injections

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
cracks in slabs...

Sounds like the houses may be about like my barn here! I will do something about the mosquitos for sure! I hate them here but they do not bother me much..My son is a walking ITCH sometimes! Good info.:) Pam

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
goatfarmnga

The standard design for houses in the campo is:

1) A concrete slab base.

2) Block walls extending about 3 feet upwards, with palm slabs after that. Some of the more upscale houses use fitted boards instead of slabs, but they're in the minority.

3) The windows are actually shutters - no glass.

4) Either a zinc or thatched roof. Either way, there is no ceiling, and a large gap exists between the top of the walls and the roof. That gap could be screened with a little work.

5) There is a small front porch.

6) No Dominicans' houses have screen doors, and even at the main Ochoa hardware store they don't know what a screen door is. Therefore, the doors have to be kept closed to mosquito proof the house. (I actually drew up my own design for screen doors and had a carpenter build them for me.)

This same design is often encountered in cities in the poorer barrios, as well. Others may be better, but many are worse.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
No glass in windows....:(

I lived on the Island of Guam and they had the shutter type windows on some homes..anything for a breeze I guess! I will have to work on that..I like Glass windows and a screen door.. I may end up like you ..custom made..I am in for some culture shock I m sure! :) Pam

stormrainbow

Aug 2, 2003
Hi all

Just like to thank you all for your postings and to all the advice, I got to say you have been great and your advice has been helpful!

Cant wait to see this wonderful place, maybe we can all have a drink together, lol!! Some party, lol.

Emma