Is it possible to register a gun now that the previous owner has left the DR?

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
get rid of it

A couple of years ago, an expat friend of mine left the DR for good.

He owed me some money, but instead of paying me back in cash he gave me his Walther PPK. I'll never know how he managed it, but the gun was licensed in his name even though he didn't have his residency. He had a pet General do it for him.

I already have a legal 9mm registered in my name, but my missus has taken an interest in the Walther because it's nice and small and she could fit it in her purse. She wants to learn how to handle a firearm and wants to come with me next time I go to the poligano.

I know that it is a serious offence to be caught with an unlicensed weapon here, so it never leaves the house.

My expat friend is now long gone, living in Spain, never to return. There are no papers to reflect the change of ownership and I don't have his previous license.

Is there any way I could get it licensed to my Dominican missus?

Like they said before,you don't know in what that gun's been involved in.I'm sure that,you been ex RAF,you should know how to "melt it" in the privacy of your yard,which beats filing out the serial numbers which if found would incriminate you even more.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
This definitely sounds like a situation in which you'll need "a hookup". Otherwise, as others have mentioned sell it or if you feel morally obliged to, concoct a little homemade thermite to melt it down for you.

As a "gun nut", there are much better options for your wife to carry. Rule of thumb is: if you have to show it, you want to put that person down. There are options with more stopping power than a Walther. In a panic situation, you want every bullet to count...more so if that were my wife in that situation. Just some things to think about...

Last edited:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
A couple of years ago, an expat friend of mine left the DR for good.

He owed me some money, but instead of paying me back in cash he gave me his Walther PPK. I'll never know how he managed it, but the gun was licensed in his name even though he didn't have his residency. He had a pet General do it for him.

I already have a legal 9mm registered in my name, but my missus has taken an interest in the Walther because it's nice and small and she could fit it in her purse. She wants to learn how to handle a firearm and wants to come with me next time I go to the poligano.

I know that it is a serious offence to be caught with an unlicensed weapon here, so it never leaves the house.

My expat friend is now long gone, living in Spain, never to return. There are no papers to reflect the change of ownership and I don't have his previous license.

Is there any way I could get it licensed to my Dominican missus?

Not worth the trouble! Yes you can get it to be legal with assistance from an Armeria, but the costs and hassle to do so will be just about the same, if not more, than buying an already legit one.

The key to legalizing that gun is how your expat friend got it in the first place, if the gun was never registered, get rid of it as of yesterday. If it was purchased legal under his name and registered the process to transfer the gun ownership and registration will be the same as any other gun, but since your expat friend is not in the DR nor will he be coming back, that's where your wallet starts to cry foul.

In my honest opinion about the matter based on experience? Get rid of it and buy a gun from a less dubious background and clear channel to register it.

Just make sure you don't sell or dispose of this gun in the streets (please we have enough with the guns in the hands of criminals to add one more). Contact your local Armeria and tell them a "friend" was left this gun from an expat that left and he doesn't want to keep it home anymore for him. They'll be more than happy to assist you get rid of it. Don't try to make money of it, as this could further bring you problems if anything should go wrong...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And please see this thread which describes, by Pichardo, how the DR is working towards disarming the populations normal guns and will require "smart guns" that can only be fired by the registered owner.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/government/120749-possible-new-rules-haitian-immigrants-2.html#post1045482
Here is the text on that subject from Pichardo and I quote:

"The smart guns is more than just gimmicks windy, the DR is creating the regulation and law by which this will be enabled in our system. Before the gov can mandate the Police to recall all non-smart guns in the hands of permit holders, the regulation that provides that lawful mandate must be enacted. There are not less than 17 bills that must be passed and enacted before that rolls out here, all to be tested in the waters of the supreme court as well by the sure to come challenges from permit holders.

In essence the Interior y Policia will have permit holders bring their guns to them under a re-registration process, under which they'll be given an option to purchase a new Smart Gun to remain armed. The old guns will be seized (need the law in place to allow this step) and depending on how the program is inserted either sold to an international arms broker (with the values returned to the owners in the DR) or destroyed.

The DR is not under a dictadura windy, the Law must be in place for all that to take place and new Laws take time to be enacted, if you didn't notice it before. More so when we have pro-gun and strict gun control's sides here as well in the chambers.

Take a look at just one of the many bills in course for that goal:

Deputies approve stricter controls over guns

PRSC party deputy Victor (Ito) Bisono

Santo Domingo.- The Chamber of Deputies yesterday approved the bill which would stiffen controls and regulations on guns, ammunition and explosives, aimed at drastically hardening the penalties for the use, possession and sale of illegal weapons.The initiative with substantial changes to Law 36 on firearms bearing and possession was favored by the vote of 126 lawmakers, though a final vote was scheduled for Thursday morning, to hear and consider some observations raised by several deputies in the Chamber.The legislation proposed by pro-government PRSC party deputy Victor (Ito) Bisono had been making the rounds for several years in the lower Chamber.In passed into Law, it would criminalize the traffic of guns, including their alteration and modification. It would also create a government agency assigned to the Interior and Police Ministry, but would coordinate its operation with the Armed Forces.?The law?s primary target is to prevent and reduce the violence with firearms. We are sure that through a norm we can help discourage the use of weapons in actions that violate the law,? said the deputy Elpidio B?ez, who motivated the bill.He said the current system?s main problem is the inadequate control to register all guns, which in his view is an obstacle for the authorities to investigate and prosecute crimes.
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/loc...rols-over-guns

This is only one of the many in the chain that need to be in place before you see those Smart Guns you laugh about in the DR..."

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros