Investor visa - Visas de Residencia por Inversión

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's for others to interpret.. but I see her that nobody actually have the answer to my question. And are throwing out all sorts of non-relevant opinions and personal experienced that are not very relevant. Again if you don't know the answer to the quite specific question.. go to the next thread please. But I do realize it's a waste of time here.. nobody seem to know because either people did not opt for this path to residency or they left it all in the hands of another person a lawyer etc. Just to add a piece of unsolicitated advice here, as it seem to be the way of things in this thread.. If you ever do use a lawyer here, check with various of them and educate yourself on the matter... because being a lawyer in not a qualification in it self. Much money and time are wasted by many who practice that profession.
For a person who joined this forum yesterday you seem to be quite the expert.
Maybe you joined the wrong forum, since you possess such vast knowledge already.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's for others to interpret.. but I see her that nobody actually have the answer to my question. And are throwing out all sorts of non-relevant opinions and personal experienced that are not very relevant. Again if you don't know the answer to the quite specific question.. go to the next thread please. But I do realize it's a waste of time here.. nobody seem to know because either people did not opt for this path to residency or they left it all in the hands of another person a lawyer etc. Just to add a piece of unsolicitated advice here, as it seem to be the way of things in this thread.. If you ever do use a lawyer here, check with various of them and educate yourself on the matter... because being a lawyer in not a qualification in it self. Much money and time are wasted by many who practice that profession.

It depends on the lawyer you use. I recommend you contact Guzman Ariza, ad at the top of the main page. They offer free consultations and are excellent.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The last time I saw the real answer to this question it was - in theory one could be granted investment residency based on a real estate purchase. But, at that time, no one had ever been granted it that way. That is the value of a lawyer, they know not only the law, but how it is applied in practice.

Wait for a response from Sr Guzman.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
On the contrary, there have been several posts in this forum by persons who have received investor residency. There is a special line for them at DGM. Everything gets expedited. They get the red-carpet treatment. In this thread, MR has already said she has this residency.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
On the contrary, there have been several posts in this forum by persons who have received investor residency. There is a special line for them at DGM. Everything gets expedited. They get the red-carpet treatment. In this thread, MR has already said she has this residency.
What I was trying to say is that, the last I heard, no one has been granted investor residency for buying real estate. But, as I say, the only real answer will be from a lawyer who specializes in these things.

I have investor residency and have had it for many years. And, yes I get to go to an office at Migracion to renew it. Not stand in line outside. There are several ways to get it. And, it is not a visa. People who use that term may be referring to a period of time when they are issued some kind of temporary status while applying for residency.

Better to wait for Sr Guzman to answer.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What I was trying to say is that, the last I heard, no one has been granted investor residency for buying real estate. But, as I say, the only real answer will be from a lawyer who specializes in these things.

I have investor residency and have had it for many years. And, yes I get to go to an office at Migracion to renew it. Not stand in line outside. There are several ways to get it. And, it is not a visa. People who use that term may be referring to a period of time when they are issued some kind of temporary status while applying for residency.

You're right there - you can't just buy any real estate in general. Post #8 shows what kind of investments qualify. Many posters here throw around the term "visa" way too loosely and create confusion. Most of the time they're referring to the tourist card.

Reactions: franco1111

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hi so I bought my first property here and expect to buy the second now shortly and continue. This adds up.. so how to make this investment count for obtaining residency as an investor?

I know they ask for a certificate, Certificado de Inversionista, from the Centro de Exportación / Prodominicana. That's a bit ahead as I need to invest more. But how to I make sure that what I do count for this in the future. Investments sometimes need to be registered with the central bank ++ depending on the country. Any particular thing I should keep in mind as I bring money into the country and buy property with this in mind?

It's tourism related so I see in some cases it's the ministry of tourism that certifies the investment.

K
Hire an immigration lawyer that can tell you all the answers.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think the common mistake that is made by people who are new to this country is that they think that there are a set of rules and a set of outcomes, ie "you qualify for this visa by doing this, and these are the benefits". And they don't understand that most of the time here the rules are ignored, so when it says you need to do ABCDE to get something, actually you need to do DEFG. Or if you're Dominican and powerful, you call your primo who works in that department, and then you only need to do a bit of F and a bit of G. But to do F you need to go to another department, and then they need you to do S T and U, but you can't do S at the moment because their system isn't working. And before you get any of the benefits, it's another JKLM and they are never exactly like you thought they would be. Nothing here is logical and if you think that by following rules you'll get certain outcomes, it won't end well.

It's a shame that Rey isn't around, he would be able to give the OP a clear answer.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think the common mistake that is made by people who are new to this country is that they think that there are a set of rules and a set of outcomes, ie "you qualify for this visa by doing this, and these are the benefits". And they don't understand that most of the time here the rules are ignored, so when it says you need to do ABCDE to get something, actually you need to do DEFG. Or if you're Dominican and powerful, you call your primo who works in that department, and then you only need to do a bit of F and a bit of G. But to do F you need to go to another department, and then they need you to do S T and U, but you can't do S at the moment because their system isn't working. And before you get any of the benefits, it's another JKLM and they are never exactly like you thought they would be. Nothing here is logical and if you think that by following rules you'll get certain outcomes, it won't end well.

It's a shame that Rey isn't around, he would be able to give the OP a clear answer.
Good description: pretty much the way it works,

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi so I bought my first property here and expect to buy the second now shortly and continue. This adds up.. so how to make this investment count for obtaining residency as an investor?

I know they ask for a certificate, Certificado de Inversionista, from the Centro de Exportación / Prodominicana. That's a bit ahead as I need to invest more. But how to I make sure that what I do count for this in the future. Investments sometimes need to be registered with the central bank ++ depending on the country. Any particular thing I should keep in mind as I bring money into the country and buy property with this in mind?

It's tourism related so I see in some cases it's the ministry of tourism that certifies the investment.

K
As I understand it, It doesn't count since you have to invest in a business that has employees for that. Not for purchasing property alone.
But by all means contact a lawyer and please report back what they say about just buying property alone for this purpose

REQUIREMENTS​

• Passport valid for a minimum of (18) months. According to the application regulation 631-11.
• Residence Visa (RS).
• Letter of Incorporation into the Foreign Investment Program.
• Certified Certificate of Foreign Investment.

• Inextense Birth Certificate, original.
• Four (4) recent photographs, of the same set: two (2) of front and two (2) of right profile, size 2×2, without jewels or accessories and bare ears, with the white background.
• Certificate of No Criminal Record of your country of origin or of the country where you have resided in the last five (5) years.
• Marriage certificate, declaration of singleness or proof of living together, apostilled or legalized.
• Guarantee policy contracted with ARS Reservas. You can go to CLICKING HERE
• Medical examinations, in one of the institutions authorized by the DGM.

Reactions: rodrigito

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What Migracion asks for might not be logical or well stated on its web page,
but when I became a DR citizen, the list of things I had to do to qualify and obtain it was very concise and logical making it
very doable with no lawyer. What the OP asked for requires a lawyer to state the answer to.

I doubt buying property alone qualifies for any legal way to stay in the DR. I know people with over a millions USD in property here
that live in it full time and they are illegal.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

My landlord got it and gets walked through every time he needs to renew - VIP treatment

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What kind of property
His only one or part of a string of them??

That’s a business - operating a string of rentals

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My landlord got it and gets walked through every time he needs to renew - VIP treatment
Operative word here is likely to be: landlord. Your landlord has a business renting.

Or a lawyer came up with a "creative company" on paper. That can happen.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Operative word here is likely to be: landlord. Your landlord has a business renting.

Or a lawyer came up with a "creative company" on paper. That can happen.
This makes a lot of sense. (Not directed to OP as he is not interested). I read some time back the language of what the "investment of $200,000 is suppose to be and as I recall it said" not to be your personal residence." This lead me to think about how I file my personal taxes in the US...not for discussion here, but VERY similar to... what is your business (?) ...real estate. Clearly, winde..."that can happen".

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I do think it's funny that all of us are playing guessing games trying to help the OP in order to save him a few dollars on a lawyer. (I spend thousands and thousands on lawyers every year and wouldn't dream of asking a detailed legal question on a public forum).

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I do think it's funny that all of us are playing guessing games trying to help the OP in order to save him a few dollars on a lawyer. (I spend thousands and thousands on lawyers every year and wouldn't dream of asking a detailed legal question on a public forum).
That's because you're richer than Elon Musk. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: chico bill

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And I would avoid lawyers like the plague they are. Especially here.

I was able to get DR citizenship without a lawyer BECAUSE of questions I asked on DR1 and Lindsay (RIP) responded to with the correct procedure I did myself. Different stroke for different folks.

Reactions: aarhus