Is it just me or...

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Lesley, that's your department! I know it's wrong and I know the two correct forms that could be used in its place, but I'm nowhere near enough of a scholar to actually explain the rule.

Anyway, I set out to sow some paranoia and it seems to have worked! :devious:

Is it in English or Spanish? I mean the phrase you are referring to.

jmaz98

Sep 25, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Lesley, that's your department! I know it's wrong and I know the two correct forms that could be used in its place, but I'm nowhere near enough of a scholar to actually explain the rule.

I think I know who the offender is, but since I don't post much and don't want to be ridiculed if I'm wrong :nervous: , I'll pm Chiri with my answer.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Thank you...

Chiri,

You certainly have that right. It is my area and it would be a pleasure to explain the grammatical rule....pero con ?l no me atrevo. As well, just not to deviate too much from the thread I also know through experience that grammar is easier to explain to someone when s/he knows what grammar is. ?Me entiendes?

-Lesley D-

Chirimoya said:

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Greetings and a Couple of Questions

Nal0whs said:
Is it just me or is DR1 being invaded by a bunch of newbies who simply attack people on DR1 without knowing them?

Lately I've seen several posts by newbies (100 posts or less) who are simply posting things about veteran DR1ers that is just stupid and incorrect!

I've been a victim of this rash, but I've also seen Pib, AZB, and a bunch of other DR1ers being attacked by these newbies who know nothing!

My question is if this is just me or is this rash of obnoxious newbies a real thing?

Does the fact that a person who has less than 100 posts here make them uninformed about the DR or the dr1 community? Isn't it important for a community like this to attract and keep new members? Does the "old guard" really resent newer posters questioning or challenging their opinions? My interests here would never include attacking anyone who has not attacked me first. I have been watching this board for a long time and have found a lot of very interesting and informed participants here, including yourself (although I will be sure to buy your first ticket on the metro if it comes during our lifetimes). I always enjoy your posts.

Regards

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Just what are the stats? Can our Administrators tell us if there is a rash of new posters? Can they also tell the clones from the true newbies? I think I've been seeing alot of first posts lately and think it's a good thing. Being relatively new myself it gives me the feeling that I have something valid to add to the site. There may be some abrasive new people but no more so then the old folks. Welcome! May DR1 grow bigger, stronger and prosper!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Naufrago said:
Just what are the stats? Can our Administrators tell us if there is a rash of new posters? Can they also tell the clones from the true newbies? I think I've been seeing alot of first posts lately and think it's a good thing. Being relatively new myself it gives me the feeling that I have something valid to add to the site. There may be some abrasive new people but no more so then the old folks. Welcome! May DR1 grow bigger, stronger and prosper!

In the past 12 months, the lowest amount of confirmed members in a given month was Nov 04 with 489, the highest was May 04 with almost 800.
We average around 550-600 new members per month. I was surprised Jan 05 wasn't the low month, as we had a few problems, but even with the board down, we still took in 589 new members.

The sign up stats have been pretty stable for the past 12 months.
The post count has been slowly increasing due to more members posting.

This puts another nail in the coffin for those that keep going on about retention and that newbies are scared to post on DR1.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Nal0whs said:
Is it just me or is DR1 being invaded by a bunch of newbies who simply attack people on DR1 without knowing them?

Lately I've seen several posts by newbies (100 posts or less) who are simply posting things about veteran DR1ers that is just stupid and incorrect!

I've been a victim of this rash, but I've also seen Pib, AZB, and a bunch of other DR1ers being attacked by these newbies who know nothing!

My question is if this is just me or is this rash of obnoxious newbies a real thing?
Although I've been reading this board since the demise of The Santo Domingo News (I think that's what it was called), you could call me a newbie. I've only made a small number of posts.

The last few years, the tone of the board seems to have gotten more hostile. People seem to be attacking each other any time they disagree. Sometimes it's done in a clever fashion and sometimes it's crude.

In the past people seemed to disseminate information. Now it seems people jut want to voice their opinion. (Wait, isn't that what I just did?)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
rellosk said:
In the past people seemed to disseminate information. Now it seems people jut want to voice their opinion. (Wait, isn't that what I just did?)

I think the problem is that some people focus on what they enjoy, be it good or bad. We all remember the bad road crash, but not the other 10,000 cars that we passed on the journey.

DR1 is a mirror image of many other large communities on the Internet, also non-virtual as well. People come and go, things change, the board slows down, the board picks up etc etc.

The mix of personalities is necessary for our long time survival.
If we all got on, all agreed with each other, all had similar opinions, this would be a very boring place and it would eventually die.
You need good and evil to keep the scales balanced :)

The board is full of very valuable pieces of information, some golden.
We have a lot more posts now than we did a few years ago so it takes
a little more effort to find or stay on top of those golden nuggets.

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
And What IF...

Robert said:
I think the problem is that some people focus on what they enjoy, be it good or bad. We all remember the bad road crash, but not the other 10,000 cars that we passed on the journey.

DR1 is a mirror image of many other large communities on the Internet, also non-virtual as well. People come and go, things change, the board slows down, the board picks up etc etc.

If we all got on, all agreed with each other, all had similar opinions, this would be a very boring place and it would eventually die.
You need good and evil to keep the scales balanced :)

The board is full of very valuable pieces of information, some golden.
We have a lot more posts now than we did a few years ago so it takes
a little more effort to find or stay on top of those golden nuggets.

The attraction of this community continues by being a place where people can get valuable information from informed people who know the DR and it's many faces, as well as being a place for regulars who have opinions about stuff. Kind of like a neighborhood bar where some people just come in for a drink and others come to share a moment?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's like any info you would read. Take what you like and can use and don't take what you don't like so seriously.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
If I can't be in my favorite place in the world, at least I can read and talk about it every day on this board. I haven't really noticed a mean tone here. A few shots over the bow here and there. But it just gives me a chuckle.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Te lo explico

Chiri,

I went back and looked at that tag line because you said it was a "tiny" error but really there are many grammatical concepts involved believe it or not in such a short phrase. Since I know you are interested here is my explanation:

The adjective "grande"/ "gran" in Spanish is what is called "antepuesto" o "pospuesto" . This means it can precede or follow the noun. Of course the meaning will change according to how it's used. Adjectives in general in Spanish can be:

1 Descriptive (pospuesto). Ejemplo La casa roja ("roja" follows the noun and describes that particular house. Not all houses are red).

2) Qualifying (antepuesto) = A qualifying adjective means "que sobresale por sus m?ritos" o "funci?n generalizadora". Ejemplo "Es un gran hombre", "Es un gran escritor". ("gran" preceding the noun is qualifying in nature. It's a characteristic that's already known about "el hombre" y "el escritor". One is not describing either noun).

3) Grammar rules dictate that "grande" becomes "gran" before a singular noun. This is called "ap?cope" but before a plural noun "grandes" xxx (the regular form is used). Ejemplo "grandes almacenes".

Ejemplos de ap?cope con otros adjetivos:

(before a noun the final -o- is dropped in the singular form only)

malo- becomes "mal", primero becomes "primer", alguno becomes "alg?n", ninguno becomes "ning?n" etc.

(Chiri I know you know this concept (ap?cope) but I just wanted to be thorough)

I have always tried to understand that tag line but I still don't based on the grammatical factors above and because I don't know the intended meaning the phrase is incomprehensible. As well the whole phrase should be preceded by the definite article "el".

-Lesley D-

Chirimoya said:
I agree that we have offenders across the spectrum. It's always best to take it lightly. I've learned not to take myself too seriously on these boards.

I always snicker when one veteran poster who is so snarky about other posters' spelling and grammar (a prejudice I share, BTW), yet their own tagline contains a teeny weeny booboo.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
rellosk said:
The last few years, the tone of the board seems to have gotten more hostile. People seem to be attacking each other any time they disagree. Sometimes it's done in a clever fashion and sometimes it's crude.

Maybe its a side effect of the crisis.

Remember, during the past couple of years the thriving economy chocked and almost died. Of course, things are bouncing back up at rates most people refused to believe a few months ago (despite what I have posted on my posts pointing towards such recovery, but many DR1ers just don't listen).

Maybe as the economy picks up, people will get more up beat.

However, I doubt it. People here are very pessimistic about everything Dominican as of late and quite frankly, many are missing the window of opportunity to get their act together now, that way when the next boom years come rolling in, they will make the most money out of it.

But, that is something only a handful of people understand. Most people jump on the boat once the boat left port and refuse to get into the boat when its in the dock! ;)

Think of the DR economy as the boat that is currently in the dock. Nobody believes the boat will set sail anytime soon, that is until the boat has set sail! Only those who jump in while the boat is boarding, will reap the benefits of the boat once its at sea. The rest will try to swim to take advantage of the upswing, but by the time they reach the boat, the boom years would have turned to busts and back and grumpy these folks will become.

Hipolito's wrath has been felt in everything Dominican, including this site. Hopefully things will change soon for many DR1ers.

As for me, I'm still reaping benefits from my own wise intuition when it comes to the economic performance of this country and a handful of DR1ers who have adhered some of my messages have actually profited themselves.

Like I always say, pessimism breads misery, but optimism brings opportunity.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Robert said:
DR1 is a mirror image of many other large communities on the Internet...
Unfortunately, I think you are right. When I go to yahoo message boards tied to stocks, it always seems to be one person attacking another, rather than disseminating information.
Robert said:
If we all got on, all agreed with each other, all had similar opinions, this would be a very boring place..
I agree. I just wish people would post their comments and barbs in the debate forum(s) and not tie up other threads.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
That was a lot of words to make a simple point....

Nal0whs said:
Maybe its a side effect of the crisis.

Remember, during the past couple of years the thriving economy chocked and almost died. Of course, things are bouncing back up at rates most people refused to believe a few months ago (despite what I have posted on my posts pointing towards such recovery, but many DR1ers just don't listen).

Maybe as the economy picks up, people will get more up beat.

However, I doubt it. People here are very pessimistic about everything Dominican as of late and quite frankly, many are missing the window of opportunity to get their act together now, that way when the next boom years come rolling in, they will make the most money out of it.

But, that is something only a handful of people understand. Most people jump on the boat once the boat left port and refuse to get into the boat when its in the dock! ;)

Think of the DR economy as the boat that is currently in the dock. Nobody believes the boat will set sail anytime soon, that is until the boat has set sail! Only those who jump in while the boat is boarding, will reap the benefits of the boat once its at sea. The rest will try to swim to take advantage of the upswing, but by the time they reach the boat, the boom years would have turned to busts and back and grumpy these folks will become.

Hipolito's wrath has been felt in everything Dominican, including this site. Hopefully things will change soon for many DR1ers.

As for me, I'm still reaping benefits from my own wise intuition when it comes to the economic performance of this country and a handful of DR1ers who have adhered some of my messages have actually profited themselves.

Like I always say, pessimism breads misery, but optimism brings opportunity.
.....but, I couldn't agree more. Some people wouldn't recognize opportunity if it came up and bit them in the A$$.

Firefan

Feb 17, 2005
I am new here - but have been active on various (mostly investing related) message boards for years. I have seen it multiple times; as the board grew more and more personalities arrived - including some lunatics/trolls - and then the tone just got much rougher. Not much to do about it - except to try to keep a civil tone nomatter what. Cheers! FF

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Nal0whs said:

Just because there newbies doesn't mean that they don't know anything. However, its possible that not all read the rules. I read the rules and understand that throwing insults isn't the way to get your point across.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This Is The "WORST" Thread I Have EVER Read!!

First "NightOwls" complains about "Newbies" attack posts.Common mistake of a "Newbie"! ("Newbie",Anyone who joined DR1 AFTER it split into many Forums,not just ONE!)He should have seen the "REAL Flame Wars!!"
Then the Thread is "Hijacked" into some utter nonsense about proper use of grammer.(Take it to a "Chat Room" or "PM" eachother!)
Then,"NightOwls" ,"Hijacks" his own thread about "Newbies",so he can tell us how smart he was to predict that the DR's economy would turn around!!(If this is a "Turnaround",I would hate to still be in a "downturn!)
Then we finally get back to "Newbies" once more!
I think that when people make ignorant posts,and try to pass themselves off as "So-called Experts" in areas where they truely know very little,they get what they deserve.To be ridiculed!
A "Old Timer" on DR1 has seen the "Charlatans" come,and then inevitably go!
"Catagorize" yourself!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Criss Colon said:
First "NightOwls" complains about "Newbies" attack posts.Common mistake of a "Newbie"! ("Newbie",Anyone who joined DR1 AFTER it split into many Forums,not just ONE!)He should have seen the "REAL Flame Wars!!"
Then the Thread is "Hijacked" into some utter nonsense about proper use of grammer.(Take it to a "Chat Room" or "PM" eachother!)
Then,"NightOwls" ,"Hijacks" his own thread about "Newbies",so he can tell us how smart he was to predict that the DR's economy would turn around!!(If this is a "Turnaround",I would hate to still be in a "downturn!)
Then we finally get back to "Newbies" once more!
I think that when people make ignorant posts,and try to pass themselves off as "So-called Experts" in areas where they truely know very little,they get what they deserve.To be ridiculed!
A "Old Timer" on DR1 has seen the "Charlatans" come,and then inevitably go!
"Catagorize" yourself!
And now you hijacked the thread to splur into personal attacks (let's face it, that's where is heading after the post you posted CC).

Yawn, when will it all end? When? :sleep: :bored: :disappoin