Internet Speed in DR - In which part of the island a stable connection can be found?

What is your internet speed in DR?

• Total voters

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Here in Bavaro, Claro seems to be the way to go. Seldom has there been a signal disruption. Speed is decent. I can have 4 people all streaming whatever, and not have a slowdown. The speed test was done upstairs, a fair distance from the source. 39.54/5.89

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In Bavaro make sure you are in an area that has Fiber Optic. Not available everywhere.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Telecable Internacional, fiber optic 1Gbps down /100 Mbps up, 5400 pesos taxes included. Includes HDTV cable.
Where indeed is this? Never once heard of Telecable Internacional.

There is one and only one physical fiber connection option where I live in Cabarete and that is Cable Del NorteS.R.L
Speed today is 22.12 mbps down and 10.83 mbps up. I think they still offer cable modem service, but that was constantly needing a repair while the fiber is more reliable. Occasionally the central goes down even with fiber. CLARO is clueless about fiber where I live. Less than clueless, actually.

Faster speeds are available, but I already pay more for 20 mbits than what gigabit speeds cost in the US.

Jun 25, 2021
Santiago
www.RobInTheDR.com
My experience as been that Santiago has by far and away the best internet in the Dominican Republic. In Sosua and Puerto Plata, for the life of me, I have never stayed in an apartment or Airbnb that had acceptable internet. If you live in a select few neighborhoods within Santiago De Los Caballeros you will be able to get reliable fibre optic cable to your home with speeds very comparable to the many mid-sized American cities. You can look at the maps I have created, and Claro's list of neighborhoods in santiago at this link here.

I have to have strong internet for video conferences: I am a full-time remote worker. Santo Domingo was a nightmare for both internet quality and power outages.

This neighborhood here in the video below has very very good internet for the DR (it is in Santiago):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Just did a speed test here in Santiago.
41.2 down
21.4 up
Not bad.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm in San Cristobal with an Altice 100Mbps fiber-optic connection. It gives me consistent 90+ Mbps speeds with a 1-2 ms ping and upload speed of 20-25 Mbps.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Near POP city center, we just migrated to Claro fibra optica this past week... We have currently 40/20 plan but plan to upgrade to 100/50... As per Claro, both are feasible here... After being with ADSL with 20/2, it's like another world...