Insulin. How does it work here for gringo with diabetes?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
It took me a lot of phone calls to find a dentist here who wanted to do some repair work + crowns on some teeth of mine under insurance coverage, I wonder how that comes.

LittleBird

Jul 8, 2011
For cryin out loud, why would you think some other country should take care of you if you move there? If you can afford to get to the Dominican Republic, you can afford to buy your own meds. Leave the free meds for poor people who can't afford to buy their own and maybe donate some yourself! I know poor dominicans who buy blood pressure pills one at a time and go without when they don't have the money to get them or money to get to the hospital pharmacy by taxi or concho.

Gosh, this is why I have been lurking and not asking my questions. Let me point out that some countries have a national health system. It is not a handout, everyone pays via taxes for it. So yes indeed medications are "free" so to speak. The woman asked about purchasing costs of medication in DomRep. That is offensive to you how? She asked about purchasing health insurance. A sensible question and in no way asking for a handout. When I was about to visit Belize for a number of months. I asked about the cost of my medications vs purchasing them there... NO one trashed me for it, but gave me sound advice.
LB

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Gosh, this is why I have been lurking and not asking my questions. Let me point out that some countries have a national health system. It is not a handout, everyone pays via taxes for it. So yes indeed medications are "free" so to speak. The woman asked about purchasing costs of medication in DomRep. That is offensive to you how? She asked about purchasing health insurance. A sensible question and in no way asking for a handout. When I was about to visit Belize for a number of months. I asked about the cost of my medications vs purchasing them there... NO one trashed me for it, but gave me sound advice.
LB

I think the OP got a few very descent answers and a few very stupid ones.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Chiri has it right. ALL pre existing conditions will not be covered. IF you think your fathers years of diabetes does not leave any signs you are mistaken. Almost all coverage has a mandatory waiting time for non emergency or non accident surgeries. Some are 6 months and some are a year depending on the condition you have.

And FRAUD is FRAUD no matter where you are. Trying to defraud a Dominican insurance company is NOT OK. Having a condition or being diagnosed with a condition that you honestly did not know about is one thing - covering up and lying are FRAUD.

There you are. With Monumental you do not have a medical examination under 50, but you have to fill out a form regarding your health and pre-existing conditions. Of course you can lie, but to which use. In most cases it will be discovered anyways, and as DMV says very correctly "it is fraud".

As far as I remember the first 6 months only emergencies were covered. Dental kicked in after 6 months, and major operations (unless an emergency) after 1 year.

If everybody was honest, the prices could stay low enough so more people could afford health insurance over here.

LittleBird

Jul 8, 2011
Well maybe that's what's wrong with Europe. Like I said, everything is an existing condition until it is discovered. I could have my Blood Sugar checked tomorrow and could be told that I have Diabetes. I could've had the Diabetes since childhood but it was never checked. Is my insurance going to deny me coverage? Hell no, that would be stupid. I could have my insurance for 2 months and then have it discovered that I have a tumor the size of a grapefruit on my ovaries. The way you tell it the insurance company could deny me whether I knew about the tumor or not, not in my country.....maybe in yours. But a tumor the size of a grapefruit? Pre-existing. Tumors just don't "pop" up that size. Are you saying that in Europe you have to have perfect health to get health insurance? O
If so, I feel sorry for you Europeans. But the reason it sounds a little crazy is because
- I could have Diabetes and not know it
- I could have Cancer and not know it
- I could have Osteoporosis and not know it
- I could have Infertility issues and not know it
Etc.....

Technically, these are all pre-existing conditions as they existed in my body whether I knew about them or not. But I am still covered if they are "discovered" after I start my insurance. You Europeans really should lobby if you can't get coverage for newly diagnosed conditions

SHALENA

In the US the criteria is IF a doc has not ever _officially_ diagnosed you with X. Until then it is not preexisting.
My policy states that preexisting condition X and Y, I must wait 12-18 mos (depends on which condition they are talking about) to get treatment for that condition. I have known for yrs I am pre diabetic, but was not officially diagnosed with such until May of 2011 as being prediabetic. Therefore it was not a preexisting condition. The key is in the documentation.

Jessica, good on you for thinking ahead. Is it possible for your father to arrange to have his meds sent to you in DR from the Ukraine? Perhaps a family member could pick them up and mail them to you? Please be sure, should you move, to have a physicians letter with you regarding his diabetes. It makes it easier to get the needles past the customs guys.
LB

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
A lie is a lie. According to JessicaRabbit "So how they will know he already had it since he was 12? What if i get him insurance but will not tell he has diabetes... It wont work still? " That is fraud, pure and simple. People who have no conscience help increase the cost to all of us.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
What's wrong with this picture?

"Act like you never knew a thing
"Diabetes?!? Are you sure doctor???"
Have him get enough medicine for 6 weeks, get his insurance as soon as he gets there, make him an appointment for 3 weeks after his arrival for a "yearly checkup" where your dad can conveniently say he has been very thirsty, peeing a lot, and very fatigued and irritable.
The doc should check his blood sugar and maybe even order a hemoglobin A1c.
Make sure your Dad does not take his insulin before the doctor's appt. (unless it may be detrimental)

SHALENA"

I can't be the only one who feels this is wrong!

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
A lie is a lie. According to JessicaRabbit "So how they will know he already had it since he was 12? What if i get him insurance but will not tell he has diabetes... It wont work still? " That is fraud, pure and simple. People who have no conscience help increase the cost to all of us.

Actually I think that the cost is increased by Dominican doctors who will do surgery on you using someone else's x-rays. The docs that tell people without ant medical knowledge that they need x, y, and z done when they don't.
You've been waiting on anything to be able to jump on this girl.
Just watch out for who might be waiting on you

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
What's wrong with this picture?

"Act like you never knew a thing
"Diabetes?!? Are you sure doctor???"
Have him get enough medicine for 6 weeks, get his insurance as soon as he gets there, make him an appointment for 3 weeks after his arrival for a "yearly checkup" where your dad can conveniently say he has been very thirsty, peeing a lot, and very fatigued and irritable.
The doc should check his blood sugar and maybe even order a hemoglobin A1c.
Make sure your Dad does not take his insulin before the doctor's appt. (unless it may be detrimental)

SHALENA"

I can't be the only one who feels this is wrong!

Oh please, Saint Mother Maria (rolling eyes)

SHALENA

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Is it any surprise to the genuine, honest folks that would not dream of trying to commit 'health fraud' of all things, when it so important to life and happiness, that the insurance companies are so thorough and persnickity about checking what they should and should not be funding when someone needs medical attention?

Incredible that this is even being discussed as to whether it is right or wrong.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i called ars universal: if the health problem has been declared at the moment of the purchase of the insurance they will cover nothing - not only the medicine but also nothing related to the disease. with diabetes it sucks big time because of complications, insurance would not even cover amputation of legs.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
W/B,your right!,when insurance companies dont pay when they should...not a criminal act. kind of When you lie to police is a criminal act but when police lies to you, is ok.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
so some of you guys think it is ok to fraud the insurance companies. I need a roothcanal and a crown which will cost me 25,000 rds, so let me get some insurance which costs me a 1,000 per month and which will pay half of my roothcanal.

You honestly think those guys are idiots? They run a business, and they run it to make money. They are not national health insurance, they are private. When they write a 1,000 policies, they hope to have to pay out on 100 of them, and in the end hope to make a decent profit. If they do not, they will raise their prices. This is a simple business matter.

And yes, they do check claims and sometimes very, or even too thoroughly... and why? BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE TRY TO FRAUD THEM!!!!

I can understand Jessicarabbit's problem, but there must be a way around it. If he is covered by his insurance in the Ukraine, talk to them, and see what they can do. Or whatever...