Installation of satellite tv ??? Help please

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dish Sizes

If you use two small dishes like the ones sky uses with an sw31 switch you can use on dish to pull in your regular channels and one for the HD channels on DISH network.

A sufficient signal from sat 110 can be received with a 80cm dish, the transponders are quite strong.
In some northern locations 120cm may be needed.

Sat 119 and Anik F3 (on 118) require a 180cm dish.

We get all 3 satellites with good signals from one 6-footer.

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you use two small dishes like the ones sky uses with an sw31 switch you can use on dish to pull in your regular channels and one for the HD channels on DISH network.

What satellite and provider are you talking about for HD channels?

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Does anyone know if the Direct TV or Dish boxes work from the south coast [San Cristobal area]?

We had Sky for 18 months and just cancelled it and returned their box. They left the dish [they said we paid for it?] on the roof.
Was thinking about trying Viva prepago for the months we are there, or buying one of those satellite setups like the OP is describing - but after reading this thread I don't think we want that. I remember the poster Skynet loved his though, is it really under $100USD a year after buying the equipment?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Service by "donation"

Does anyone know if the Direct TV or Dish boxes work from the south coast [San Cristobal area]?

You do not need an original DISH box.
Many people here use an FTA receiver (I recommend CaptiveWorks 800 or NFusion Solaris) and a (pirated) subscription ("donation").
With that you'll get more than 300 channels...
The service can be had for much less than 100 USD/year, depending where you get it from...

Oh, an internet access is also needed, but it need not be a fast one.

I can help.

donP

Last edited:

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Slightly off topic. With a legitimate dish subscription in the USA, can you bring down a receiver with you while vacationing to the DR? If yes can someone recommend a dish installer in Santiago.

Yes, Luperon, this can be done. In fact, we 'rent' a second receiver from Dish and leave it here for our half-year stays.
Can't recommend anyone in Santiago, but use a top-notch guy in PP.
PM me, if I can be of further help.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

We had Sky for 18 months and just cancelled it and returned their box. They left the dish [they said we paid for it?] on the roof.
Was thinking about trying Viva prepago for the months we are there, or buying one of those satellite setups like the OP is describing - but after reading this thread I don't think we want that. I remember the poster Skynet loved his though, is it really under $100USD a year after buying the equipment?

Or you could go with IPTV if your internet is fast enough. Same "provider", ahem, as donP mentions, just no dish required, only an IPTV box.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Android Box

Or you could go with IPTV if your internet is fast enough. Same "provider", ahem, as donP mentions, just no dish required, only an IPTV box.

We recently bought such an Android box (about 60 USD) and there are a good number of apps.
Some have free German TV channels... :rambo:

Unfortunately we got a lot of freezing and even when we had a 'window' of 12 Mb/sec. DL it would freeze.
Some apps are better than others, though.

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We recently bought such an Android box (about 60 USD) and there are a good number of apps.
Some have free German TV channels... :rambo:

Unfortunately we got a lot of freezing and even when we had a 'window' of 12 Mb/sec. DL it would freeze.
Some apps are better than others, though.

donP

With a download speed of 5 Mbits/s, my IPTV box works well when the system is not being "adjusted" by the "provider".