Increasing Waist Line = Increasing Economic Well Being?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I quit to drink "refrescos" 5 month ago and since then lost 18 pounds! I did not change anything else in my eating and drinking behaviour.

I met a guy last spring who had lost close to 100 pounds in two years by replacing soda with flavored seltzer. He lost it slowly enough where he didn't get the sagging skin. Diet sodas don't work because the sweet taste fools your body into making insulin when it shouldn't. Every 100 calories a day is 10 pounds a year.

I've been taking a break from drinking so much beer and junk food and I'm dropping a couple pounds a week. It adds up.

As for baking from scratch, that's how I put on some extra pounds.

May 29, 2006
It's part diet, part metabolism and part endocrinology ~ they all act on each other. Insulin response and other hormones determines whether sugars are converted into glycogen or body fat. When it's converted into glycogen, people feel like running around and when it's converted into fat, you want to take a nap.

Humans have evolved to survive periods of famine and our systems adapt to what food goes into it. Converting extra calories into glycogen is bad if there is no food to hunt. When people try to lose weight by dramatically reducing calories, their body responds by storing fat and making them more hungry. That's why short term diets always backfire. Stress also triggers weight gain. It's not the calories that you burn exercising that really burns off pounds. It's having developed muscles that store glycogen, which would have been converted into fat.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Dominicans love there snack foods and as we all know it goes right to their butt. Just like the rest of us they are getting less physical activity and more time spent in front of the TV. Just walk 30 minutes a day and eat sensibly and you will lose weight. It is that simple. There is no big secret. Small changes in your lifestyle can make a big difference.

LTSTeve

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It's part diet, part metabolism and part endocrinology ~ they all act on each other. Insulin response and other hormones determines whether sugars are converted into glycogen or body fat. When it's converted into glycogen, people feel like running around and when it's converted into fat, you want to take a nap.

Humans have evolved to survive periods of famine and our systems adapt to what food goes into it. Converting extra calories into glycogen is bad if there is no food to hunt. When people try to lose weight by dramatically reducing calories, their body responds by storing fat and making them more hungry. That's why short term diets always backfire. Stress also triggers weight gain. It's not the calories that you burn exercising that really burns off pounds. It's having developed muscles that store glycogen, which would have been converted into fat.

Thank you DR InBrat for that explanation. The simple fact is Carbs turn into sugar and sugar to calories and calories in fat in the stomach and butt. Cut back on sugar and you will lose weight.

LTSteve

Aug 6, 2006
The general rule for most people is that weight loss is 20% exercise and 80% diet. Whatever is used for sweetener in non-diet soft drinks is empty calories that does not give a feeling of fullness, but does serve to cause fat to build up. The diet soft drinks are still not good for you, as their sweetness makes you crave more sweet stuff. Most of what I have read claims that corn syrup is more fattening than ordinary sugar. It is a more complex molecule, or group of molecules.

We evolved as hunter gatherers, with an ability to fatten up for the winter and lean times. Our lives today, in most cultures do not jibe with the way we came to be designed. If you are a Namibian Bushman or a traditional Australian aborigine, then you are unlikely to get obese. Of course, we know that the average lifespan in prehistoric times was a lot lower than what we enjoy today. According to the evolutionary process, we are genetically useless as soon as we are too old or unfit to bear and raise children.