Internet Access in the DR

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
High speed internet is something you can consider a luxury item in the DR. Just like Ipods, big HDTVs, Central AC, SUVs, McDonnalds, these are not cheap commodities for the masses here but sold at a premium price, usually double. And beware if you do any business and they see your Casa de Campo address, then make that 4x instead of double.

You are right about that if they see tha you lived in Casa de Campo somehow prices doubled!!! Ummmm!!! I understand that i cannot expect the same living standards as i due in Puerto rico or the U.S but what i am saying is a general ruled of business versus demand. If a Business offers you a car for tranportation and gives you a donkey for a price of a car you or any dominican should not be obligated to pay or stand for level of service. My freind one thing is fluntioations and technical glitches but when you lie to a customer Knowingly that what you are offering is not even near what they are getting that is called FRAUD!!!!!!! anywere in the world

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
that is called FRAUD!!!!!!! anywere in the world

The reason "it works" here business-wise is that Dominicans are used to this type of Fraud. No hay luz, no hay agua, no hay gasolina, no hay cerveza, no hay internet... pero la factura lega todo mes.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
The reason "it works" here business-wise is that Dominicans are used to this type of Fraud. No hay luz, no hay agua, no hay gasolina, no hay cerveza, no hay internet... pero la factura lega todo mes.

But 2 things wrong dont make it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
I now have Hughes internet or Direcway very expensive it uses a small to medium dish depends how the signal is in your area and i am getting 1.5-2.5mb Download and uploads of almost 949 KPHS now for the incredible price of 129.99 a month now you must invest in the equipment and dish it is an average of $2,500 U.S dollars and i shop around!.

I don't know where you got that, but it is not in the HN/DW packages i can find
The best guess is the $520/month package that are conform those specs
see: Broadband Internet Direcway Satellite Internet Ground Control.com

But i am always very interested as a good shopper got a better price than i do.

A.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A little technical stuff about DSL - simplistic

DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line. What this means, is that your internet data from your computer to the Verizon nearest central office switch, runs through the normal telephone lines. Now, most people know this, but there are three things that affect speeds: The quality of the lines, the congestion on that specific segment, and distance from the central office which is where the internet switches live (of course also the equipment in the central office, but none of us can do anything about this).

So, in terms of quality of lines, we've all seen the quality of verizon's work, which is perhaps not always the best. There are standards in line condition for data use, and I've never seen these standards adhered to in the DR. So, if you're a little away from the Central Office, and the telephone lines between them and you are of a bad quality, you can expect to receive a much lower up/down speed than promised.

What actually happens is that the internet switch in the central office measures the error rate and quality of your signal periodically. If it is not up to standard, they reduce your allocated speed and test again .... and so on until they get to a speed that meets the standard - and there they leave you. So that is one reason why you might not get your full speed. The max distance between you and your central office for DSL is 5 km technically but any distance more than 2 or 3 km is a push in the DR based on the poor quality of the line infrastructure.

There are two things you can do - ask the Verizon Tech to test the line for data transmission. What they need to do, is to put a meter on the line, and check for the quality of the data signal coming through. If this is poor, there is a thing called line conditioning, which is a process the tech goes through to ensure that the line is in the proper condition to handle data - this means they have to fix the darn thing!. (The techs won't like you for asking these questions and asking for these services.)

Congestion - this is simply where there are too many users on that particular DSL pipe or channel. Since this is shared bandwidth, the more users, the less bandwidth per user. If your lines are of good quality and you still have poor speeds, like one quarter of what you've contracted for, Verizon needs to make more DSL capacity available. In this case you're sol and the only thing you can do, is to complain consistently, until they increase capacity.

Hope this helps somebody somewhere. BTW, Central Office is not the Verizon Office where you pay your bills. It is the physical building where the telephone switching equipment is located for your town or area.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line
So, in terms of quality of lines, we've all seen the quality of verizon's work, which is perhaps not always the best.
AKA Dominican Slow Line

The max distance between you and your central office for DSL is 5 km technically but any distance more than 2 or 3 km is a push in the DR based on the poor quality of the line infrastructure.
This means Cable Length !
And not the physical distance between your connection and a verizon hub.

There are two things you can do - ask the Verizon Tech to test the line for data transmission. What they need to do, is to put a meter on the line, and check for the quality of the data signal coming through. If this is poor, there is a thing called line conditioning, which is a process the tech goes through to ensure that the line is in the proper condition to handle data - this means they have to fix the darn thing!. (The techs won't like you for asking these questions and asking for these services.)
They won't like you at all, and will try to avoid this test (no tester - manana)
Because such a test shows the real quality, and not something written by someone without any proper knowledge.

Congestion - this is simply where there are too many users on that particular DSL pipe or channel. Since this is shared bandwidth, the more users, the less bandwidth per user.

1 (ONE) user with a dirty pc (mostly windows), full with filesharing (p2p, like limewire-kazaa-imesh-etc) and/or virusses and/or compromised and/or spammer, will kill the fun for all the other users on the same channel.
Just because that ONE user will take over the complete digital channel.
And since verizon IS infected (they don't care), love spammers (they pay a load of money to send their garbage), speeds can vary or just die.
(Centennial is an infected system as well, thats why their email services are regulary blocked around the world)
For both providers, an emailaccount OUTSIDE the DR is advisable

If your lines are of good quality and you still have poor speeds, like one quarter of what you've contracted for, Verizon needs to make more DSL capacity available. In this case you're sol and the only thing you can do, is to complain consistently, until they increase capacity.
Won't always happen. Reason: see above

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Band width etc

Not being able to participate intelligently in this techie conversation, the only question this push/pull and hope it works person has, will these speeds support VOIP.... have to be able to chat a couple of ways, thanks

C

Chip00

Verizon

I have the Verizon Internet Flash 1536 a 736 kbps. I pay RD2850 excl. taxes and the speed is usually pretty good - today it checked at 1.3M down and 530 up.

I use it for my statesides VOIP phone and fax service and has done very well the last 9 mos.

A couple things to remember:

1. It is very important for the service quality to be good to have a "box" for lack of a better term close to your house. If there isn't one close by it could possibly be negotiated directly with an Engineer at Verizon to have it put in - ask around but don't ask Verizon - expect to pay a tip of RD5k or more to make this happen.

2. If you don't have a credit history they will not give you internet - you will have to have a neighbor or family do it for you. I did that here in Santiago and it wasn't a problem that my sister in law lives more that 5 miles from me.

Good luck