Is Claro phone unlocked?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you buy from Ebay or Amazon an "International Unlocked Phone" you will be fine. Just make sure the company you are dealing with in the DR had the right specs for the phone you buy.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
I know how to find out if there is a sim card por dentro, but how does a nonexpert answer the other questions above?

google specs for your phone model to determine phones bands.

See post #15 for question 2.

Bands: (below info may not be up-to-date)

Claro / Compa?ia Dominicana De Telefonos, S.A.
Network Technology: GSM / 3G
2G Bands: GSM 850 / 1900
3G Bands: W-CDMA 850
4G Bands: LTE 1700 Mhz (Band 4 AWS) LTE 2100MHz (Band 1)
2G Data: GPRS / EDGE
3G Data: HSDPA 3.6 Mbps
CDMA: 1900 MHz (non GSM)

Orange / Orange Dominicana S.A.
Network Technology: GSM / 3G / 4G
2G Bands: GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Bands: W-CDMA 2100
4G Bands: LTE 1800 Mhz (Band 3) LTE 900 MHz (Band 8)
2G Data: GPRS / EDGE
3G Data: HSDPA 7.2 Mbps

Viva / Trilogy Dominicana S.A.
Network Technology: GSM
2G Bands: GSM 1900
3G Bands:
4G Bands:
2G Data: GPRS 1900
3G Data:
4G Data:
CDMA: 900 MHz (non GSM)

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
OK, I have no idea.... but here goes.

If I buy a phone or a tablet, be it in a claro/orange/dominican/swiss/france.......it comes unlocked.

If i get a phone at a discount with a service provider, it comes blocked on the provider's network.
French/swiss phones can be unblocked only at the term of your contract with the provider.
Here in the dr, most phones can be unblocked for a couple of hundred pesos...... in most small claro/orange street shops.

Example : I bought a samsung tablet with SIM slot for 100 X, it came unblocked.
I got the exact same tablet with a swiss provider for 30 X, under a 24 month service contract ( like 4h comunication and 5 Go a month for 10 X )......and was only able to get it unblocked at the term of the contract.

Blocked (IMEI blocked) and carrier locked are two different terms. Blocked is bad i.g. stolen, unpaid bill, illegally purchased etc..

Phones are locked to a particular network carrier so the carrier can subsidize the price of the phone to their customers. Carrier locked is what you want to say. When a phone will be unlocked by the carrier varies from immediately, or to the end of fixed period or contract- even if bought at unsubsidized price.

Last edited:

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
don't think he knows exactly what phone he has. i looked at pageplus offer and this is the s4 they have: http://www.pageplusphonestore.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-4G-LTE.html
i think this model is both CDMA and GSM (micro sim). it should work here.

yep. Pageplus uses Verizon Signals. do if they are selling a phone it is very likely a customized verizon Model.
the S4 verizon model # is SGH-I545 so the pageplus model should be somewhat similar to that #

to check go to settings menu then about phone there one of the lines will say model#

if that model # correspond that I545 you have a factory unlocked model in your hands. except that phone has both CDMA and GSM you must switch it to GSM to to get signal with a DR Sim Card
to do that go to

Settings then -more settings- then mobile networks- then network mode there you select gsm/umts. bingo you should get signals to make a phone call wait a about a minute for the phone to search for signal or just restart. make sure DR sim card is in (micro size )

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
So nobody actually tried to use Claro smartphones in US?

I will tell you one thing though, do not get Sony brand phones in DR because I bought two for $500RD(I think, it's been couple of months) and it has random reboots and wifi issues on both and my guess is the crappy customization Sony did for Claro. I had earlier Sony Window smartphone like 10 years ago and loved it but this just leave a huge mark on their current lines of smartphones for me. I am going to see if I can unlock these and find a different ROM and find a use for it.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
The phone you purchase from Claro come locked to Claro's network.

You will need to unlock them in order for them to work on other networks.

I didn't see an answer to the OP in the 4 pages I read. tmnyc has good information in this thread, read his posts.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I got couple of phones for cheap and I was wondering this.

Does anybody know if the phones that are purchased though Claro or Orange is unlocked?

If you buy them with a prepaid plan, you pay basically full-price for the phone and it will be unlocked.

If you buy on a contract, it may be locked to Claro/Orange, but they can be unlocked at many places here in-country.

Some phone are unavailable except on a contract, which leads me to believe they are carrier-locked.

Jul 28, 2014
If you don't live here full time please don't make comments on subjects you have no knowledge of.

I don't live in D.R. but can tell you have no knowledge!,The O.P. asked >
Does anybody know if the phones that are purchased though Claro or Orange is unlocked?

NOT IF ones bought in the U.S. work, as per your statement>
My last two phones I purchased from the us were tmobile and Verizon . Both were smartphones and both needed to be unlocked.

SO I have to agree, please don't make comments on subjects you have no knowledge

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Verizon and T-Mobile doesn't need to be unlock they are already unlocked, unless you buy prepaid phones. Most of the prepaid phones needs to be unlocked.

I have LG G3, Moto E from Verizon, Galaxy Light from T-Mobile and my wife has Galaxy S4 from AT&T. Moto E and and Galaxy Light bought for prepaid needed to be unlocked, Galaxy S4 was bought unlocked and G3 didn't needed to do anything, just popped in Claro sim and changed to GSM setting and it's working without even entering APN.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
I tried that on a friends suggestions. It didn't take. So I gave it to one the girls in my bar. When I came back from playing golf it was working. Worth the 500 pesos. Thanks mabe he was as savy as you!!!!

nothing savy about it. I just happened that I had a Verizon galalaxy S3 next to me when I read your post. I thought you were in direct contact with the rep and he told you he had to unlock it. That would have been being a bit less Honest on his part. The fact that you were not in direct contact with the guy, you had the girls taken care of it and it only cost 500 pesos.that's a 500 well spent. the fact it was all done while you were out golfing makes your position very envious. Enjoying life while someone else is taking care of your problems or issues for a small fee is priceless

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I thought it was other way around.
They are still CDMA company but adding LTE to their network FCC forced them to be unlocked GSM.

I meant CDMA, good catch, Most of VZW is LTE.
I have no idea if a VZW LTE phone will work on Claro, I use separate equipment.
It definitely roams, and runs up quite a nice tab!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I meant CDMA, good catch, Most of VZW is LTE.
I have no idea if a VZW LTE phone will work on Claro, I use separate equipment.
It definitely roams, and runs up quite a nice tab!

Less then couple years old devices will work without unlocking. All you have to do is change setting or find a app that does that for you, if you don't see an option in setting area. I have LG G3 from Verizon and I just changed the sim, setting and way I went.

I only have two issues though, first is the data seems weaker then Note 3 (this could be where I am) and other is lack of voice mail.