Is it safe to bring gold coins into the DR?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You know what scares me the most? People like the OP moving to the DR and making it his country.

Be careful what you tell him, this guy doesn't even trust his own mother but is trying you find out if expats own or who has brought down precious metal. I know you are all too smart to tell him what you own. :)

Like Tambo said you are a gringo to Dominicans they are just trying to find out which country this gringo comes from that's all. If they thought you were Dominican they wouldn't ask. They are trying to find out how much money you might have depending where you came from.

If you think you are paranoid now wait till you live in the DR for a few years :laugh: Oh sorry I mean a few months.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
You know what scares me the most? People like the OP moving to the DR and making it his country.

Be careful what you tell him, this guy doesn't even trust his own mother but is trying you find out if expats own or who has brought down precious metal. I know you are all too smart to tell him what you own. :)

Like Tambo said you are a gringo to Dominicans they are just trying to find out which country this gringo comes from that's all. If they thought you were Dominican they wouldn't ask. They are trying to find out how much money you might have depending where you came from.

If you think you are paranoid now wait till you live in the DR for a few years :laugh: Oh sorry I mean a few months.

LOL. I do trust my mother, I just don't trust her with my gold. For me, trust is a relative concept. I have "degrees" of trust in other humans, but there are certain areas where I have very little trust at all. You have no reason to be scared of me moving to the DR Anna, I'm a recluse who keeps to himself. I respect those who respect me, and I'm a generous person once you get to know me.

As far as the Dominicans, well, I have a cover story for them when I get there. The story goes like this......I'm Dominican American. I was born in the USA but my parents are from the DR and they didn't bother to teach me much Spanish. Now I've returned "home" to improve my Spanish. Is this the truth? No, it is a half truth. But I need to protect myself and that is the story I'm going with. Additionally, I plan to assimilate myself with the locals so that I don't draw unwanted attention. I'm not really paranoid..........just a bit cautious.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
'I don't recall seeing a single fat Dominican women, not one!'

please tell me where that DR is! ;)

No ****...american fast food garbage and fried food dominican high carb diet has the streets full of gorditas!!! even the very poor seem to stay nicely plump.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
LOL. I do trust my mother, I just don't trust her with my gold. For me, trust is a relative concept. I have "degrees" of trust in other humans, but there are certain areas where I have very little trust at all. You have no reason to be scared of me moving to the DR Anna, I'm a recluse who keeps to himself. I respect those who respect me, and I'm a generous person once you get to know me.

As far as the Dominicans, well, I have a cover story for them when I get there. The story goes like this......I'm Dominican American. I was born in the USA but my parents are from the DR and they didn't bother to teach me much Spanish. Now I've returned "home" to improve my Spanish. Is this the truth? No, it is a half truth. But I need to protect myself and that is the story I'm going with. Additionally, I plan to assimilate myself with the locals so that I don't draw unwanted attention. I'm not really paranoid..........just a bit cautious.

Even in times of all out crisis I find it hard to imagine gringos being worried for their safety in the DR (anymore than normal). Like you said, this is a smaller forgotten island that has a disconnect from typical political measures. If anything I think the Haitians are at the most risk if this contry suffers crisis. As for living on the downlow undercover---showing your cards on the countries largest expat site is not the best start! I do however enjoy some of your prognosis as we are living in new times, but remember when doing your reading-the "armegeddon entreprenuers" are plaguing the internet and bookshelfs selling their desperation theories- with, of course, their recommended risk aversion solutions-usually precious metals. Sadly like you say the gold standard good cause some nice gains in the future but the governments will make sure it doesnt run out of control as they will, as you say outlaw it and make its liquidity difficulty, hence hard to buy goods....You better buy a farm here as food will be largely tradeable and keep you fead at the same time.

May 5, 2007
The British Empire may not have collapsed, but it severely contracted. Plus, with all the surveillance cameras they have in London, along with the inability of citizens to legally own firearms, I would say that the UK is becoming a police state just like the USA.

The Dominican Republic is a country that many Americans couldn't find on a map. That is a good thing for many reasons. The only country in America that the USA finds to be strategically important is Cuba, it is not so much concerned with the other island nations. The Caribbean is close enough to the USA where the USA won't allow a rival power to come in and take over, but far enough to the south where the islands are general left to their own devices. As long as the DR doesn't try to develop long range ballistic missles, the USA won't bother them.

Guess this guy doesn't know about Pichardo's Predators?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listen, spiky tail, you seem like a nice enough guy for a nut job :) so i will be nice in return.

DR is not a place for everyone. it does not matter whether you have any family ties here, what colour you are or how statistics and cold reasoning point you. DR poses many challenges, not only in terms of security and love life but also i the most basic levels of, well, living, to put it simple. there are problems with power, water, driving. unavailability of your favourite american treats, high cost of quality items - from food to furnishing. this alone is enough to get many speedos in a twist.

and with the basics sharing and stirring you will also find that is very difficult to bond with people, to develop trust on any level. both with dominicans and gringos.

i think the only real connection to DR, the only thing that keeps gringos here is love. sounds stupid, i know. but it runs deeper than relationship. the only people who make it here, apart from having hard arse are those, who really love something, or someone, about DR. they love the land, people, tranquility, cheap pu**y, their partners - you name it. statistics and research tell you this is the place for you. it may not be.

so. just think it over, will you?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Darkie",,,

I may not be ass smart,or well read as you are :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:, but I do have a way with words!
"Few Words"!
Please come,document your success :p here for us.
You suffer,like too many US Blacks,with an inferiority complex.
Made worse by an:"Why's EVERYBODY Always Pick'n On Me" disorder.
It is obvious you are a "Sexist Pig",not good!
May I kindly suggest that you relocate to Santiago,and stay with "Shalena",aka "SKing" when you arrive.
She also is an "Afro-American".
I'm sure she would be more than happy to converse with you....REALLY :dead:
Finally,I Don't Like you!
You are a "Discredit to your RACE,....The "Human Race"!
And, you ARE a "Gringo",it has "Nada" to do with a person's "color" and everything to do with where you were "Born & Raised".
I your case,"somewhere in "Conspiracy Theory Land"!
STOP reading so many,"The Sky Is Falling",or will be soon,"self-help" books.
Again,"Not Good"!
"Welcome to the "DR,As WE Know IT!"
Cris Colon,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
I may not be ass smart,or well read as you are :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:, but I do have a way with words!
"Few Words"!
May I kindly suggest that you relocate to Santiago,and stay with "Shalena",aka "SKing" when you arrive.
And, you ARE a "Gringo",it has "Nada" to do with a person's "color" and everything to do with where you were "Born & Raised".
Again,"Not Good"!
Cris Colon,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

:bunny::bunny::cheeky::cheeky::nervous:I am a sexist pig also...does that make me a bad person?

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
listen, spiky tail, you seem like a nice enough guy for a nut job :) so i will be nice in return.

DR is not a place for everyone. it does not matter whether you have any family ties here, what colour you are or how statistics and cold reasoning point you. DR poses many challenges, not only in terms of security and love life but also i the most basic levels of, well, living, to put it simple. there are problems with power, water, driving. unavailability of your favourite american treats, high cost of quality items - from food to furnishing. this alone is enough to get many speedos in a twist.

and with the basics sharing and stirring you will also find that is very difficult to bond with people, to develop trust on any level. both with dominicans and gringos.

i think the only real connection to DR, the only thing that keeps gringos here is love. sounds stupid, i know. but it runs deeper than relationship. the only people who make it here, apart from having hard arse are those, who really love something, or someone, about DR. they love the land, people, tranquility, cheap pu**y, their partners - you name it. statistics and research tell you this is the place for you. it may not be.

so. just think it over, will you?

I've been thinking this over for three years. You seem to think that I just woke up yesterday and decided to move to the DR. This couldn't be further from the truth. And what is it with guys like you talking about how hard is it down there? You act like life is peaches and cream up here? Don't make stupid assumptions, there are people living in the DR that have it better than Americans living here, everything on this planet is dictated by $$$$ and if you're a millionaire living in the DR you're going to be living a lot better and easier than a unemployed broke guy living in the states who can't find a job and is about to become homeless. The word "easier" and "harder" is subjective and relative to the individual and situation. Do not make half baked assumptions. Life is a struggle for everyone no matter where I move I will have challenges and the DR is not special. Any move to a foreign country involves changes and challenges.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
"Few Words"!
Again,"Not Good"!

Cris, seriously, if you can't add anything positive to this thread, then I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't respond at all. Because you're wasting your time and mine. Moving to a foreign country is a major issue and I only want to converse with people who can add to the discussion...........not subtract from it.

Now, back to the subject of the thread. After the amount of reading I've done, I've come to the conclusion that I may have no choice but to sell my silver and buy some of it once I leave. This means I will get hit with taxes and premiums, but I have no other option. If I store them here then that puts them at risk. Shipping them is extremely expensive and in fact I have no destination in the DR for them and would be concerned about them even if I did have a destination. One of you guys posted a link to an ebook about moving gold and silver overseas, which I read. It seems the best solution to the problem is simply to open safe deposit boxes in places liike Austria or Dubai and then buy gold there and store it in the boxes. I can keep a little bit of gold and cash with me in the DR.

I've decided I'm not taking 200+ ounces of silver through the airport because there is no way I'd get through security/customs without raising eyebrows and the risk of getting it confiscated is too high. One of the essays I read on the net said that it is better to just sell it here and rebuy it later. No solution to this problem is easy and all involves risks or losses of capital. The smartest thing for me to have done would have been to avoid buying/storing gold in the USA in the first place, but I don't have a crystal ball where I can see every contingency and scenario I must solve.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I have another question. How hard is it for foreigners to pick up money via Western Union in the DR? Can this be done? Can you use your passport as a form of identification? Or must you be a citizen/resident?

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Even in times of all out crisis I find it hard to imagine gringos being worried for their safety in the DR (anymore than normal). Like you said, this is a smaller forgotten island that has a disconnect from typical political measures. If anything I think the Haitians are at the most risk if this contry suffers crisis. As for living on the downlow undercover---showing your cards on the countries largest expat site is not the best start! I do however enjoy some of your prognosis as we are living in new times, but remember when doing your reading-the "armegeddon entreprenuers" are plaguing the internet and bookshelfs selling their desperation theories- with, of course, their recommended risk aversion solutions-usually precious metals. Sadly like you say the gold standard good cause some nice gains in the future but the governments will make sure it doesnt run out of control as they will, as you say outlaw it and make its liquidity difficulty, hence hard to buy goods....You better buy a farm here as food will be largely tradeable and keep you fead at the same time.

A farm in the DR? That is something to consider in the future once I build more wealth and become comfortable with the country. Nothing in this world is fool proof. The wisest course of action is to just move down there and stay for a month. If I like it I will stay and if I don't I can always return. However, it is very unlikely that I will return to the states once I leave. I'm just getting really tired of the USA and the direction this country is headed in. I've studied history and I see all the signs. Anyone who doesn't see them is just ignorant or stupid.

As far as "showing my cards on the largest expat site," I've revealed nothing. Any information I have revealed is miniscule and some of it might even be misdirection. Needless to say, I have plenty of cards that I haven't revealed, and never will.

Last edited:

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Guess this guy doesn't know about Pichardo's Predators?

Once again, if you can't add to this thread, please don't post in it. I don't want to hear from "know it alls," because know it alls know nothing at all. No matter how long you've been living in the DR you don't know all there is to know about that country no more than I know all there is to know about the United States. Some of you guys are coming across as douche bags and you're making yourselves look like fools.

You don't know me, you don't know my background, the only thing you know is the little bit of information I've given you here, which isn't much. I appreciate those of you who ask logical questions and who have given me good advice and links. But some of you other people are making foolish assumptions based on insufficient data, it almost sounds as if some of you are trying to discourage me from moving to the DR which will of course make me hell bent on moving to the DR because you seem to be trying to discourage me. I embrace challenges, I don't back down from them! Besdies, if the DR is so hard as some of you make it out to be....then why did you move there from Germany or the USA or Great Britain, etc, why move to such a hard place if you could stay home in the land of milk and honey?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have another question. How hard is it for foreigners to pick up money via Western Union in the DR? Can this be done? Can you use your passport as a form of identification? Or must you be a citizen/resident?

Anyone can pick up money at WU. Passport is sufficient. But the vig is enormous, as they give you the money in Pesos at a bad rate. Not a good place to transfer money.

May 5, 2007
Once again, if you can't add to this thread, please don't post in it. I don't want to hear from "know it alls," because know it alls know nothing at all. No matter how long you've been living in the DR you don't know all there is to know about that country no more than I know all there is to know about the United States. Some of you guys are coming across as douche bags and you're making yourselves look like fools.

You don't know me, you don't know my background, the only thing you know is the little bit of information I've given you here, which isn't much. I appreciate those of you who ask logical questions and who have given me good advice and links. But some of you other people are making foolish assumptions based on insufficient data, it almost sounds as if some of you are trying to discourage me from moving to the DR which will of course make me hell bent on moving to the DR because you seem to be trying to discourage me. I embrace challenges, I don't back down from them! Besdies, if the DR is so hard as some of you make it out to be....then why did you move there from Germany or the USA or Great Britain, etc, why move to such a hard place if you could stay home in the land of milk and honey?

Drone

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you're a millionaire living in the DR you're going to be living a lot better and easier than a unemployed broke guy living in the states

yes, but ain't a millionaire, are you. and, on a second thought, you better do make a gold butt plug from your meager 10 oz. it seems like you are wearing one already.

Allaffair

Aug 17, 2012
Why not?

It's only a form of insurance, not necessary to label a person a conspiracy nut just because they plan for the worst. That's what insurance is. It is a very valid question as far as what to do with your precious metals. The worst place to keep them would be a bank or safety deposit box, if that institution closes there is no guarantee you will have access to the metals.

I would find a safe place to discreetly bury the gold and just bring the silver to the dr in small denominations, to have it close in case you need it. If for some reason the economy was to tank, it may have a global implant affecting many other economies. The last thing you want to be holding is a paper note. You would be much better off with ammo, metals, he'll even toilet tissue may have more value.

So choosing To move some of your paper currency into metals is a smart insurance decision.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Where do these "Village Idiots" come from???
"GLOBAL Village" at that!
Put your "Sugestions" in the "Porcelin Suggestion Box"!
"BUTT", hang on to your "Butt Plug"!
CC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Where can one find a good "Pirates' Cove" to safely store one's valuables these days??

A gold coin was found at the archaeological dig at Playa Grande... bury it there... that coin was 1500 or some such date.. minted in Spain for the New World

Banks ??? hah ! Outdated, we need a good cave