inverter cost and where to buy

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
For what it's worth, here's our garage, and a closer view of the inverter and batteries:

CIMG1130.jpg

CIMG1109.jpg

Like CB said, there is no noise, no smell. I like being able to peek out at it sometimes to see the red or green light because we often can't tell when it's working. The only thing that gives it away for me is the ceiling fans make a slight hum when the inverter kicks in.

AE

AE, is this setup visible from the streets? If so, isn't this inviting robbers? Just a suggestion.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The Xantrex invertor that I mentioned always switched on fast enough to keep any computer that I was using open without a UPS.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Would it make sense to install the invertor next to your electrical panel? In the new place I'm building that seems to be the most logical place as the electrical panel is in the utility/laundry room.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE, is this setup visible from the streets? If so, isn't this inviting robbers? Just a suggestion.

Our house is set very far back from the road, with lots of lemon, mango, platano and avocado trees up front, behind very tall walls. Plus the house is set at a slight angle, so even if you stand at the end of the driveway that corner of the garage is hidden. Even with that, I was concerned, so we have two locks on the garage gates and one on the batteries. Of course, if someone wanted to get in, they would. But we do have a caretaker who lives in a small detached building only about 100' from the house.

Would it make sense to install the invertor next to your electrical panel? In the new place I'm building that seems to be the most logical place as the electrical panel is in the utility/laundry room.

We thought about that too, but our electrical panel is behind the refrigerator in the kitchen [don't ask] and on the other side is an exterior wall with no covering, so that wasn't a good option for us. Part of the kitchen is actually right behind that garage wall.

AE

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

This is where I had mine installed. A lot less wiring in the house.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
After a house is already built, you sometimes have to compromise on where you install the inverter and batteries so you may not be right next to the electrical panel as some have mentioned. As long as you install the inverter between where power is connected to the street and the electrical panel, you should be fine. And remember to keep the wires connected to the batteries as short as possible while not having the batteries directly under or over the inverter. For systems with more than 4 batteries, make sure you take the positive and negative lines from the diagonally opposite corners of the bank of 8, 12 or 16 batteries.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
After a house is already built, you sometimes have to compromise on where you install the inverter and batteries so you may not be right next to the electrical panel as some have mentioned. As long as you install the inverter between where power is connected to the street and the electrical panel, you should be fine. And remember to keep the wires connected to the batteries as short as possible while not having the batteries directly under or over the inverter. For systems with more than 4 batteries, make sure you take the positive and negative lines from the diagonally opposite corners of the bank of 8, 12 or 16 batteries.
Solid advice...

Also, a 24v system is far superior to a 12v system.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I have a Xantrex 3.6 KW with 8 trojan blacks , Runs the whole house, (Fridge, Lights 2 Computers, fans, Microwave and we even put the Automatic washing machine on to complete loads using the battery power) Including the water pump (to fill the tenaco).
We don't have street power for about 12 hours a day. But we always have power in the house.
Had to put in a 10 KW voltage regulator because we get about 90 Volts into the house. So you may want to check your Line in.

In the Apartment on the house I have a 2.5 KW Dominican Brand with 4 batteries

But system is great. You may want to try Alexis Inversores , I have known Alexis for 6 years. Have bought several systems for other homes from him, including air Conditioners. Top notch guy and speaks excellent English, and german and Spanish of course

I also treat all batteries monthly with Battery B-bagra from Freddy in Sosua. I have had My Trojans for 3 Years 7 Months and they are still like new ! Ounce of prevention........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Getting only 90 volts provided to your house is a clear violation of Edenorte's service agreement with you. I know, this is the DR and it isn't easy to get what you pay for, but I would file a complaint with Protecom.

I have tried everything from pure EDTA, which is the main active ingredient in Battery B'agra, to Batter B'agra itself, and it has not extended the life of any brand of batteries that I have owned. EDTA is a chemical that reportedly reduces the amount of sulphation on the battery plates. Sulphation normally happens when batteries sit around unused in a less than fully charged state. In your situation, getting only 12 hours of power every day means your batteries are either being discharged, charged, or simply catching a quick "breather" until they are used again. The damage that occurs when batteries are used in that manner is the loss of material from the plates that falls to the bottom of the battery and EDTA/B'agra will not repair that kind of problem. I will say that batteries that have remained as good as new for almost 4 years is quite remarkable, so whatever you are doing is working for you and those Trojan Black batteries.

I was told that Battery B'agra also contains some sulphuric acid. I have no idea if this is true since it was told to me by a competitor of the Battery B'agra company. EDTA is a weak organic acid, but Sulphuric acid should never be added to batteries unless there was spillage of the electrolyte.