Is Halloween recognized in the DR?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
My wife's family has been there for many generations.

You really need a lesson in manners. Why the nasty comments? We were talking about Halloween, which IS merchandised here in all the major stores, but it is not "celebrated" as is still done in some parts of the US of A.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
While I agree with your sentiments, let's cut this short, Tambo...we don't need it. Okay guy? Thanks..

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Don't be such a INSULT!
Bob is actually one of the few on this site that has more than a clue and is well respected, I may not agree with everything he says, but he does not post nonsense. You get the Nasty Naughty Boy of the Evening award for your last post amigo.

I actually do know of Bob and before I came on this site knew of him. Seems he is different online to in person! But you are right, I can't be bothered with an issue with him and so......................what...................so he's hot about Halloween, okay, I'm cool to let him have the only opinion on this thread, or even this board if it makes you all less uptight about others opinions. I'll stick to rehoming dogs and keep my years of life in the DR under my hat! No probs:rolleyes:

From what I have seen that might be a good idea, you know? And I am biting my tongue not to be nasty...so take it easy and contribute if you can, and if you want to criticize, do so with some intelligence.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No need to repeat the nasties

Membership 2002! Heck you da man, you must know everything!:chinese: Like everything!!!!
And Everyone, such a turn on to other posters I'm sure!

Actually membership since 1997, but the DR1 got rebooted in 2002. I don't even pretent to know everything but I'm consider myself reasonably observant. I have seen numerous photos of children in Costumes and when I asked if it was carnival I was told, no Halloween. These pictures are from recent to 20 years old. the majority of Dominicans don't participate in Halloween but they certainly know what it is. I was thinking the same about you - know it all type. With all those years in the DR you would know that most Dominicans have TV, watch American TV, and in the past ten years the internet use has exploded, meaning Dominicans, especially Dominican youth are plugged in to the outside world and they are quite knowledgeable.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Well maybe we should leave it at that, I live my life and observe different to you and vice versa. I also consider myself quite observant and have lived in the country of sufficient years to know BS from reality and hence deserve a level of respect even if you guys do have a thing about new posters.
I don't know it all, but I do know what I know and it is more than 62 posts on a website and so you know, show a little, and everyone gets along fine, if not on the same page then who cares! Never a need to start pussy bitching over nothing about nothing!
K?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Yes Dominicans know about Halloween, Turkey Day, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny etc... Do they celebrate these holidays, depends. Some do and some don't. The one's I see that celebrate have ties and/or family in the USA. But unless you live in some secluded area of the DR most everyone knows about these holidays. Nothing wrong with celebrating these holidays here, I mean they celebrate Cinco de Mayo in the US!!!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well maybe we should leave it at that, I live my life and observe different to you and vice versa. I also consider myself quite observant and have lived in the country of sufficient years to know BS from reality and hence deserve a level of respect even if you guys do have a thing about new posters.
I don't know it all, but I do know what I know and it is more than 62 posts on a website and so you know, show a little, and everyone gets along fine, if not on the same page then who cares! Never a need to start pussy bitching over nothing about nothing!
K?

We have made peace.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Yes Dominicans know about Halloween, Turkey Day, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny etc... Do they celebrate these holidays, depends. Some do and some don't. The one's I see that celebrate have ties and/or family in the USA. But unless you live in some secluded area of the DR most everyone knows about these holidays. Nothing wrong with celebrating these holidays here, I mean they celebrate Cinco de Mayo in the US!!!!!

Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday, and it has absolutly nothing in common with Dominican history or culture.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Alive and Well

I was thinking of adding a Halloween touch to one of our ads for this week, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I know it's generally not celebrated.

Thanks.

I see ghouls and zombies every night I go out, but then again I don't run with the upper crust.:dead::bandit::alien::eek::rambo::paranoid::nervous::devious:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yes Dominicans do know about Halloween. I'm with NALS on this one...did I just agree with NALS? What's the world coming to? What you all have to understand is that Dominicans will celebrate anything as long as there's drinking and partying involved (i.e. Have you been to a Dominican baby shower?)

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
We went trick or treating in the Campo

Though a Little less traditional and the only ones doing it, we had fun.., My wife and I went to 5 of our neighbours and gave them each some candy to give to our 3 year old when we arrived in the early evening and he said trick or treat.
We live in an all Dominican Area and we all had a blast !