Iphone question

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
The bst thing to do is to purchase a used iPhone that is already unlocked. I've purchased a couple from Craigslist with good results.

Once an iphone is unlocked can it be used in the states, europe and here?
What unlocked used iphone model would you suggest buying for here?
What is a good price for it?
Would you buy it here or on craigslist or ebay in the states?
Thanks!

Apr 13, 2011
Once an iphone is unlocked can it be used in the states, europe and here?
What unlocked used iphone model would you suggest buying for here?
What is a good price for it?
Would you buy it here or on craigslist or ebay in the states?
Thanks!

Once the phone is unlocked, it can be used anywhere, just swap out the sim card for the sim card of the country you are in.
Any model should be good - depends on what you want.
Can't help with price as that varies. I recommend trying to buy in the US from someone who has upgraded to the iPhone 5, because you can get their old iPhone 4 for a very good price - or get a refurbished one online for a good price.

Apr 13, 2011
Now - I have a question - after it is unlocked, how much is it to add Viber and Whatsapp to the iPhone (since you can not go to iTunes apps to download)??? Or am I wrong and you can go to iTunes and just download those apps for free like in the US, but while you are in the DR with the unlocked phone with a Claro or Orange sim card???

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Using iTunes and downloading is independent from your iPhone being locked or unlocked. You don't need the SIM to download either as long as you are connected trough wifi. To use whatsapp you'll need a SIM ofcourse but that will work fine in an unlocked phone as well as a locked phone.

Apr 13, 2011
Using iTunes and downloading is independent from your iPhone being locked or unlocked. You don't need the SIM to download either as long as you are connected trough wifi. To use whatsapp you'll need a SIM ofcourse but that will work fine in an unlocked phone as well as a locked phone.

But - I should not have to pay anything to download those apps while in the DR, correct? Because I want them associated with the DR phone number on the sim card in the DR... I think you are saying that they are still free app downloads....

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I have an unlocked iphone 4 I brought from Canada and have a claro number. I downloaded those apps you mentioned with no problem. But I do have my iTunes account set up as if I was in canada

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I have one and there is none better. I just gave away my IPAD. Who needs it when you have Android.
I still use my Nexus4, the one from last year. Very good! I will pass it along to my son, probably this summer, to buy either a Nexus 5 or a Galaxy S5, because is is "weatherproof".