Is american embassy still issuing visas?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
In theory, it should not matter where a Polish citizen applies for a visa to the US. However, you do know that you are in the DR where the embassy is very used to saying no.

Please do give the US consul on POP a call before you go through the procedure because it is indeed a very annoying one. Just to make sure there is no problem for you to apply here, etc, etc.

That is the best advice I can give from one "genetic" Pole (me) to a naturally born one (you). Shopping is a very good reason to go. The US needs the money.

The citizen of those countries that need a visa to visit the USA needs to prove the USA consulate that they have enough tie in the country that they LIVE.

dv8 has a greater chance to get an USA visa applying in Santo Domingo than she does applying in Poland. Why? Because if she goes to the embassy/consulate in Poland and they ask her for prove that she has enough tie to return to Poland, she won't be able provide those proves. What prove they are looking for? They're looking to see if she is attending university, if she has a house or a business, or if she has a family (husband and kids). She has none of that in Poland as far as I know.

If dv8 and her husband have a house, cars and a business or other properties in the DR, I don't know if the pharmacy where she works belong to her and her husband, it will be easy for her to get the visa in Santo Domingo. Of course, as she lives in the DR they are going to require her to show her Permanent Resident Card and her Cedula.

If they ask her why she wants a visa to the USA, once she show all her proves that she has enough tie to the DR, she can say that it will be easier for her to go shopping to New York City and Miami every year than to go shopping to London, Paris or Milan. ;)

dv8

But I don't know why you want to go through all the hazards of applying for an USA visa, when as a Polish citizen you can travel to CANADA without a visa. The same things that you are going to find in the USA you are going to find in Canada. You have Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver to choose from. And you can renew your passport in the Polish consulate/embassy in Canada.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
You will have an easier time getting a visitor visa through Poland than you will as a DR resident.

This is not true and very deceiving. She has to show that she has strong tie to Poland, other than her parents, in order to get an USA visa just like any Dominican applying in the DR. She doesn't live in Poland, she doesn't have strong tie to Poland, her parents don't count, her visa will be denied in Poland in a heart bit.

If Polish citizens need visas to travel to the USA, as European Union citizen, is because they too get denied too many visa to travel to the USA like DR citizens.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I think dv8 is married with a member of a one of DR's prominent family, so getting a tourist visa to USA will be a piece of cake just based on that. Approval quotas don't mean crack when it comes to those last names.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How do prices compare between the US and Canada

But I don't know why you want to go through all the hazards of applying for an USA visa, when as a Polish citizen you can travel to CANADA without a visa. The same things that you are going to find in the USA you are going to find in Canada. You have Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver to choose from. And you can renew your passport in the Polish consulate/embassy in Canada.

It is always true that the applicant for a US visitor's visa has to prove close ties to the country in which they live. It is interesting to note that at Polish citizen does not need a visa to Canada, but as far as the US goes there are still EU countries that are not exempt from Visas.

Is the price the same in Canada as it is in the US? When I lived in upstate NY may years ago, I used to hear of Canadians entering the US to do their shopping because the prices were much better. Is that still true?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
yep. Poor Canadians are taxed to near death. Gotta pay for that wonderful free health care plan. Wonderful if you are sickly but hell if you are well. Those living near the border still cross over to shop.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thank you to all who answered.
yes, it is true that i have no ties with poland anymore so i would not stand a chance of getting a visa there. in DR i have a steady job in a family business, i have a house, and even my little car counts :)
family ties may help or may not, hopefully they will.

HB, i may have a family in miami, miespso's grandfather had 11 kids plus another 10 out of bedlock, and they all had kids too :) there is a lot of them ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
indeed, i have no ties with poland anymore. on the other hand i have some assets in DR: house, car, some savings. and, of course, the family ties do help.

HB: there might be a family in miami, miesposo's grandfather had 10 kids or so, then other 10 out of wedlock and they all had children... i cannot follow that....

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
european passport my a** :) polaks still need visas to USA.
i may have to go there to renew my passport. and shopping, of course. besides, i want to visit the country where i am going to be the thinnest person around! ;)

My Bad, Dear,
I thought that You Guys in Poland have the Full backup of the EU by now.
with my German Passport I just hopp on da Plane to Miami/FL(I guess it would have been the same for shopping in NY but I didn't try that, lol), have Fun and then hopp on a Plane back to DR.
I have really no clue how long I would be allowed to stay, i would not care about that b'c not something looking forward to, but right before Easter week it sti;ll worked out Fine for Me, I don't know if something would have changed since then.
to Renew Your Passport spounds like it is expiring soon/did have expired, that's a different case, I let one of my Pasports expire 3 years ago and the actual one is due for renewal next Year May, I heard from "Rumors" that the formerly for many years very bad Service at our German Embassy in St Dgo would be pleasant Now, I will find out later this year when I try to renew there. at least I would have the Back Up Weapon of an other Nationality's Passport Valid til 2019 to Leave/Travel with that one anyways and 4renew the German One during that Time Period at Home in Person, just in case.

I don't know how the rules are for You with a Polish Passport, for My German One the Entry Rule to the USA is simply that the Passport needs to be Valid at least 6 Months over the Date of the Exit Date of the Travel, Yes, they really required a Return Ticket this Time.

DV,
if all fails,
there are "Exception Rules" when Travelling by Water to the US Shores, I may "Know somebody who has Boats for Hire", lol

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The citizen of those countries that need a visa to visit the USA needs to prove the USA consulate that they have enough tie in the country that they LIVE.

dv8 has a greater chance to get an USA visa applying in Santo Domingo than she does applying in Poland. Why? Because if she goes to the embassy/consulate in Poland and they ask her for prove that she has enough tie to return to Poland, she won't be able provide those proves. What prove they are looking for? They're looking to see if she is attending university, if she has a house or a business, or if she has a family (husband and kids). She has none of that in Poland as far as I know.

If dv8 and her husband have a house, cars and a business or other properties in the DR, I don't know if the pharmacy where she works belong to her and her husband, it will be easy for her to get the visa in Santo Domingo. Of course, as she lives in the DR they are going to require her to show her Permanent Resident Card and her Cedula.

If they ask her why she wants a visa to the USA, once she show all her proves that she has enough tie to the DR, she can say that it will be easier for her to go shopping to New York City and Miami every year than to go shopping to London, Paris or Milan. ;)

dv8

sorry to disagree,
but as a holder of a specific Passport the specifications to apply for a visitor Visa for a specific country are exactly the same completely Independend of the Country where Youn actually live in, what counts is Your Nationality by Passport. I hold myself legally several of such and use them accordingly to the Place I want to Visit to obtain Visas/Travel to witout the need of a Visa, and it works quiet Fine and hassle free since more than 2 decades, including the USA.
many countries require that Your Passport is still valid for a specific Time Period(often 6 months), but aside of that, a EU Union Passport is the Top Dog of the Globe.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

dv8

No,
such Proof/Requirements are not necessary for the Citizens of every Country, it simply depends on the Diplomatic Ties of Your Passport Holder Country with the Country You wanna Visit.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I think dv8 is married with a member of a one of DR's prominent family, so getting a tourist visa to USA will be a piece of cake just based on that. Approval quotas don't mean crack when it comes to those last names.

such can be of Help to Speed up a Process, Yes, def Yes, but to be considered basically for something not appliable would require some very personal and high level connections, if such would be present the person sure would not bother to ask for advice here on DR1.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
indeed, i have no ties with poland anymore. on the other hand i have some assets in DR: house, car, some savings. and, of course, the family ties do help.

HB: there might be a family in miami, miesposo's grandfather had 10 kids or so, then other 10 out of wedlock and they all had children... i cannot follow that....

DV,.
when applying for a Visitor/Working/Residency etc etc what so ever Visa for any Country on the Globe, the firstly Thingy that Counts is "Where Your Valid PASSPORT is from",.
doesn't matter much where You live and even less from which Location/Country You wanna enter a Country, the Primepoint is where Your Passport is from and what Diplomatic Ties Your Passport Country has with the Destin Country.

sure I guess very strong Family Ties can easen down some processes, but I guess that's not the point here.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
btw, does anyone know if i can pick up the date for interview or they set it dead?