tended to put me off, as it would most.
I want a mechanic who is up early and thinking and seeing clearly

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have talked to Greg - But I was concerned because, although Greg overseas the work, he uses Dominicans to do the labor and that scares me unless they have received some real training and are closely monitored.
I would be curious what work people who have used Greg have had done and how were the results ? Please report

There is also a Russian ( a one man show) up past Hispanola and I went to talk to him. Many people speak highly of him but when I went to speak with him early one morning he seemed extremely hung over and smelled of alcohol and that tended to put me off, as it would most.
I want a mechanic who is up early and thinking and seeing clearly
I have used Greg and have no complaints with his work. I think almost all gringo owned places use Dominican labour. Hence the cost should be cheaper. I think Dominicans are capable of good work if they are supervised and lose the incentive to rip the client off. Of course being English, Greg speaks English and that makes it easier to communicate problems. He is also quite content if you order your own parts so you don't get ripped off on the prices. I would still be using his services, but it's just too far away from where I am in Cabarete.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
correctamundo.. unsupervised and/or monitered dominican labour at full shop prices.

This post doesn't really offer details as to what/where/why...

Just my personal tips or rather how I prefer things:

1. Nobody other than me touches our vehicle unless I'm next to the person working on it... Who is not fine with that, I'll change the repair shop....
2. No work will be performed unless I know the price in advance...

A few weeks ago I ordered a new wheel bearing assembly (left/front) from a reputable vendor in the US and then had the mechanic who I trust the most install it, as I had difficulty finding a decent torque wrench locally and BMCargo would charge too much due to the weight... Knowing the quote already from another taller, I asked the mechanic I've used since 1.5 years now how much and instantly accepted as the price was fine... Repair shop (as far as I know) Dominican owned and all workers (obviously) Dominican. I stood next to the guy installing it, from his face I knew he was a professional and one of the good guys (yes, I think you can tell something from the face of a person)...

End result: happy with the service, will go back to that same place with anything vehicle related... So having lived here for a long time, I know that local mechanics can be shady (or much much worse) but there are good apples there as well... As with any trade here...

Reactions: JD Jones

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
I went to Loky. Watched as the work was done. Looks good, 20,000 RD. Need rack and pinion and AC repaired also 4 wheel alignment. Now I need to find a place that will clean the bottom of the engine to remove all the old dirty fluid. Any recommendations? thanks