Inversores

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Be Careful!

New batteries right now are anywhere from $2200-$2500 pesos.

A $1500 peso battery is most likely very used and I wouldn't recommend it. $3500 is a bit high unless there's a really good gurantee. Normally these batteries should last five years. Down here it averages about two years though it seems. That's partly due to the fact that the batteries are imported here dry and then the receiving companies locally add water and acid. Often times they do not get the mix right unfortunately, or even purposefully water it down to stretch the acid supply they have on hand. The result being a degraded battery life.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I had two batteries die on me this week (melted posts probably due to heat from a corroded cable). I plan on running with the six I have left for a week or so then I am redoing my whole systems and plan on buying twelve new batteries (mine are about 2-1/2 years old).

So MrMike, three questions for the expert.
  1. Where can I get a battery tester kit to make sure that the acid and water levels are properly maintained in the new batteries? I want to add that little chore to the Xanadu staff's duties to make sure the batteries are always well maintained.
  2. Any other suggestions for proper maintenance of the system? Like once a week clean the posts, once a month do an equalization charge, etc.? If you could provide a maintenance schedule or list I could give to my guys that'd be wonderful!
  3. If I pick up an ammeter to measure the charging rate of my batteries, what should I adjust it to? How do I know it's set optimally and not so fast that it'll degrade my batteries?[/list=1]
    Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I haven't been working with inverters for very long, so I'm not quite an expert on these things yet, what I've been able to put together so far is the following:

Most battery chargers charge the batteries to about 80 or 90 percent capacity before they start to reduce the charging rate in order to preserve the life of the battery by not over-charging it. This seems to be no great engineering feat and is pretty much standard.

Basically the faster you charge your batteries the less total lifespan you will get out of them, but under the conditions in this country, there isn't much choice and I think it would be wise for people to plan on changing batteries every 3 years or so. You either baby your batteries or really use them, so I think most will opt to use them. The EDE's are generally not cooperative when it comes to making time to perform maintenance charges anyway.

I believe this is why the larger Trace inverters allow you to specify the size of your battery bank, so the charger will know when to reduce it's output amperage. Some of these inverters are capable of delivering a charge of 100 amps, which when applied to a fully charged battery could cause some damage.

If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere that you were using a Trace inverter, I'm guessing it's a DR3624 or a DR2424? You have 12 batteries so if indeed it is a 24 volt input inverter and your batteries are 225 amp hour batteries (as would be the case with Trojan T105's) then the size of your battery bank is 225 x 3, (3 sets of 4 batteries wired in parallel) or 675 amp hours. The Trace 3624 and 2424 have a dial on the side which allows you to specify this and thus the charger will back off and lower the charging rate once the battery bank gets to be about 80 percent charged.

I am sorry I don't have any information about the fill levels, I have techs that take care of that and I haven't had to get involved yet.

The batteries I am using now are US Batteries model # US2200. (I receive them wet, not dry) these weigh about 5 more pounds per unit than Trojan T105's, claim the same capacity and also claim that at lower discharge rates they will last longer than Trojan. (up to twice as long at discharge rates of around 2-3 amps) I haven't been using them long enough to tell whether they are as good as the makers claim, but all my experiences so far have been positive and they seem to compare to Trojans fairly favorably.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
If you are powering electrical equipment you care about (good TV's, computers, etc), then there's only one answer - a trace inverter. Yes, you can save money by purchasing a locally built inverter. But electricity is like blood for your equipment, and you probably don't want second rate blood. :)

Trace willl cost you US $1000 to get going including batteries. You can do it a bit cheaper by finding an installer yourself and buying the parts from Bellon directly.

If you're just running some lights, fans and an old TV, then get one of the local ones, you'll save some money and do fine.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Merged Threads.

I split the Longest Black-outs in Santiago
Thread, and merged the balance of it with this one.

I'm going to add it to the
Popular Post's / Past Sticky's. Required reading for Newbies!!! NEW! NEW! NEW!
under Power Info

Along side a post that was started for generators.

It's got alot of good info.

A big Thanks to
MrMike
Peter & Alex
Adrianb
Bolt

Thanks
Tim H.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey there Mike,
I am after a 3.6 Kw with 8 batteries (Trojan I prefer if you can get them) delivered & fitted into a friends house in Puerto Plata sometime around 1st week December.

Drop me a PM asap to confirm a price please & I will give you the go ahead. MUST get down to see you within the next couple of weeks to get that Windows problem sorted!! Everything else seems to be working fine & NOT having the updates doesn't appear to be causing any crashes or hardships, .. BUT ...........

Hope to hear within a week on the price - Grahame.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Trace is the only answer?

I have seen so many other brand names...I would like to hear about others. Surely there are others out there that work well.

I want to run two fans and lights for a two bedroom apartment, also a TV. What do I need...what will do the job.

Trojan batteries...are they the best...

Anyone wishing to share their experiences about different brand inversores and batteries...please let me know...

Thanks.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have the TRACE 3.6 KW with 8 Trojan batteries.

Going on 8 years for the inverter,and on my second set of batteries.I have never done anything more than add water,and keep the terminals clean.I failed to clean the terminals clean from time to time,and paid the price! Burned out the battery cables,and killed the batteries too! I recommend using # 8 wire for the cables.They are about 1/2 in. in diameter!

I run one refridgerator now,and have run 2 inthe past.Lots of TVs and fans too!
I have the advantage of a large "Planta" to fully charge the batteries when there is little "Street Power,Like Now!! I have to add water about once a week during these conditions.
Trojans were at 2,600 pesos at "plaza Lama" last week.I am shoping as I think my batteries are getting older now,going on 4 years.
ccc

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Great thread

This thread has some excellent information for those wanting to install a backup system. I remember when Trace started the DR model, and was told it stands for the Dominican Republic. Such a large market in the DR. When using solar or wind energy, everything is the same except for the power source. Istead of paying a monthly bill, you can invest in 20 years of energy production. Most are not in a position to do this. The Trace units are considered the best but have known many locally qualified technicians that put together very good units at 50-75% of the cost of a Trace unit. There is always that risk. The 6v Trogans are also considered the best and price vary depending or where you buy them. In 99 they ranged from $800-1300 pesos depending on the seller. Looks like they are double that now or more. Any car battery would work, but the golf cart or 6v batteries are a better investment over time. (reason posted earlier). I would also recommend you place your battery bank in a well ventilated area away from you people spend most of their time. There is some gasing and I was always concerned about the lead. The manufactures claim there is now danger but we whould be charging 20 or 30 batteries to take them back out to the campo to reconnect them to solar systems, and the air was thick and it burned your throat and sinuses.

Tom F.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have no complaints with my Trace Unit

We also have a Trace 3.6 Kw. model going on now 4 years, I just had to replace the Trace Batteries they were cooked I guess.
To my surprise my local Trace Dealer also recommended the Trojan Batteries......I said I don't know! they make a great Condom!
Anyway he said if I bought all 12 Batteries I needed he would give me a deal @ RD. $2500 Each. Ok so now I thought how do I keep the dam things charged up with the current power situation.
A friend of mine told me he saw a store in Puerto Plata that was selling Coleman Generators 6500 Gas 6.5Kw for US $1000.00 each, These Generators have a Honda engine so I bought one got it home charged up my new condoms err Batteries...It was great started on first pull, what I did not relize was this thing sounded like a Shermen Tank. The Electrication who wired my Generator to our house brought with him a guy who makes mufflers....So for another RD $3500 I get a custom muffler fitted.
I think we have all of the angles coverd now unless they stop selling Gas.

I also recommend a Trace Inverter (You get what you pay for)

Gringo

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
How well does the muffler work?

My generator is "semi silenciouso", but the neighbours would probably not agree with that.

If I can make it quieter for RD $3500, I'm up for it. I'm in Santiago.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
adrianb said:
How well does the muffler work?

My generator is "semi silenciouso", but the neighbours would probably not agree with that.

If I can make it quieter for RD $3500, I'm up for it. I'm in Santiago.

I don't know yet!...........I gave the Muffler guy A RD$ 1000 deposit and he said it takes about 10 days to build. so I figure in Dominican time that means about 3 weeks.

My wife called him up on Friday, he said he would bring it around next Thur. and fit it up.
He also told me that it would reduce 80% of the noise, we will probably see him next weekend, he will be looking for his 2500 Pesos.

I will let you know when I have it...

Regards

Gringo