Initial Permanent Residency Backlog?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A friend of mine is applying for his initial permanent residency. He already has his residency visa and took the required medical exam in July. He is still waiting for an appointment to go the DGM in SD and complete the process.

His lawyer is telling him that there is a huge initial residency backlog and that is why it is taking so long. Anyone here having the same problem or know of anyone who is?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
A friend of mine is applying for his initial permanent residency. He already has his residency visa and took the required medical exam in July. He is still waiting for an appointment to go the DGM in SD and complete the process.

His lawyer is telling him that there is a huge initial residency backlog and that is why it is taking so long. Anyone here having the same problem or know of anyone who is?

Not to sure what " initial permanent residency " is........
I have just done the internet thingy for permanent residency yesterday, after a bunch of temporal residencies......
Will let you know what happens.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I suspect "initial" in this case means the very first application for residency, not a renewal or change of status. That has always taken a long time.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Has he look at his mail on the website migracion?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I suspect "initial" in this case means the very first application for residency, not a renewal or change of status. That has always taken a long time.

RESIDENCIA TEMPORAL (RT-9) is what it is called. That translates to TEMPORARY RESIDENCE (RT-9). Yes, it always takes a while to get this first form of Dominican Residency. Took almost a year for me back in 2002.

Migracion gets a 2.5 star rating. That is 2 stars higher than I would give them.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/25

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I think the reference to initial permanent residency is because Dominican Immigration does not know what the word "permanent" means. When you finally after 5 years of temp residency, get permanent (but here's the kicker) its only valid for one year as well, hence the "initial perm res" lol. I suspect eventually permanent will only be valid for one year so the can continue to cash grab the gringo yearly!.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think the reference to initial permanent residency is because Dominican Immigration does not know what the word "permanent" means. When you finally after 5 years of temp residency, get permanent (but here's the kicker) its only valid for one year as well, hence the "initial perm res" lol. I suspect eventually permanent will only be valid for one year so the can continue to cash grab the gringo yearly!.

Their idea of permanent residency is a joke, but my friend qualified to apply for "permanent residency" right from the get go - not "temporary residency". He does not have to renew every year for 4 years like a "temporary resident" before applying to be a "permanent resident".

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
after 5 years of temp residency we just applied for our first permanent. we were told by our lawyer it will take a long time , not sure why ! what bothers me is we had to turn in our temp card and cedula, so now with no id other than driver license......So far the bank took that as id but if it takes months ???????

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I have just arrived with a 60 Day Temporary VISA under Category ''RS'' .... I have qualified under the Pensions Application.
However I have no idea where to go to continue the process of Residency next week.
Any suggestions?

Russell

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No, he qualified to apply for permanent residency.

I have never heard of anyone qualifying for Residencia Permanente without going through the process of Residencia Temporal. How did that happen? First I have heard of anyone in that "category".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have just arrived with a 60 Day Temporary VISA under Category ''RS'' .... I have qualified under the Pensions Application.
However I have no idea where to go to continue the process of Residency next week.
Any suggestions?

Russell

I would start with the Migracion Department in Santo Domingo.

Feb 7, 2007
I have never heard of anyone qualifying for Residencia Permanente without going through the process of Residencia Temporal. How did that happen? First I have heard of anyone in that "category".

I do, it can be done, the person's I know did it in Rentista category.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

You just need to be a retiree with a pension over a certain amount - can't remember how much(?). I remember seeing it on the DGM website somewhere. I'll try to find it.

Feb 7, 2007
after 5 years of temp residency we just applied for our first permanent. we were told by our lawyer it will take a long time , not sure why ! what bothers me is we had to turn in our temp card and cedula, so now with no id other than driver license......So far the bank took that as id but if it takes months ???????

Last year it took me 5 months with a lawyer known well by many here. She took a good care of the case and I had a copy of the filed paperwork. I know I still had cédula (not sure why you would turn in cédula as migración only wants to see it but does not keep it) and I was banking those 5 months with expired cédula and the copy of filed paperwork (sheet stamped by DGM). Never had problem this way, it was in BHD and in Santa Cruz.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I understand things have changed regarding getting Residencia Permanente right off the bat, as we say in the USA. As usual, money talks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The rentista and Pension categories have always been that way, I think

One of our esteemed members came in that way.... many perhaps did

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The rentista and Pension categories have always been that way, I think

One of our esteemed members came in that way.... many perhaps did

Probably so, I just never investigated that method since I did it so long ago. It is certainly a better way to go if possible.