Inverter question

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
AZB, You are one of the lucky ones who have had a reliable localmade inverter, but 8 out of 10 the inverters made here will start to give problems after 6 months of 1 year, or maybe damage some home appliances.

Every Trave inverter owner that I know has own their inverter for more than 10+ years and the thing just keeps going without a hiccup, the rate is almost 100% in reliability. Batteries come and go and the inverter? fine thanks

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB, You are one of the lucky ones who have had a reliable localmade inverter, but 8 out of 10 the inverters made here will start to give problems after 6 months of 1 year, or maybe damage some home appliances.

Every Trave inverter owner that I know has own their inverter for more than 10+ years and the thing just keeps going without a hiccup, the rate is almost 100% in reliability. Batteries come and go and the inverter? fine thanks

Thats why I recommend eddy's inverters. they are the best in local name brands. Now if you buy an inverter from a papichulo type store. then good luck.
AZB

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Thats why I recommend eddy's inverters. they are the best in local name brands. Now if you buy an inverter from a papichulo type store. then good luck.
AZB

I will definitely contact Eddy, and if the saving is substantial I will buy one of his inverters. But, for whatever reason, my current setup sucks, and since I don't have any expertise in this area, I'm going to do what's safe instead of ****ing my money away on something that doesn't deliver.

AZB, I'm sure that there are things that you have no knowledge about or aptitude for, and so you pay a little more for the security of getting the best. - D

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Invertor sizing and Number of Batteries

We have now 12 Trace Batteries , used on a 5.5 kW 120/220 Volt Inverter manufactured locally by Easypower three years ago. This runs much of the house including 10000 Bthu Split Air Conditioners, which loads up the inverter on start up. It has given no problems in the last three years and is specifically designed for the DR. It has a high level of surge and spike protection so we have avoided many problems of blown appliances over the years. We recently replaced the batteries after 3 years.
Our average consumption is 18.8 kW per day for two fridges, TV , two computers and most of the rest of the house.
After IKE and the power has been out here in Perla Marina, (between Sosua and Cabarete) for the last 14 hours (6th September/7th September) we are still doing fine with the batteries down to 30% of full charge so it is nearly time to fire up the generator to recharge as we cant be sure how long the power will be out after IKE. Its better not to discharge the batteries below about 20%.
The battery voltage gives an indication of the capacity left in the batteries. With the invertor on load, I use these voltages to give me an indication of what is left.

Battery Capacity left Battery Voltage (24 Volt System)
100% 25.44
80% 24.84
50% 24.14
30% 23.52
10% 22.62

It is best not to go below 30%. This makes the batteries last longer.
The other factor about the number of Batteries to have is the discharge rate per batteriy. A battery rated at 225 amp-hours with a load of 1000W will require say 40 amps ( at 25 volts) and would discharge in about 6 hours. If it were discharged at lower rate ( that is about 10-12 amps) it would last longer than you would expect. It lasts longer at lower discharge rates because lead acid batteries are more efficient, typically by about 20% and would look like a 275 AH battery.
What is the point you all say? There is some advantage in having more batteries , so you have a lower discharge rate and a more efficient battery.
We sized our invertor to take account of start up current of fridges and the load from two A/Cs and ended up with 5.5 kW and have had no problem over the last three years.

HTH

Olly

PS Power just back on here in Perla Marina so can save the Diesel for the next Hurricane!!!:bunny:

track

Sep 6, 2008
I was reading all the comments about local made inverters and Trace.

I can tell you this:

Trace was a company that revolutionized the inverter business up up Washington, Seattle, Arlington. It was out of necessity for the boating industry. They where manufacturer for a harsh environment ( Salt water ) where corrosion is heavy. Movement, vibration etc.

They learned all the tricks, they learn from very good engineers, Boeing Airplanes is right next to them. They learned manufacturing process. They applied those knowledge to the manufacturing and design of the inverter business.

Trace kicked off when Dominican started to purchase the device. This is the sad part, Trying to reduce cost to developed the DR series. It's the most popular Inverter in the Dominican Republic. It was design to fit in a traveling bag ( 4 units ). That was one on the main part of the design.
The original design had lots of bugs, but with time it was perfected. In some ways it's an inferior design but with new technology. It cost less, but they had to bypass some manufacturing procedures, Like conformal coating the boards against corrosion. Charging the battery wit a Triac, etc. They still do some part but not all.

Conformal coating is a sticky coat of transparent plastic paint , like a plastic shield that the electronics is submerge. It helps the component in avoiding vibration and corrosion from the salt and the sulfuric acid sometimes next to the battery.

The transformer is one very heavy part of the Inverter. They put more effort on building this part because it's the most important part of the inverter. The reset will be a copy, like the Firmware or program on the microcontroller, the Fets of transistor are all computer design, etched and manufactured. The transformer is on of the parts that's done by hand. Testing them if very important. This is where Local made inverters fail!

Local made inverter do not have a very hard testing process. The quality control is important but not near a US, Canadian Inverters.

Xantrex when out and bought almost all the inverter factorys, including trace. That's why they are now Xantrex. Some of the guys at trace stated a new company call OutBack Power. They are in the Pure Sine Wave inverter. It was not design for the Dominican Republic, it was design to be the best pure sinewave inverter and the safest. That's why they cost much more than Xantex. But the also have another thing, experience.

I recommend Xantrex and OutBack Power inverter.

I could tell much more about it but it, but it will be a long story.