Information on Cabarete in October

Liz

Sep 13, 2002
Hi, I'm going to Cabarete first two weeks in October and would like any information on the resort at that time of the year. Will it still be fairly busy, is it hot in the evening, has anyone stayed at the Villa Taina - what's your opinion of it? Plus anything else that may be helpful. We would like to learn to kite surf - will the winds be suitable for beginners? What else is there to do besides watersports?
Many thanks
Liz

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have heard stories of people dying on the roof of the supermarket from Kitesurfing but that is second hand.

It is hot all day and all night the first two weeks in October. 80 in the evening and 90 + during the daytime.

Not familiar with the hotel but I was there last week and it was deadsville. Say hello to Nicki the bartender at the beach bar Hotel de Oro. He is a great guy from Bulgaria that lives in Cabarete and speaks Spanish and English along with other languages. His bar is right on a popular Kite surfing beach that people go to from all over the world.

Regards
Escott

Lucy

Jan 7, 2002
I love Cabarete in October, it will be very quiet there, not alot of tourists, great weather, the hotel you are staying in has a great location and is really, really nice!
Expect the beach to be rather empty, but the bars and restaraunts will have some action in the evening.
Try Iguana Mama for some great bike trips, the half day downhill is good if you are not an experienced cyclist. Also, if you have never tried surfing, take a lesson at ecuentro beach, is great fun.
have a good time!

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
kitesurfing

First...no dead person on a roof of a supermarket and no deaths in cabarete related to kitesurfing... several lofting incidents have occured but that's it....

RE: Taina, very nice hotel, conveniently located on Bozo Beach. Bozo is not a good beach for beginners.. it has bigger shorebreak, waves and chop and can also be quite gust and holey because the wind isn't clean in this part of the bay except when conditions are onshore. If bozo is too much for you, go upwind to the next bay. Kite Beach is usually kinder to beginners. If you need lessons, rental or supervision contact me at Kitexcite and we will try and help you.

Marina
Kitexcite

Lucy

Jan 7, 2002
marina,
You must be thinking of another hotel, Villa Taina is right in the middle of the bay! Great swimming right in front! if you look at a map you will see it is beside Palm Beach Condos.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
Cabarete

Hi Lucy,

I help run a kitesurfing school in Cabarete so for kitesurfing, you have to go downwind past the last windsurfing school (Happy station/Estrella del mar Hotel) to go kitesurfing. This area is known as bozo beach because it is where the windsurfers would end up before they could go upwind. This area can have bigger shorebreak, choppy water and sometimes holey wind but only on the inside because launch is in a wind shadow during typical conditions (side onshore). Once you go out about 100 meters or so, conditions are quite good. It is also a good alternative to Kite BEach when it gets crowded.

Marina

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
kitesurfing sounds fun, may have to try that when up next up that way.

Not sure what your into Liz, but the Groove Break Festival will be on while your in Cabarete, details below.

Dominican Republic's first Electronic Festival. October 10-14, 2002, Puerto Plata region (Puerto Plata, Playa Dorada, Sosua, Cabarete and Cofresi). This is where it all began, join us in celebrating our origins as October 12th is the Day that Christopher Columbus landed in the new world, namely the Dominican Republic.

Groove Break

Lucy

Jan 7, 2002
hi marina!
Have never really thought of Villa Taina as bozo beach area, i guess because it is usually always swimmable there, bozo being more in the olas de oro part of the beach!
i will be in Cabarete for the 22nd time at Christmas, ooh lala, perhaps if i have the nerve i will try a lesson, Franz Orly keeps trying to convince me, but i think first a swimming lesson might be in order! I am counting down the days already!
See you on the beach!

Liz

Sep 13, 2002
Thanks everyone for all the info- one last question is there cell phone coverage in Cabarete as my provider is telling me there's not.
Hi Robert,
Looks like it won't be too quiet afterall! Is it cheaper to pre-book tickets for the Groove Break at $50 or buy tickets when we get there?
Thanks again
Liz