International calling options in the DR

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
NO contract , it's month to month

that is prepaid services, but also viva has plans with not contract that goes month to month, you can cancell whenever you want and also 12 months contract, the price per minute drop more if you get a contract, so as you are not living here so you only can apply for month to month contract.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have a Magic Jack, but I don't use it anymore since I can call using Google Voice to the US an Canada for free.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Set up google phone account while in the USA. If you have internet here you can call from your Google phone account to USA for free.

justinkemp99

Oct 11, 2013
Any calling card and phone might work, as in most cases, the fee for calling the U.S. is the same as for completing a local telephone call. Without reliable internet, your cell phone is your best option. Try looking at what data plans your provider offers and see if there are any conference or calling features that may help you in this situation. You can also look at what options are available for international calls with Uberconference, a reliable communications provider.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
From my experience, the most inexpensive way to call US is to get an unlocked smartphone that operates on the cellular frequencies offered by the local carrier and use voice over IP from Google Voice. In order to get Google Voice to work with your smartphone, you would need a voice over IP app like Talkatone, which is also free.

There are two phones that I can personally confirm that they work with Orange Dominicana; HTC Sensation 4G and HTC Desire S.

As mentioned, purchase a SIM from Orange and a Paquetico of your choice depending on your calling needs. I know Orange Dominicana sells a 700 MB 7-day Paquetico for RD$250http://www.orange.com.do/web/servicios/paqueticos-orange, which should be plenty for just VoIP calls.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
I bought a cheap lar simcard and put in my old samsung and I prepay minutes with claro and call home on it and its dirt cheap for me. We email and use ipads with itext to most family and friends. The claro cell phone gives great clarity and cnnections....my magic jack will not work as the wifi sucks in all the different cndo locations I have rented in the past few years hell I cant even use my netflix .......sigh.