Info...Immigration Canada

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
There is really only 1 thing to blame and that is all the people who have previously committed visa fraud, therefore making it all the more difficult for those who do have great spouses and truly genuine relationships to be granted a visa.

My husband told me that the day he went to pick up his visa there were more than 25 others also waiting to pick up their visas that day.

Maybe that can give us just a little insight into how many visa applications they are processing at a time...

DR1 members are just a small cross section of the number of applicants trying to get into Canada.

We are really only seeing a small sample of people being approved and denied.

I don't know if some of the immigration officers have prejudice or not but I have said before and others have said it in this thread.....this is the process you are in (right or wrong) and it will all be over before you know it...

Whatever the decision is, you will accept it and move forward with either a new life with your spouse or phase 2 of the immigration battle.

This question has been on my mind lately.....it might be personal so I don't necessarily need replies but....when you decided to get married to your spouse, did you think about what would happen if immigration said no and denied the visa? Did you have any plan b in mind? What happens if the love of your life is not allowed to come to Canada? Do you pack up and go there or give up on the marriage?

Again, don't feel you need to answer but it could be a reality (hopefully not) and I wonder how people prepare for that...especially if they have children and a great job/life already established in Canada.

In my case, I don't have anything really holding me back and at the time I didn't even have a child so if they had told us no...I would have packed up and moved to POP indefinitely. I know its not that easy for most and I can't imagine how anyone would deal with that.

Whoever wrote...love has no boundaries....obviously didn't have to deal with Haiti!!

Just some food for thought....

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Sangria - some great points as usual.

in answer to your question - before we got married my husband i researched the immigration process, what was involved and how long it would take, we also spoke to a lawyer who informed us that there are no guarentees. When deciding on where to live we chose canada because we decided better to get the hard one over with first we could always go back to the dominican - but better to be seperated now before having children than being together there and then one day wanting to come back here and having to seperate my husband from his children. However, if we didn't get through immigration then the plan was for me to move there.

On the website it said it can take up to 18 months so we look at anything faster as being a bonus. that has helped us immensely deal with the waiting... an interview at the six month mark was like woo-hoo!!!
In a lifetime - a few years is not that much - it never seems like it when you're living it - but you have to remember that not to go crazy.

STAY POSITIVE - you'll be together in the end - no matter what happens!

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
For us, we have 2 plan B's. If my husband gets denied, I will either move to Santo Domingo and appeal from there, or move to St. Lucia (where I'm from and where we actually met) and appeal from there. I will probably go first to SD and then do the visa for St. Lucia for him from there. I'm hoping it never has to come to that though but we all just have to trust that God has a plan for us.

Really great advice everyone. I've been reading all the forums and trying to keep all the advice in mind. I know the problem areas of our applications (I'm sure everyone has them) and we try to prepare for explaining or clarifying those areas. I wish everyone luck. I feel like I have been waiting forever but I know we're only at the start. It will be our 1 year anniversary in January...

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
Thanks ladies...we too have had this discussion but for me it's a bit more complicated because I already have children. That being said I am willing to do what ever it takes so my husband, my children and I can be together. Although I'm a huge believer in positive thinking and although we can't control our distiny postive thought will get you where you need to be. Kacy that is a great attitude about the 18 months in process although for me that is way too long. A lot of that though has to do with friends who have sponsored spouses from other countries who have arrived in Canada after only 6 months! What ever happens we will be together!

jojocdn

Mar 9, 2008
Making the decision was difficult for us to decide where we should start our lives together (here or there) but our oppurtunity is here and now. Plan B is definitely in the waiting just in case Plan A doesn't work out...am already preparing...the process feels very slow when you are actually going through it but it is only the beginning of challenges to come...either/which way things go...the transition of adjusting to a new culture will definitely be challenging...I would like to know from the others on here how they helped their spouse adjust to life in their new country...or how you adjusted to life in a new country...
I think we will hear something soon...should probably order the CAIPS...Hopefully there will be some useful info in them...almost hesitant as they won't necessarily help...

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
If my husband is denied we would appeal, appeal & appeal!!!!!!! If that dosen't work then we would re-apply & as I last resort me voy a vivir con mi esposo para siempre en su pais.

Jess

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Barbie38 - true - there are stories that are faster but just don't listen to them - I'm sure like us you've all been given "advice" from people who've never gone through this and they heard if you do this or that it goes faster or know this person who got here super fast... I just smile and say thanks for that but we're happy with the path we're on...the call centre told me that Haiti is one of the busiest offices in the world - that's why its longer - doesn't seem fair, I agree with that, but all great things are worth the wait!!!

Sweetkiwi - our one year anniversary is the end of november and I do hope we get to spend it together - so I know how you feel - we had resigned ourselves that our first anniversary wouldn't be together and then we got the call for an interview and now it just may be possible - so fingers crossed!!!!

jojocdn - I agree a post on tips for settling is a good idea - I have already started looking into all the what happens next plans to help my husband adjust - but only once he's here will i know what works and what doesn't. I started by talking to other immigrants about how they adjusted to canada and what I should and shouldn't do. a forum for that would be terrific. Problem is likely once people get their spouse to come they're busy with their spouse and don't have as much time to hang out with us on the computer (haha) but it would be great if they had some time to share that knowledge!

Stay busy everyone - I took up running to get through this - it clears my head, calms me down - and has done wonders for my figure (haha) and my attitude - I tell myself that I just want to look a little better every time my husband sees me - silly I know but it helps me focus my attention on something other than how long this has taken and keeps my spirits up... its good to find an outlet!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
jojocdn - I agree a post on tips for settling is a good idea - I have already started looking into all the what happens next plans to help my husband adjust
a forum for that would be terrific.

You'll find useful info for http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/42010-relocating-dominican-101-a.html

and under Dominicans abroad we have this thread called http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominicans-abroad/80514-adjusting-your-new-country.html

All written by people who have gone through the process.

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
Hi,
There is a forum already for most of the things that need to be done when your spouse gets here. Most of the posters are form Canada, and some from elsewhere. There is even a 37 page guide you can print off in spanish for your first few days in Ontario (SIN #, Health Card, Driver's Licence) You can find it on the main forum page under 'domincans abroad'. The second sticky is 'settling in your new country'. You will find all kinds of helpful info, at least I did.

Hope this helps

CAT