Indian restaurant

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Well, that's probably what kept them alive and fed.... :laugh: :rolleyes: :cheeky:

Whenever I visited the "desert of good food" I mostly ate at Indian restaurants. :bunny:
I love Indian food.. Murgh Palak.... delicious

donP

And after the pub it's spot on too

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bar & Lounge

And after the pub it's spot on too

Well, for me the pub* always came after the Indian dinner... :bunny:

donP

P.S.:
Do they still have this 'classy' BAR / LOUNGE separation?? :surprised

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Well, for me the pub* always came after the Indian dinner... :bunny:

donP

P.S.:
Do they still have this 'classy' BAR / LOUNGE separation?? :surprised

Not so much these days....gone are the days of the 'spittoon' bar with sawdust in the working class areas which still existed when I first went to university in a north western port city.

Having an 'Indian; after a night out is still part of British culture but mind you if you chose a 'vindaloo' your planned kip could be interrupted with a few excursions to the bathroom!

For me a chala masala with chick pea naan is some thing to dream about....yes veggie food which would surprise hardened carnavores

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had various indian dishes in london, all equally bad. i could never quite understand the fascination with indian food.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i made BBQ beef tikka (spicy chunks of beef - filet mignon) last night. I think i made them just too spicy for my wife but robert and I eat like subhumans. Hahahaha. It was better than most restaurants I have eaten in anywhere.
AZB

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Namaste

Hola...I searched through old threads, but to no avail. Does anyone know of any indian restaurants in Santo Domingo, Santiago or the North Coast. Heck, let's just make it anywhere in DR :)

Dear friend,
The indian Restaurant Namaste will open in the first week of May in plaza el dorado, Bavaro. Am saying first week my
Time and hope it will be on time. Will keep you all posted.
Regards

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Dear Arturo,

The problem here is that there are not many indians, pakistani students. In Bavaro Punta Cana, I am the only one, another Indian Italian lives here, don't see him much and apart from the indo americans who come to all inclusive hotels. No indian embassy
or representative office of the embassy. I have checked almost all the stores in Santo Domingo and Punta Cana. I did not find the spices so for the Indian Restaurant i am opening, bringing the spices from Miami. The biggest challenge i have experienced is that dominicans are not big fans of Indian food. So it's difficult to survive in this market and that's why they don't last long. Let's
see how long i will last :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dear Arturo,

The problem here is that there are not many indians, pakistani students. In Bavaro Punta Cana, I am the only one, another Indian Italian lives here, don't see him much and apart from the indo americans who come to all inclusive hotels. No indian embassy
or representative office of the embassy. I have checked almost all the stores in Santo Domingo and Punta Cana. I did not find the spices so for the Indian Restaurant i am opening, bringing the spices from Miami. The biggest challenge i have experienced is that dominicans are not big fans of Indian food. So it's difficult to survive in this market and that's why they don't last long. Let's

India is a spice culture. the DR is the land that spice forgot. save your time and make dishes with a chicken bouillion cube and some tomato paste. that is all you need, along with a copious helping of cilantro. it works for every type of meat. heck, Dominicans would put cilantro on tiramisu. this is not a place where you will find adventurous eaters.

i wish you well.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Land of Cormorants

... The biggest challenge i have experienced is that dominicans are not big fans of Indian food. So it's difficult to survive in this market and that's why they don't last long. Let's

The average Dominican will munch away 'la bandera' at 150 pesos 365x/year, nothing to be gained from those greedy-guts.
Furthermore PC is studded with AI's, few eat and spend money outside those 'cages'.

Of course, I wish you luck... :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I do hope your next try will be in Las Terrenas.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I shall be of help!

donP

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Dear Arturo,

You will need to be selective with your menu.

Suggest you have a tandoor and a variety of kebobs.......that would be popular I suspect if moderately spiced.

Butter chicken would also go down well.

The Indian Restaurant I in mentioned in Nevis in an earlier post had to broaden it's menu to appeal to the islanders despite a core clientele of North America South Asian students.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i think an indian restaurant in bavaro will survive and probably become famous. But only if they open up a real indian restaurant. this means, having a tandoor installed in the restaurant, serve hot nans and real basmati rice plates. the earlier attempts at serving indian food in Dr had been a flop because the owners didn't have a real restaurant to begin with. their tikkas were fried on frying pan, used cheap dominican rice and made up their own spices with what was available in dominican stores.
You must bring in spices from USA and must use authentic flavors but toned down on spices. people will come and eat. I use real indian / pakistani spices from usa, basmati rice and i make my dishes from my heart, sort of my hobby to cook. My dominican / foreign friends are nuts about my cooking and they make time to eat with me even if they have to break important meeting or dates. my dominican friends in santiago are just nuts about indian pakistani food. only the really low class dominicans from barrios had trouble eating spices and hot flavor. the rest were simply crazy about it. so don't worry about the poor dominicans as they are not the ones who will be spending money at your restaurant. target the middle to upper class dominicans and foreigners. there are plenty of those to make you a rich man.
AZB

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
i think an indian restaurant in bavaro will survive and probably become famous. But only if they open up a real indian restaurant. this means, having a tandoor installed in the restaurant, serve hot nans and real basmati rice plates. the earlier attempts at serving indian food in Dr had been a flop because the owners didn't have a real restaurant to begin with. their tikkas were fried on frying pan, used cheap dominican rice and made up their own spices with what was available in dominican stores.
You must bring in spices from USA and must use authentic flavors but toned down on spices. people will come and eat. I use real indian / pakistani spices from usa, basmati rice and i make my dishes from my heart, sort of my hobby to cook. My dominican / foreign friends are nuts about my cooking and they make time to eat with me even if they have to break important meeting or dates. my dominican friends in santiago are just nuts about indian pakistani food. only the really low class dominicans from barrios had trouble eating spices and hot flavor. the rest were simply crazy about it. so don't worry about the poor dominicans as they are not the ones who will be spending money at your restaurant. target the middle to upper class dominicans and foreigners. there are plenty of those to make you a rich man.
AZB

is there an Indian restaurant in Santiago? If so, what is address?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
AZB

there is a lot of truth to what you say here. the higher classes of Dominicans have no problems with a little pepper. it is the barrio types who believe that everything is too hot. give them a milk shake and they complain about pica. secondly, tandoori chicken is something i believe anyone would like. here is an idea for you....get a Dominican to marinade a chicken in their usual seasoning, and roast it in a tandoor. that would be a hit across the entire spectrum.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I do think an Indian restaurant offering good kebabs with freshly made naan on it's menu could go down well.

We all know Chicken Tikka kebabs, but Pahadi, Rashmi, Sheek and Achari kebabs would be appealing too with any array of naans.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
AZB
History made, I liked one of your posts! I completely agree about the target market. There is a large upper middle/upper class Dominican resident population in Bavaro-Punta Cana, as well as people from the capital with weekend homes, resident foreigners, snowbird types - all strong potential customers for a good new restaurant.

When Serai was open - before its owners moved to Peru - it was no.1 on Trip Advisor for several years and had a faithful local and foreign clientele. Their only real weakness was their location. Plaza Dorada is much better.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
is there an Indian restaurant in Santiago? If so, what is address?

I was referring to my cooking at my home in santiago. Now I live in SD and do not have the backyard like I did In santiago. so no more group invites to my apartment.
AZB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was referring to my cooking at my home in santiago. Now I live in SD and do not have the backyard like I did In santiago. so no more group invites to my apartment.
AZB

I've never had Indian food, although my daughter raves about it, I think I'm afraid of the spicyness. I DO have a huge back yard, 15 tareas, so how about you coming out and cooking Indian food for a group of DR1ers one of these days??

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
.... your novias?? :laugh: :rolleyes:

donP
no sir, more like novias of expats like yourself.
fact: whenever I had expats come to my home who were not really my friends but invited by others, almost always brought super cheap barrio girls. none of them were able to eat anything that didn't resemble white rice, beans and yuca + tostones. they wouldn't even eat BBQ chicken which is made with american sweet BBQ sauce. We have always had problems with them.
AZB