is Drywall or sheetrock available in DOM REP?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Drywall has it's advantages. It's relatively easy to install and repair. properly installed drywall secured to studs makes it much easier to run new electrical wiring or cables. If you put a hole in it too big to patch, just cut out the sheet and put a new one in its place.

In this climate, drywall may not have the ability to endure as long as other materials. It all comes down to choice and compromise based on cost, functionality and whether one is prepared to maintain it more often than perhaps a different material. Should moisture penetrate into the chalky interior of the drywall, it is ruined and will need to be replaced.

Certainly easier to hang pictures on drywall than concrete walls.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Can you tell me what is cement board and its applications? WHo sells it ochoa? tks

Durock (USG https://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/...ion/backerboards/usg-durock-cement-board.html ) will be the most recognised name and Ferreteria Americana do stock it. There are other brands of cement board available......Denglas, Securock, permabase Plyrock.

It is ideal for this climate being more durable and perfect for bathroom uses and indeed any internal walls because Dominicanas love to deep water mop floors.

And just like sheetrock is easy to cut for electrical trimmings. If one does opt for sheetrock then go for the moisture resistant green board which might be more difficult to source in DR.

I am against using metal studs in the tropics and would go for pressure treated timber studs. I have seen the effects of rapid corrosion of the metal studs and bottom track due to water.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks for this reply, i totally understand the concern of it not being "strong" but the hose is already built with blocks and all the strong stuff, I was thinking of sheetrock to divide 2 bedrooms and modernize the overall look of the interior with smooth walls and such.

Metal studs, metal track, 1/2x4x8 sheetrock and be done with it. Keep the rock a good 1/4" off the floor and install a vinyl baseboard. Install a good coat of primer/sealer and bingo you have your dividing wall. Mop the floor everyday and the wall will still be up long after you have moved on.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Is Pressure Treated Wood Safe for Indoor Use?

Is Pressure Treated Wood Safe for Indoor Use?

Posted 15 March 2010 12:30 PM by dgauthier@ufpi.com

We get this question a lot. The simple answer is pressure-treated lumber can be used in any interior application except cutting boards and countertops. Some have also asked, after they’ve found pressure-treated lumber installed inside their homes, if there is any danger in having it indoors. The answer is no. There is no danger of either leaching or off-gassing.

But these answers beg another question: Why would you use treated lumber indoors? The reason lumber is treated is to protect it from exterior elements that might cause rot, decay or termite infestation. In a protected environment, there is no danger of rot or decay, unless the wood is exposed regularly to moisture, such as near a leaking pipe or window.

Some bathroom sub-floor panel products are pressure treated as they may be exposed to moisture on a regular basis, and some builders use borate-treated lumber, such as ProWood Borate, for sill plates in areas where termite infestation is common.

In extreme areas of termite infestation, such as the US Gulf Coast and Hawaii, the whole structural shell may be constructed using ProWood Borate or other borate-treated lumber products. Other than those examples, there would not be a need to use pressure treated lumber indoors.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It's a cultural thing. Having lived in Florida for a number of years before moving to the DR and coming from a construction background sheet rock was always used throughout Florida with no problems. The Dominicans view this type of construction as weak and not long term and for that reason don't use it. For me it's the most efficient and best system to use for construction but to get the Dominicans to change is almost impossible. When I build my big ocean front house in Las Terrenas I will use block as the outside walls and then put metal studs on the inside of the block as well as all the interior walls so the plumbing and electrical can be run normally. Also, makes it much easier to install cabinets and other items on the walls. Then sheetrock, tape and texture. This allows for insulation to be installed in all walls to keep air conditioning costs down. Also takes away the feeling of being in a mausoleum like when everything is concrete in a typical Dominican house. Yes, there is a sheetrock store just a short distance down the road from and on the same side of the street as Price Smart in the Capital. They stock everything including corners, screws etc.

I for one, wouldn't use it. There's someting to be said for "when in rome". Every locale has best practices for building based on availability of materials, climate, elements, skilled labor etc. And the in DR that boils down to masonry and concrete.

The same reason you don't see basements in Florida. But I'm sure some Northerner has come down and insisted on a basement, right?

And for insulation, you're best bet is to put a good blueboard on the exterior of your masonry, with a stucco over top of it. That way you take full advantage of the "mass" of masonry and concrete on your interior. Like a giant flywheel, it is charged with the AC that you purchase(or the cooler ground temps) and will reduce your cooling bill. That system will work remarkably well, with no giant headaches later because of mold on rock walls or rusty metal studs. Mi dos pesos.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Durock (USG https://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/...ion/backerboards/usg-durock-cement-board.html ) will be the most recognised name and Ferreteria Americana do stock it. There are other brands of cement board available......Denglas, Securock, permabase Plyrock.

It is ideal for this climate being more durable and perfect for bathroom uses and indeed any internal walls because Dominicanas love to deep water mop floors.

And just like sheetrock is easy to cut for electrical trimmings. If one does opt for sheetrock then go for the moisture resistant green board which might be more difficult to source in DR.

I am against using metal studs in the tropics and would go for pressure treated timber studs. I have seen the effects of rapid corrosion of the metal studs and bottom track due to water.

great info thanks

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Not real feedback but that facebook page with photos of his work is real impressive plus a reference from Hlywud is a plus.

Yea, the photos are amazing. I made contact with him today to see what can be done. Would love to get first hand feedback like on YELP. lol

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yea, the photos are amazing. I made contact with him today to see what can be done. Would love to get first hand feedback like on YELP. lol

LOL, i hear you. Unless he photo shopped those facebook pics it sure looks like quality workmanship.

Please be sure to post back. I don't see any problem with that partition wall you want built but curious how one would go about installing sheetrock over existing concrete walls. I can see a possible problem around existing window and door trim.

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
LOL, i hear you. Unless he photo shopped those facebook pics it sure looks like quality workmanship.

Please be sure to post back. I don't see any problem with that partition wall you want built but curious how one would go about installing sheetrock over existing concrete walls. I can see a possible problem around existing window and door trim.

I'll most deff post results of what will or won't happen.

That house was built in the 70's and the way they built the bedrooms was done the best way my family could at the time but its in need of some updating. I'll keep everyone posted!

M-